Aerospace designs of the future

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by draqon, Oct 7, 2007.

?

What needs will you have for aerospace industry in the future?

1. I dont travel, I will have no needs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Indirect needs from aerospace technologies...such as more efficient materials and technologies

4.5%
  3. Normal traffic needs...not more or less than now

9.1%
  4. I would need faster travel options and a more diversified area of service

4.5%
  5. It wouldnt hurt to have space tourism integrated within my life as well

4.5%
  6. I will need to have daily trips to and from orbit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. My needs will include supersonic speeds on regular basis as well as travels to the moon and back

4.5%
  8. I would need to travel on weekly basis from Mars, moon, Earth orbit and Earth

9.1%
  9. I would need to travel on daily basis from Mars, moon, Earth orbit and Earth

4.5%
  10. I would need to travel on hourly basis from Mars, moon, Earth orbit and Earth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. I will need to travel and be back through solar system in a day

9.1%
  12. I will need to travel to other galaxies on regular basis

13.6%
  13. I will feel inadequate with one day from here to galaxies...teleportation would be more to my needs

36.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Looks like it really doesn't do that great of a job after all does it now? This is a quote from your link.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

it does not protect...I just mentioned it as a possible way to protect a specific small area of a spaceship that needs to have least radiation exposure.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

It could work, it is a primitive step for the quest to invent the anti-matter shield.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But again I ask if the beam is only pencil thin how can it protect an entire area the size of a room?

8. draqon Banned Banned

like I said...it does not. Unless you have many beams...but the E expenditure would be great. I think the best way to protect a spaceship from radiation is to set up magnetic field around spaceship by utilizing either coils or plasma....whichever.

Also an interesting thought here is that plasma magnetic fields can be increased by exposing it to laser beams.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2005PhPl...12h3104H

9. draqon Banned Banned

anti-matter shield? what does this have to do with antimatter?

10. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Protecting a ship from radiation! Or from anything!

11. draqon Banned Banned

protecting the ship from radiation...not from anything.

12. kmguru Staff Member

I have designed submarines using Lorentz Forces that works without propellers. The same thing can be uses inside our atmosphere using an elliptical design. However, I am not sure the same design can be used in vacuum without testing it. It should because Force creates the thrust.

If not I have a design using 220 Tesla propulsion system. It should interact with gravity, but without testing in space it is hard to say.

As to teleportation, I am working on it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. draqon Banned Banned

if this system you made interacts with gravity...whats limiting you to test in on Earth with atmosphere? :shrug:

14. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

I proposed an idea similar to that in my engineering class. It used charged particles to create the lorentz force that would allow particles around it to help the object manipulate gravity.

15. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Supplies and the right technology.

16. draqon Banned Banned

Lorentz force ... in order to be sufficient enough to cancel gravity force...needs to be soooooo hight. Can you imagine the magnetic field needed for such a device?!

17. kmguru Staff Member

That was my Engineering project too and my submarine model worked. I got an A.

We already have submarines operational using this method (I suspect...wink!). We have the technology now to do it within the atmosphere. I am sure our government is testing it. It would be stupid not to, since the technology is simple and they have it since 1969.

As to high Tesla, the the coil blows up at high Tesla due to pressure/force exerted between turns. Need to find a different method to generate the field. Same field can be used as force field. I have some ideas....perhaps one of these days...

18. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

It would be very inefficent and difficult to do with our current technology, but I see the lorentz force as more of an option for space travel.

19. draqon Banned Banned

explain to me...I never did understand this...why cant ion engines using Lorentz force work on Earth?

20. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Unless I am mistaken, the earth's crust is not magnetically charged, so using the lorentz force is not a very efficient idea at the moment.

21. kmguru Staff Member

The surface transport needs two type of forces. Vertical force to take off and keep it at an altitude and horizontal force for propulsion. We can create both and move it. Using a computer, we can control the force (or current) the same way we can control current in an Aluminum or magnesium metal production.

All it needs is money and a place to build the model. However moving a large object to earth orbit may require energy levels that a small powerplant may not generate. Imagine the energy amount of a shuttle. Without serious calculation, it is hard to say, specially if the magnetic force acts against gravity in a different way.

Going to space is a whole different issue. It is not recommended without some strong force field surrounding the front of the craft.

22. Saquist Banned Banned

matter energy conversion through a stable wormhole would be nice....

But I think NASA is running backwards toward the future. Going back to space capsules and thick reentry armor is a bad idea. This will not indeer the public toward space travel and the public's opinion is important when we think about how much money we'll want to dump in the space agency in the future. NASA isn't commerical and they don't have a commerical mindset...

That may be the biggest grounder for the organization and I really do think it's time NASA works through the "blowing space shuttles up" phase before we go back to massive Energia and Saturn Five platforms...

23. kmguru Staff Member

The reason NASA is going backwards is that the place has been specialized to the nth degree. New innovation is like Blackswan - they need super generalist who can do many things.

No body including large companies look for Jack of all things these days. So, no new knowledge is formed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.