Are You An Easy Believer?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by stathispao, Aug 26, 2001.

1. stathispao Registered Member

Are you an easy believer?When something comes to your ear, what do you do?Do you believe it at once or at least easy, or do you erase it without thinking it?
    Please send me your ideas about that.I'm asking about this because when a day a story really true came to my ear, iv just forgot it.In the near future that story had a lot of bad consequences to me and to my friends.
    Sincerely stathispao. Also send to this email

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

I have dreams and sometimes visions and gut feelings. Sometimes they come true others they don't. But what I do is usually just put them away in my mind. If something happens then at least you were somewhat warned and will find it easier to deal with.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Stathispao,

I've learnt over the decades to ignore gut feelings since they are invariably deceptive. I have learnt to recognize the hard sell, having being duped sufficiently often, and I can recognize the truth when real proofs are presented. I immediately reject the hard sell since if there was anything really worthwhile then the hard sell would not be needed, proofs speak for themselves.

I have found there are many things I want to believe but very few that turn out to be true or real. Time and experience allows one to develop powers of discrimination that make it easier to judge the credible from the incredible.

The best guideline is to keep an open mind, and by that I mean a readiness to believe anything, but temper those feelings by searching for proof of truth and reality. The result is curiosity combined with healthy skepticism.

Cris

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Needless to say...

I´m an easy believer! Unless I get strong signals of the opposite I always trust people to tell the truth.

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Welcome to Sciforums, stathispao. I do hope you enjoy it here.

And from that statement we can deduce that at times you find your toes stepped on. Most people wind up being much the same as Cris for self-defense. Why expose one's vulnerabilities to those who would take advantage? I don’t say this to belittle any of the posters here, only to make an observation.

9. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

This is why with dreams, visions, gut feelings I always just leave it at the back of my mind so to speak. Shelf-it might be another term. If it comes true then it comes true. but if I recognise a situation then I think "wow" or something comes true I think "hmmmm...interesting". But this did come in handy once the night my dog died at the vet under supervision. He was doing so well for 4 days, the vet said that he had little chance of dying. So I was optimistic. That night I had a dream, my mum did as well. I was going down a highway at night time and could see the street lights and a voice said that he had been put down. I would have never been able to go to school that day if I wasn't told to hand in my english assignment and my little brothers english assignment(he was to upset to go to school). I had already lived through it that night. It was and still is a very sad time. I had a dream the night before he was attacked, of me being handed him and having to carry him over a very unstable bridge, I carried him without falling. I was thinking about it that day during English class. I started my english assignment that afternnoon. I was in my room and my mum yelled out that he had been attacked. 4 1/2 days later he died a few hours after completing my assignment.

I make the connection with English class because anohter dream I had a few years ago was explained to me by my English teacher without her even knowing it until I told her. She didn't think me crazy but believed me.

So I am skeptical of dreams, visions and gut feelings. But does this mean that I am open-minded or closed minded. It depends which way you look at it.

10. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS DOING IN THE ASTRONOMY FOURM?

11. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I thnk the curly1 is right. I have been a bit too lenient in this. It will now be in Free Thoughts.

12. kmguru Staff Member

As Cris pointed out, the key is learning the art of "discrimination". Suppose, you are at a "garage sale" and saw a Rolex watch or a Gucci purse for $5.00. Is it real? Can you ask? What if the owner does not know the value...or is it a fake that they are trying to get rid off? (Once my friend picked up a Marantz highend receiver for five bucks)

In Kathmandu (Nepal), you may see peddlers close to the foreign tourist hotels peddle the fake watches and other merchandise. If you recognize it, the price drops...you expect it, so you assume they are fake. But in a pawn shop, you may not know for sure and depend on your accumulated knowledgebase and analytical savvy....

13. kim Registered Member

Well I didn't have time to see what everyone else has said on this subject, but I figured I'd have my say anyway.
    I think you can't just blindly follow what you hear/feel because that's like believing that whoever/whatever told you is always right. And no offence, but no-one is always right.

So, I'll go with what the quote at the end of my post says, question everything. But that doesn't mean forget about whatever it was you heard. Obviously. You just have to analyse it. And just because things might seem almost impossible, that doesn't rule them out entirely.
    Ok, that's all I guess.

14. KalvinB Publicity Whore Registered Senior Member

I don't accept something as truth until I've studied every angle on it. www.google.com helps much.

I know most people firmly believe what they have to say so I don't trust anyone to actually know what is correct.

I try to find the absolutes of any given issue and base my conclusions on those rather than someone's interpretations of those absolutes.

Ben

15. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Just wanted to say...

...to all you sceptics, that if the truth is the only thing you believe in...then what is it? Tell me! How can you ever prove something to be absolutely true and something else to be false?

What I´m trying to say is that all we can trust to be true is our own experience of the world. That is the "truth" I´m trying to impose on you...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I live on my gut feelings. They have kept me out of harm's way. They have made me money. They have served me well. As for skepticism, that comes with the understanding of human nature. Skepticism and time would drain the magic out of our lives if it wasn't for those intuitive feelings which remind us that...

17. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Re: Just wanted to say...

Bebelina,

Things are true or false if they can be proved by rational thought. So anything that can be proved is true. Everything else is unproven. Our own experiences are generally highly subjective and cannot be relied upon to provide truth. Proofs need to be independent of personal experiences otherwise you run the risk of self-delusion.

Does that help?
    Cris

18. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Rational thought does not apply to the human experience. It's always subjective, Cris. The search for true-or-false answers is an individual journey; however, sometimes there is consensus among many.

Have you ever played craps in Vegas or Reno? There's no rational explanation for the gut feeling that proves true after the dice stop rolling. Horn 12!