Are soldiers murderers?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by John J. Bannan, Jul 3, 2007.

1. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

If killing is wrong, then are soldiers murderers?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Of course, but its state sanctioned murder.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Murder is a legal term, therefore killing in military operation is not murder.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Kill one man they call you a murderer, kill many men they call you a warrior, kill all men they call you God.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Does the term military operation extend to dictators wiping out entire groups?

9. John99 Banned Banned

There is no way to get around the definition:

The killing of another person.

The crime of homicide committed either intentionally or with wicked disregard for the consequences.

Manslaughter
    Murder
    Homicide
    Justifiable Homicide - your example

You can be a hero by taking a life to save a life\lives but in the end what is it?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, you're trying to equate "killing" and "murder". Those are two very different terms, both legally and socially.

By the way, who ever said claimed that killing is wrong? Just because some people say so doesn't make it a fact. If one kills someone to prevent that person from raping your ten-year old daughter, is that "wrong"? Is it "murder"?

Baron Max

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Sure it does. Look at Darfur ...the whole world stands by and watches thousands of people killed, raped and driven from their homes. With all of us watching, and no one doing jack-shit about it, it must be just fine to do it, huh?

Might makes right, Sam. If it wasn't right, someone would do something about it ...instead of just talk!

Baron Max

12. John99 Banned Banned

It is justifiable homicide, just as with a police officer\peace officer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justifiable_homicide - seeeee.

13. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

It is killing, but not murder. I am not saying, nor have I implied that killing is not wrong. Nor have I stated, nor implied that murder is wrong. I have merely stated that murder is a very specific subset of killing.

14. John99 Banned Banned

15. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

yea but they are doing what there paid for so you cant hold them resposible hold the goverment.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Killing is always just killing. The state makes some kinds of killing murder, subject to criminal penalties. It also makes some kinds of killing officially sanctioned like the death penalty, military action, or self-defense.

17. mybreathyourlung Registered Senior Member

Well, yes, it's murder and it's still wrong. But in our society, we see it as justifiable with the consequence depending on your judge/jury. Noone could really blame you for killing the person raping your child, but as an act, it's still wrong.

edit: I believe doing so would fall under non-criminal under duress homicide...

18. John99 Banned Banned

It is justifiable homicide, which is a legal term (i am not a lawyer) just read the links.

In this sense soldiers are NOT murderers.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

We have US soldiers over in Iraq who are being charged with murder. Even in war there are differences in killing.

20. mybreathyourlung Registered Senior Member

I'm glad I read this thread, as I was always curious about what would happen to me legally, if say, I shot somone who had broken into my house and I had good reason to shoot them.

21. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

You are all fools! You're blind simpletons, fore I am god here and you are my puppets. I control this discussion, let us review...

To end life, any life, this is killing. The term killing means to end life, therefore if you do this you are a killer aka murder. There is no escape, doubt me and I shall strike you down my animal things, fore I made you in the image of a monkey :S

As for the question whether killing it wrong, to take anyones life without regard is wrong, even if they're raping your 10 year old daughter. She wouldn't die just get a little bit of trama from it, so you can't go killing everyone Baron just cuz they're doing something wrong.

Now as civilized beings this is the truth, but because you're all monkeys this is not truly possible. Go my monkey creatures, kill and eat the dead, good luck finding me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

A LITTLE BIT OF TRAUMA!!!! Killing you would be justifiable homicide right now. $%^&*$# :splat:

23. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Calm down, you are female and logically more protective of the young. We live in reality though.