Apple iPhone (lots of pics!)

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by phonetic, Jan 10, 2007.

1. phlogistician Banned Banned

Microsoft haven't stolen a trademark have they? Cisco have a product on the market with the brand name 'iPHone', and it is a phone. For Apple to release a product with the same name after attempting, and failing to buy the trademark from Cisco (registered way back in 1996), shows they are shouting 'FUCK YOU' at Cisco.

Apple got into a legal fight over the Ipod interface, and now again with a trademark. Can they play fair?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

One good design aspect on the iPod was the clickwheel, making menu navigation simple and easy. Those pics dont look official though. I've seen some ideas for the iPhone with a radial clickwheel with the numbers around the rim. That looked cool.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sandoz Girl Named Sandoz Registered Senior Member

The question is: can I read my emails and manage my schedule with that thing like I can with a BlackBerry?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Joaquin Sleuth Registered Senior Member

Just plain and unimaginative, Seen much nicer slide phones. Samsung phones are lush

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  8. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Yes, it has a touch-screen keyboard and allows you to surf the 'net and check e-mail. Check out their main page and look at the video, it shows it in action.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

- N

9. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

10. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

fucking ugly!

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

And the question is, if it does the same stuff as your Blackberry, are you going to shell out hundreds of dollars to buy it?

Windows Mobile Smartphone/PDAs do all that stuff too, and have done for years(therefore are more tested, and cheaper, having been on the market longer), this Apple product is nothing new, it's just being launched with the usual Apple over big 'Ta-DAAAAH!' like they invented something revolutionary. Sorry, I meant to just say 'invented something'.

13. Sputnik Banned Banned

What !!!!

No GPS , zoom on the camera or videorecording with sound !!!!!

Infineon has recently invented a GPS chip sized 7x7 millimeter - it will hit the
    mobilephonemarket this year .........

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Very pretty.

By the way, Cingular is switching back to AT&T. Do you think that the standard AT&T will detract from the art of the unit? Cingular is so catchy and meaningless. Just like Apple.

15. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

One of the integrated features of iPhone is random-access graphical voicemail, so one needn't listen to voicemails in order, but is allowed to go directly to those of interest. During the presentation Steve Jobs said that this feature was only possible through close collaboration with the network provider (Cingular). Atlantic Telephone and Telegraph does indeed seem to be an antiquated name for a partner of such a device...

Then again, apples are much older than telegraphs.

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

I can get a version of my PDA/Smartphone with built in GPS (although I didn't spring for the option yet) and I can record video with sound. Some 3G smartphones (like the Motorola A1000) have 'assisted GPS' using the 3G network to locate the phone, that this is missing from the NOTiPhone is pretty poor.

Ooh, I can't wait for that to filter into the market! GPS in a phone would not only be useful in itself, but there could be some killer GPA related Apps too, like automatically finding local places of interest, ATMs, Taxi firms etc, if it was integrated with 'Yellow Pages' info.

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

18. Chris_Smith Registered Senior Member

Shouldn't they just call it an ipod phone? I mean it's gonna be just an ipod with phoning facility... ipod's a unique enough name - just add phone to the end of it. Then the product can become marketed as the leading "swiss army knife" of hand-held media gadgetry surely...

19. Meanwhile Banned Banned

Well, Apple started the iName trend with the iMac way back in the late 90s. Cisco patented a product, naming it the iPhone, but never used it nor renewed the patent within a legal time period:

The Cisco iPhone trademark was registered 11/16/1999 (Reg. No. 2293011). In order to keep a trademark registration active, you have to file a Declaration of Use on or before the sixth anniversary of the registration date, in which you state, under penalty of perjury, that you have been using the trademark continuously during that period. The sixth anniversary would have been 11/16/2005.

Evidently, Apple was on top of the game already when they went ahead with the iName.

20. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

It also surfs the full internet with a Safari browser, and sends rich text/html emails.

21. river-wind Valued Senior Member

good find!

I currently have a Windows Media 5 phone, and the figerprints/scratches/etc were all avoided with a 4x5" screen protector for $2.50. Basically, it's a static-cling film of plastic that you put on the screen, and then replace if it gets too scratched up.

My current issue is what type of CPU it has (rumors abound!), and if 3rd party development is possible, what areas of the full OSX will be available. Apple has stated that Cocoa will be included (OSX's development system akin to .net), and WebCore is included (though Java may not be).

If the phone is truely as locked down as is rumored, then I see a short-term uptake, but not an iPod level of success over the years. iPods are closed, but they also are a compliment to phones that allow for ring-tones, games, and a complete array of apps on the high-end.

Apple looks like it's targeting the iPhone at the common user, but with a pricetag and 80% of the feature set of a smartphone.

I'm *really* looking foreward to:
    1) playing with the multi-touch screen
    2) the second revision of the device

22. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

Yeah, and it seems to me there's no organiser either,...

But nevertheless, pretty cool though.

23. I've had an iPod Nano for about a year now and it's taken a beating.
    Lost it for 2 months. Dropped it on gravel. It's always in my pocket with change and it's not scratched at all....

I'll admit the iPhone looks a little tempting, but other than my trusty (although kinda shit) iPod i don't bother with Apple.
    I'm in the UK and looking for a new phone

It has to be MP3 enabled, i.e decent speakers and a memory of at least a couple gig.
    Camera, quality not important.

Anyone recomend anything?

I tried asking in Phones 4 U but those guys talk shit, they'll do anything for a sale