Ask an anti-social nihilist

m0rl0ck

Consume! Conform! Obey!
Registered Senior Member
I have an alternate personality thats an anti-social nihilist. He has kindly agreed to share his wisdom with us. You may ask any question, personal, scientific or philosophical. Ask away.

Nihilism

http://www.utm.edu/research/iep/n/nihilism.htm

Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. It is often associated with extreme pessimism and a radical skepticism that condemns existence. A true nihilist would believe in nothing, have no loyalties, and no purpose other than, perhaps, an impulse to destroy. While few philosophers would claim to be nihilists, nihilism is most often associated with Friedrich Nietzsche who argued that its corrosive effects would eventually destroy all moral, religious, and metaphysical convictions and precipitate the greatest crisis in human history. In the 20th century, nihilistic themes--epistemological failure, value destruction, and cosmic purposelessness--have preoccupied artists, social critics, and philosophers. Mid-century, for example, the existentialists helped popularize tenets of nihilism in their attempts to blunt its destructive potential. By the end of the century, existential despair as a response to nihilism gave way to an attitude of indifference, often associated with antifoundationalism.

Quite a harsh view of Nihilism there. As I learnt it years ago, it simply involved the idea that we should not accept the values and ethics told to us by others. Instead, we should figure out ourselves what we find important or ethical.

i always thought that nihilism was the belief that all systems and social currents need to be totally destroyed in order to create a better tommorow.

guess i was wrong.

heh, anus....;)

Originally posted by reformedtopunk
i always thought that nihilism was the belief that all systems and social currents need to be totally destroyed in order to create a better tommorow.

guess i was wrong.

heh, anus....;)

ANUS = American Nihilist Underground Society

There is no "standard" definition of nihilism, but all branch off from these ideas:

Main Entry: ni·hil·ism
Pronunciation: 'nI-(h)&-"li-z&m, 'nE-
Function: noun
Etymology: German Nihilismus, from Latin nihil nothing -- more at NIL
Date: circa 1817
1 a : a viewpoint that traditional values and beliefs are unfounded and that existence is senseless and useless b : a doctrine that denies any objective ground of truth and especially of moral truths
2 a (1) : a doctrine or belief that conditions in the social organization are so bad as to make destruction desirable for its own sake independent of any constructive program or possibility (2) capitalized : the program of a 19th century Russian party advocating revolutionary reform and using terrorism and assassination b : TERRORISM
- ni·hil·ist /-list/ noun or adjective
- ni·hil·is·tic /"nI-(h)&-'lis-tik, "nE-/ adjective

Back