Are you a Republican or a Democrat?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jan Ardena, Feb 28, 2019.

?

What is your current position?

1. I am republican

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I am a democrat

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. I am traditionally a republican

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I am traditionally a democrat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I changed from republican to democrat

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. I changed from democrat to republican

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  7. I don’t involve myself in American politics

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Thank Obama - right?
    I mean, Trump hasn't trashed everything Obama did yet.
    btw: you appear to be confusing employment rates and unemployment rates - careful.
    You aren't looking it. Hint: what would it take to get your mother to send you as a refugee to the US/Mexican border?
    No bottom to the Republican stupid, apparently.
    The people who committed the crime. That would be - among others - you.
    Don't worry - you'll be paying for your own, not mine.
    There was no invitation sent.

You made the mess, you should pay for it. If you start busing refugees around, they should by rights arrive at your doorstep in a couple of days - the only downside is that you will put them in cages anyway, which is not what they deserve, but at least you will be picking up the tab for once.

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Maybe we have to act humanely. Remember when we rejected shiploads of Jews who were then killed by the Nazis? And there is no proof whatsoever that we have to sacrifice anything, they strengthen our nation. They aren't the cause of problems. And it's the law. What problems do we have to remedy? I thought the economy was great, you can't have it both ways. Either we are doing great, and more people would add to the economy, or we are in such a fragile state that more immigrants would be the thing that breaks us. Which is it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I realize this, and wonder if the current machine can be fixed or if it could ever be replaced completely. We seem to have a mindset that these two parties are all there is, and ever will be. Candidates running in other parties don’t get media attention, so that’s part of the issue, too.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Bothsiderism. Bollocks. One party tries to do the right thing, the other is utterly corrupt and evil. Easy choice.

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

Sure. We can always ask. They don't always have one.
    Good question. I will answer it once you answer mine. Here it is again:

Let's say you are pulled over for speeding. CPS takes your kid away and locks him up, and doesn't tell you where he is. (You are a criminal, see, and they separated him for the kid's benefit, because they will do a better job than you will.) A week later your child dies from a fever. Were you responsible for their death?
    Good. My grandparents were refugees of the potato famine (or specifically of its aftereffects.) I am glad that they were allowed into the country with nothing more than the clothes on their backs and a little money.

9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Let's put it in proper context: Border patrol finds me and my children wandering in the desert. My child is suffering from severe dehydration because I was too ignorant to see the dangers of dragging her through the desert without water. Border patrol takes my child and provides care, but because of my negligence, my daughter dies. Bill, who should we blame? The father? The people who encourage illegal immigration. Or the authorities dealing with the overall problem?

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Easy answers are always more comforting.

They are so deeply entrenched, even the media plays two-party politics, To vote for a third tarty candidate is pretty much throwing your vote away. It seems we are stuck with the choices of Coke or Pepsi. Don't know about the future of politics.

I think measured immigration is a good thing, more so when the individual adds to the economy. I've worked with a guy from Pakistan who was simply here to work, and went through the process to work here legally. He has my respect. When you import a million destitute people with few skills, you are importing people who will be dependent on our resources for years to come. It might take the next generation to integrate completely. Taking on a bunch of people from the southern border is no trivial matter. I understand your compassion, but it's not so simple as having a big heart. You are accepting responsibility for them, or you are condemning them to worse treatment by unscrupulous people here.

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The Republican Party has been taken over by fascism, and it is doing evil in consequence. That isn't an answer - and it isn't easy.
    Bothsides is bullshit.
    And it is also the Republican Party line, these days. The media plays the Republican Party line.
    You should have thought of that before voting for evil Republican foreign policy in the Americas. Next up: the fallout from Venezuela.

Your best bet would be to help the rest of us remove the current US Republican administration, and install a more competent (or at least less criminal) one. Then you could help us get rid of the Republican Party, and scatter its shitpile of bigots and fundies and imbeciles to the political winds.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

Another interesting question! I will answer it once you answer mine.

I realize this question is making you VERY uncomfortable, because it is forcing you to think about what is happening to these people from the perspective of things that can happen to you. And even considering that such things can happen to you can cause a lot of cognitive dissonance to people who have safely walled off such considerations, because they only happen to "them" - not you.

Now, can you answer it? Or does it cause you so much cognitive dissonance that you can't even consider it?

13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Imagine what would happen if we changed our attitude towards this, though. If we started voting for who we want, instead of against who we don't want. It might take a while, but eventually, another party might gain in popularity.

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The Democratic Party primaries often provide that opportunity, and have for many years now.
    In the current emergency - a fascist Party takeover of the US government - the calculation might be different.

15. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

It's a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils at this point. Sorry to say.

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

Agreed. Unfortunately we chose the worst of two evils this time.

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

More to the point: not choosing the greater of two evils.
    Also: not lying about the choices, to make it seem as if some of them were evil when they were not.
    So never voting Republican - for starters.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Nonsense, immigrants are law abiding and hard working. We have work for them. They will strengthen our economy. Anyway, those are trivial concerns for a Christian, unless you're actually a Trump racist.

19. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

So, if I disagree with you, I'm a racist?

20. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I have no regrets. What about you? Had the Democrats offered us a better candidate, would there be one in the White House right now?

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

74% of Democrats in a recent poll would vote for AOC if she was eligible to run for President. Clearly, even Democrats are tired of the current options.

22. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I would like to see a "none of the above" option on the ballot. If "none of the above" wins, the parties have to go back and give us new choices. (None of the above could have won the last election. 30% voted for Trump, 30% for Clinton & 40% didn't vote.)

wegs likes this.
  23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

You are and always have been a hardcore racist. It's not anybody else's fault.
    There's this thing called a "primary".
    There are also local elections, which act to select future candidates for higher office.
    The habit of talking about "the Parties" as if they were some kind of club or alien group that drops out of the sky to present the citizenry with candidates for office, is probably Republican propaganda originally. It's like talking about "Washington" or "the Government" whenever the latest Republican disaster or atrocity is on the table - Newt Gingrich's program for campaigning, back in the 1990s. Reagan also.
    Not "us". The nonvoter. Offering you anything is a waste of time.

Maybe. But trying to pander to the shitpile of Republican voters that elected Trump has a long track record of failure and disaster - so by "better" we aren't talking about anyone you would vote for.