Astronomers sweep the entire sky, looking for aliens

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wegs, Feb 18, 2020.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Not sure if this is the appropriate subforum, but since we're going to be discussing aliens, thought I wouldn't risk it.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/astronomers-sweep-entire-sky-alien-21501642

Okay, this doesn't make much sense to me. (the sweeping part) From Earth, we can only see a very small part of the universe, like 4%? There's so much that we can't see, so what will this ''sweeping'' really accomplish?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Could alien life be found in dark matter?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Searching for probable Alien life forms is a science.
    While we have no evidence yet for any ETL, most scientists accept that it should exist somewhere, possibly even in our own solar system.
    Sweeping the sky I imagine to mean looking at all segments of the sky possible from a number of positions.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I know, but looking for aliens in the 4% - why don't we know more by now?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I assume you are referring to the fact that we don't know what dark energy and dark matter are? What's that got to do with aliens?

Aliens would be regular matter. I never get too excited by these Seti projects since it's like looking for a needle in a haystack and it's about making too many assumptions.

The Universe could be full of life. Every star could be surrounded by planets full of water and each body of water could be full of whales and we'd still never detect them.

wegs likes this.
  8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Perhaps it is no more then bacterial or microscopic life...perhaps it is advanced lifeforms but not yet advanced enough to make use of radio waves and/or other parts of the EMS....perhaps they are way in advance of us and are avoiding detection...perhaps they just aint where we have looked so far, and of course the universe is a big place.

wegs likes this.
  9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Good points paddoboy and Seattle. Yea, I suppose I’m thinking of “intelligent” life. (higher or lower than us)

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

If there are any intelligent aliens out there - "intelligent" in this post meaning something that uses radio to communicate - then we'll never find them if we don't look (unless they come looking for us).

If there are dark matter aliens, we're not going to be finding them with this. But we already know of one intelligent species that isn't made of dark matter. There are good reasons to suspect there could be more of them somewhere out there. As far as doing these kinds of searches goes, we've barely scratched the surface of what we could do. It doesn't tend to cost a heap of money to do it, comparatively speaking. So, it comes down to a matter of where you think money should be put, I guess.

wegs likes this.