atheists, please explain yourselves..

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by scifes, May 13, 2009.

?

are you an atheist?

1. yes

38 vote(s)
    74.5%
  2. no

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  1. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

-=-

God loves some of its parts.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. swarm Registered Senior Member

So that means god doesn't exist because their are atheists?

Every on inherantly believes in Qerg without awareness of it. Now you have plenty of reason enough to question whether Qerg exists.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Then we're all nothing.
    That's a relief! Nothing can't be tortured for eternity.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Ah but they are all false ...

8. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

my this thread brings back memories..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

back when i "didn't understand" atheists..lol

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. All atheists on here I strongly recommend that you read the book "The Language of God" by Francis Collins.

10. Kapyong Writer Registered Senior Member

Gday,

S.A.M. said :
    Dawkins was comfortable with politicians lieing.

When pressed, his cite was :

Which is the OPPOSITE of what S.A.M. claimed !

Dawkins is saying he does not like these lies, and looks foward to when the lies stop - i.e. he does not like the lies, he wants honesty.

But S.A.M. said the opposite - that Dawkins was comfortable with the lies.

S.A.M. - you got it totally backwards.

You claimed Dawkins supported lies,
    when the quote shows he does NOT.

Was that a lie, S.A.M. ?
    Or just an error on your part?

K.

11. woowoo Registered Senior Member

Obviously total annihilation does not bother an atheist otherwise they
    would not be atheists, it's thought there might actually be something on the
    other side that they forgot to factor into the equation that scares the Hell
    out the poor souls; that's why we are here, to quote T. McKenna "life is a
    preparation for a transition to a higher dimension...". OM

12. Kapyong Writer Registered Senior Member

Jan -
    Seriously, here is what it boils down to :

You're a theist - you believe.

You BELIEVE that
    atheist = immoral, unethical.

You are convinced that atheists cannot have morals or ethics or any kind.

Because theists are superior - it is only from theism that morals and ethics can arise.

Any you believe this so strongly that when atheists present morals and ethics, you ignore it.

And then claim they have no morals or ethics !

It's just witnessing jan.

K.

13. dhcracker Registered Senior Member

I am often called an atheist even though I think there could be a "creator" however I know there isn't any "supernatural" because I never see anything I can't explain with science. I also know that I am in control of what I do today, nobody can stop me from picking up my pencil right now if I want to do so. I see no evidence of a "controling" god, and I don't think any creator will reward or punish based on what you believe in that you can't prove. I think more likely if any such event takes place it will go along the laws of the universe.. or karma if you like.

I am however agnostic otherwise, there might be and there might not be.. I"ll admit it would be pretty cool if there was an intelligence out there smart enough to set off an entire universe.. could also be pretty scary. I hope smart means good it seems the more intelligent a person gets the more overall decent even if not so charitable or patient. You don't see many very highly educated people calling for war or calling homeless people alcoholics for example...

Its not a matter of logic, its a personal choice what one subscribes to in their view of the cosmos. I believe your life and experience will shape your logic to your person, so why not live and let live and stop preaching and using God to kill and all that good stuff then atheists may leave you alone.

14. dhcracker Registered Senior Member

So you are only decent because the threat of hell? How narrow minded and vulgar. I think atheists are decent and ethical based on THIS LIFE, so though we may not be worried about eternal damnation we will still feed the hungry because its the right thing to do, we also won't go robbing and killing because we don't want to harm life.

See the cop out for religion is reward and punish, what you can't think of is THIS LIFE IS PRECIOUS, its the only one you got and its the only one I got. Why use this life to hoard or be evil when we can use it productively and live as long as possible by being decent people. Evil people generally don't live long lives, also we can't sit down and do 4 hail Mary's and be forgiven.. you think you can lol.

Ethics isn't owned by religion, its a part of the human condition.

15. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

False argument. That all living creatures eventually end up 'annihilated', (which is simply an improper word for non-existent), does indeed bother many atheists as much as it clearly bothers most theists. Indeed non-existence should bother any existing creature, (and seemingly tends to do so).

But being bothered by reality as it actually is does not mean deluding yourself into ridiculous fantasies of a life part II, (unless you're theist).

Regards,

16. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I'm agnostic.

I've seen no concrete evidence of any god or gods, so I can't say that I believe.

But, on the other hand, just because you can't see something doesn't mean it isn't actually there.

:shrug:

17. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

I agree. Why must these conversations always be so black and white, right or wrong. Isn't life just about living, loving, and experiencing? Who really cares?

Shouldn't it be about being in the here and now? Why are humans so obsessed with having others believe in what they believe in. Is that what we need to do in order to make our "experience" real to us? I think a supreme consciousness desires there to be atheists. It would want there to be agnostics, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Christians, Hindus, and all manners off consciousnesses experiencing living in the third dimension. We are all so very small in consciousness and being. . . but imagine you were dimensionally supreme in being, consciousness, energy, and matter. Imagine YOU were the one that manifested this entire dimension out of another dimension. Imagine you wanted to experience every possible combination of experience, every planet, supernova, rock, tree, worm, grain of dust, ball of plasma? Then wouldn't the experience of being an atheist be every bit as valuable as being a Christian Jew or Muslim? I would certainly think so.

On that note, consider this. . . if there is a universal consciousness. . . it has manifested us. . . to create MORE consciousness. So it probably doesn't really care too much WHICH religion of peace and love we follow, as long as we basically unite with each other in peace and love. For that is our purpose, to create MORE consciousness, it is the only thing that transcends the third dimension. If we are stupid enough to DESTROY each other, instead of creating more consciousness. . . I think we will be in a world of hurt over this idiotic thing we call. . . . religion.