Atomism

well what do you think about it? I didnt know what atomism was I had to do a search on google. maybe a starting point would be nice to begin the discussion.

Democritus gave some examples of how the atomic hypothesis could account for qualities such as color and taste (sharp tastes are caused by sharp atoms), but on the whole atomism, like other contemporary global theories, remained a general theory. It was criticized by Aristotle (384-322 BCE) for some of its logical inconsistencies[1] and for its inability to explain qualities (color, taste, odor, etc.) that we call (after Galileo) secondary qualities. Aristotle's matter theory was fundamentally qualitative: qualities were built into the fundamental building blocks that made up substances. And against the atomists' idea of a nature without design or purpose, Aristotle constructed a natural philosophy that made nature a purposeful agent.

huh sharp atoms make sharp taste i dont get it but maybe i missing something.

I think someone went around the atom smashers picking up those atoms that got cracked in a pot. Others were just right down greedy when it came to getting them...:D :D :D

:mad:
well, actually, i have been doing further reading and i am beginning to come to the conclusion that Gassend and his revival of atomism is CUCKOO!! good grief, man, let a sleeping dog..er, atom lie. :D

"The point of philosophy is to start with something
so simple as to seem not worth stating, and to end
with something so paradoxical that no one will
believe it." -Bertrand Russell

i've been reading and thinking about philosophy quite a bit lately...and a thought occured to me...you know Plato, Descartes, etc. etc. ok. here's what i have been thinking.. they have all rights given to them for "inventing" their own unique philosophies..righ? well...think about this...how do we know for sure that there wasn't some guy sitting around thinking all about that stuff that plato thought up...long before plato was even born? we don't..it's just that plato's stuff was recorded (written) and archived...

there are probably tons(well...NOT tons..but..) of guys who had the same ideas that some of the great philosophers had...but, they didn't put their ideas in writing..or, maybe they couldn't...who knows...anyways...i was just saying. er...thinking. sometimes i think too much. heh.

to be honest with you...i do think that men have the more brilliant/intelligent of ideas out of the 2 sexes...women seem to have more abstract ideas...

Originally posted by pumpkinsaren'torange
they have all rights given to them for "inventing" their own unique philosophies..righ? well...think about this...how do we know for sure that there wasn't some guy sitting around thinking all about that stuff that plato thought up...long before plato was even born? we don't..it's just that plato's stuff was recorded (written) and archived...

It is pointless to ponder the originality of ideas. Did Plato say his stuff first? We cannot know. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. But because Plato wrote it down first, and his writing still survives, then Plato gets all the credit.

GoofyH

:D :D

*scratches head* in a round about way (and, more coherent, too, i might add) you said the same thing i was trying to get at...

yeah, there are probably others who came up with the idea of gravity long before newton, for example, but....he is the one that recorded/wrote it all down. (well, unless his secretary did the actually transcribing...heh) but, who knows...maybe somebody( long before Newton was even born) actually wrote those ideas down, too...but, they inadvertently got lost in the shuffle.

:eek: whoa...maybe i am thinking of something very, very imporatant and world altering today - right this very moment, even!! ....and, maybe 50 years or so down the line somebody is going to have that very same thought/idea as me.. BUT they will write the idea down on paper and make a bundle off of it.. heehee.......uh, no. not really. :bugeye: :D

ok. i guess what i do like about Atomism is its bottom-line attitude: that no object is greater or less than the sum of its parts; that the object can be broken down into its individual parts and, then be reassembled...well, theoretically, i mean. but..eh....that's a whole 'nother ball game.

Back