Are we relly using the human brain to only 4%

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by cool slayer, Jan 16, 2004.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Not at all, I try my damnedest to use less than 1 % as much as I can!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Yes we can. Researchers pop their test subjects in an MRI machine and give them various tasks to do. They can watch the various parts of the brain 'light up like a Christmas tree'. Some tasks require more brain activity than others, and no part of the brain is unused.
    The whole thing simply is not open to question. There are many interesting questions about brain activity still to be answered, but how much of the brain is used is not one of them.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. FelixC Registered Senior Member

A: just a few quick comments

1. my cousin bought it, we watch it, what a waste, its a mixed bag of science, pseudo-science & new age, nice graphics

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. its some kind of new age cult that did this, its not science but uses science as a prop, to lend credibility to itself
    3. all information is good to know, but how or why you use it is the difference, K seems to be on the right track, while you are off-track

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Are we relly using the brain???

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Whit max ewe axe?

9. swarm Registered Senior Member

No she isn't. Read the whole article...

10. swarm Registered Senior Member

Actually they usually are just seeing echos and distortions, as opposed to seeing things which "aren't there." Despite the name, it takes a pretty stiff dose to actually see full on hullucinations. Other substances, or means, can more readily produce hullicinations, tropanes (warning - unlike acid, tropane overdoses can easily become fatal), sleep deprivation, sensory deprevation, hypnosis, etc.

Something which one person only can see, which has no physical presence detectible by any one else, is "there" only in their mind.

11. swarm Registered Senior Member

Actually they did quite a bit of research until the government shut them down. Quite a number of very promising treatments for a number of difficult problems were cut off.

There is still a dedicated group of scientists working with these substances, some interesting results recently for cluster headaches and mushrooms, MDMA and PTSD, MDMA and terminal illness, mushrooms and DMT and religious responses, and ibogain and opiate addiction. You can find out more at http://www.maps.org

12. krokah Registered Senior Member

50% of the brain is used to process information from the eye. Think about it, space...depth...color...movement...threats. Think about the process of driving a car or riding a bicycle down a busy road. Or better, looking for threats to your life while hunting for food. Processing the information, reaction and decision making takes a lot of computing power.

13. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Actually, I believe that even if there was a way of how to use the full capacity of our brain it wouldn't do us good. It would be like overheating a motor, and that doesn't seem quite good now does it?

Also, I don't think that it is possible to use 100% of the brain at once as there is no task, at least not known to me, that would need the full potential of our brain...mmh maybe multi-tasking, but even then....