Anti-Trump due to his wealth?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dinosaur, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

There are many folks who resent extremely wealth people merely because of their wealth. It is obviously due to jealously.

While Trump is a controversial individual, I wonder how much of the anti-Trump sentiment is due to his wealth.

We have never had a president as affluent as him.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

I would guess almost none. Most of the anti-trump sentiment has been based on what he has done, not his financial status.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Probably none. I don't think people care about Trump's wealth. We have had wealthy presidents before. There are many reasons why Trump is unsuitable for office. His wealth is not one of them.

Here are my issues with The Donald:

1) Blatant Dishonesty, He Lies a Lot. He is Prone to Making Things Up
    2) His Severe Narcissism Makes Him Vulnerable to Manipulation by Foreign Powers e.g. Putin and Could Lead to Military Conflicts, Economic Disasters, and Mass Confusion, e.g. His Recent Executive Oders
    3) Ignorance and an Unwillingness to Learn
    4) Incoherent Foreign and Domestic Policies.
    5) His Appeal to Ignorance and Fear
    6) His Delegitimization of Our Democracy With His Wild and Unfounded Assertions e.g. His Attacks on the Free Press, The First Amendment, and Our Electoral Processes, and His Push Towards Authoritarian Government.
    7) His Support for Torture as an Interrogation Tool
    8) His Fiscal Profligacy as Demonstrated by His Stated Policies.
    9) His Support of Those Who Would Allow Discrimination and Disunity
    10) His Support for Antiabortionists: In My View Government Shouldn't Interfere With Those Decisions. These Decisions are Between A Woman and Her Physican
    11) Excessive Deregulation which would set ourselves up for another Great Recession
    12) Government by Tweets isn't a Good Idea. It Could Cause a Disaster, Including the End of Mankind, e.g. Reagan's joke about a US nuclear attack on the Soviet Union. The Donald Just Doesn't Think Through His Actions or the Consequences of His Actions.
    13) Trump's Total Lack Of Moral Fiber, The Man Doesn't Have a Moral Compass. I Find That Deeply Disturbing. He Will Say and Do Whatever He Thinks He Needs to in Order to "Win".

Now here are a few things in which I agree with The Donald's Stated Positions:

1) Increased Infrastructure Spending
    2) Tax Code Simplification
    3) Improved Obamacare
    4) Repatriation of Capital
    5) Increased Defense Spending
    6) Continue the Fight Against Terrorism

Most Democrats are supportive of those things too. There is bipartisan support for those things. So if The Donald is serious about those things, it's very likely he can get those things passed through Congress. Unlike Republicans, Democrats are not obstructionists first last and always when the other party is in power.

Trump also says he wants to "drain the swamp" in Washington DC. If he were serious about it, I would support that too. But thus far he has done very little to "drain the swamp", and he has taken actions which are inconsistent with draining the swamp. So I have to doubt his sincerity. If he were serious about draining the swamp, I think most Democrats would be supportive of that effort too. He has done nothing about the Citizens United Ruling. All he has done is issue one executive order banning his appointees from becoming a lobbyist after leaving his administration. It isn't a law and it is totally unenforceable, and The Donald should know that. His aids certainly do. The Donald needs a little less, ok a lot less, show and a lot more action.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not so obvious. It can be because of the way he made his wealth, and because rich, politically active people tend to have undue influence on public policy because of the influence their wealth can buy. Also because his cabinet is full of rich people. Also because he's promoting legislation that helps the rich to the detriment of the average citizen.

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

If Americans are as shallow as that, then truly we, and the world do have a problem!
    Australia also has a PM, who is a multi, and I can say with utmost certainty, that he will be resented or otherwise on the job he does as PM.

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Almost all of his popularity, the pro-Trump sentiment, is due to his wealth.

It's very common for bullying assholes who are rich by accomplishment of some kind (and their entourage) to think that people dislike them from envy. It's a thinking disorder - from the outside, it looks like projection: they themselves have a tendency to envy the rich and dislike those who outdo them in accomplishment, which they must struggle to overcome, so everyone must and some fail to overcome it, seems to be the sequence.

Something similar happens in anorexia - the starving, skeletal victim often thinks the disturbed witnesses envy their self discipline and appearance. There is even some similar recruitment of onlookers.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  10. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I agree

No one worries about his wealth or that he gave almost 2 million to his own party

He will be judged on the total stuff up of the job he is supposed to be doing

I asked in other post if America would like to swap Trump for Turnbull

The offer still open

We could also throw in Abbott a previous PM

In fact you might have to take both because Abbott has been a thorn in the side of Turnbull ever since Turnbull rolled him

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

How about we give em Pauline Hanson?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Michael 345 likes this.
  12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

One of the most important and disturbing attributes Trump has, for someone with such access is missing from your list Joe!

HIS IMPULSIVENESS !

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  13. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Way to go

Of course we would have to add Melania Trump to the exchange

Melania Trump for Pauline Hanson

Now that's a deal as Donald might say

paddoboy likes this.
  14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Citation required. Trump seldom gives his own money away.

15. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Mistake sorry I am referring to Australian PM in my reply to paddoboy

Backlash over Malcolm Turnbull’s $1.75m donation to Liberal Party

“I have contributed my money, my after-tax money, to the Liberal Party, standing up for the values that I believe are critically important for Australia’s future,” Mr Turnbull told reporters at a media conference.

The Australian - Australian newspaper

Seems Malcolm has a big mouth

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017