Athiesm, Punishment and Killing

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Mar 16, 2008.

?

Is killing justified under some circumstances?

1. I am an atheist and I say YES

52.6%
  2. I am an atheist and I say NO

5.3%
  3. I am a theist and I say YES

31.6%
  4. I am a theist and I say NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I am an atheist and I have some other opinion

10.5%
  6. I am a theist and I I have some other opinion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

It's a miracle! Praise jebus.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Alas this is one of the downsides but is not a problem with the justice system. The issue is that upon release most convicts find themselves unable to get a job and thus have little choice but to once again resort to crime.

Every job application you'll find makes people fill in conviction details. With hundreds of people going for the same job, any application with that section filled in goes straight in the bin. Be honest, as an employer which would you choose: The kid that went to university or the one that went to jail?

Once you have served the time for the crime it should be forgotten, giving the ex-con a fighting chance.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

In the link?

Several. To quote a few

The Soviet Union was an officially atheist state.

China:

Korea:

Thanks.

That makes sense, it also explains why they eventually had to give up, since all they did was create martyrs.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Religion should not have any power over a governing body, other religions, or non-religions.

I think there's room for the juducial system to become more aligned with human psychology.

I guess they should have governed instead of ruled no?

Threat removal presumably. IMO, the best approach to dealing with a criminal is to fix the criminal's behavior if they want to change. I speculate we'll invent technology to switch peoples behavioral epigenetic markers on and off and that will make behavior modification a heck of alot quicker than traditional methods.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What nation with an official religion has a space program, and has sent people into space like the USSR and the US have?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What does that have to do with killing or punishment?

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm just saying, there are benefits to a secular state, for instance greater promotion of science and technology.

Chinese punishment hasn't changed too much since ancient times, thus their famous cruelty is a cultural phenomenon, not a religious one.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Doesn't help the thousands incarcerated or killed, I'm afraid.

Before:

After:

I'd say the persecution for belief has increased under atheist rule, wiping out centuries of religious pluralism.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Right, but their treatment of criminals hasn't changed much in hundreds of years, only what they call a crime.

If you insist on condemning, for good reason, the detainment of people for religious reasons, you would have to consider the martyr of thousands of Christians by the Romans, the destruction of Aztec culture by European missionaries, the arrest and torture of Bahá'ís in Iran, the Russian pogroms against Jews, the crusades, the 30 years war between Catholics and Protestants, the Inquisitions, the Salem witch trials, the Armenian genocide... Religion not only failed to prevent these tragedies, it caused them.

Atheism failed to prevent the murder of political prisoners in the USSR, but it didn't cause it.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm if they were arrested, tortured or killed for not being godless, then it most certainly did.

Same logic as here:

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't know of any that were sent to Siberia for not being atheist.

14. draqon Banned Banned

guys in Russia the pogroms happened not because they were Jews, but because Jews in Russia happened to be very wealthy and that meant that under those laws they could own many slaves which were of Russian blood, it got to be so bad that one Jewish master owned as many as 100 slaves in his house...a death of which would not be noticed. So Russians rebelled and Jews had to run elsewhere.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Actually not even. If they were arrested, tortured and killed for not being godless, atheism wasn't the reason. The reason was prejudice against religion. Atheism doesn't cause prejudice against religion. If you are an atheist, and you feel the need to kill or harm religious people, that is due to your perverse nature, not the disbelief in God.

On the other hand, religion causes prejudice against other religions and atheism, since many religions consider unbelievers to be influenced by Satan, and their influence a threat to everlasting union with God.

In some religions, if you leave it, the believers are directed to kill you. Atheism has no such tenets.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately the evidence contradicts you. Apparently atheism can be as if not more intolerant of other beliefs, even without written tenets. There are quite a few examples right here on this forum, who think merely being religious is sufficient to consider the other person unnatural or brainwashed or inferior.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Just because you don't know does not mean it did not happen

http://www.tiraspoltimes.com/news/transdniestrias_bishop_blesses_memorial_to_stalin_victims.html

18. draqon Banned Banned

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Apparently its an underestimate :bugeye:

You can look it up here

http://www.memo.ru/eng/

20. draqon Banned Banned

LIES

its easy to get a website these days and rewrite the history

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Atheism is just not believing in God. That's it. Anything else is your own interpretation.

It's as if you blamed all the world's problems on not being a zombie.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah its all in the interpretation, isn't it?

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member