Atomism

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by pumpkinsaren'torange, Oct 23, 2002.

1. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

anyone wanna discuss it. it makes sense to me...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. yumyum The All Knowing.. I think Registered Senior Member

well what do you think about it? I didnt know what atomism was I had to do a search on google. maybe a starting point would be nice to begin the discussion.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. yumyum The All Knowing.. I think Registered Senior Member

huh sharp atoms make sharp taste i dont get it but maybe i missing something.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I think someone went around the atom smashers picking up those atoms that got cracked in a pot. Others were just right down greedy when it came to getting them...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

hee hee...you guys are funny...

9. axonio98 Banned Banned

personally i prefer quarkism

10. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

out damn spot!!!!

11. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

well, actually, i have been doing further reading and i am beginning to come to the conclusion that Gassend and his revival of atomism is CUCKOO!! good grief, man, let a sleeping dog..er, atom lie.

12. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

"The point of philosophy is to start with something
    so simple as to seem not worth stating, and to end
    with something so paradoxical that no one will
    believe it." -Bertrand Russell

13. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

i've been reading and thinking about philosophy quite a bit lately...and a thought occured to me...you know Plato, Descartes, etc. etc. ok. here's what i have been thinking.. they have all rights given to them for "inventing" their own unique philosophies..righ? well...think about this...how do we know for sure that there wasn't some guy sitting around thinking all about that stuff that plato thought up...long before plato was even born? we don't..it's just that plato's stuff was recorded (written) and archived...

there are probably tons(well...NOT tons..but..) of guys who had the same ideas that some of the great philosophers had...but, they didn't put their ideas in writing..or, maybe they couldn't...who knows...anyways...i was just saying. er...thinking. sometimes i think too much. heh.

14. Fathoms Banned Banned

I'd wager there were alot more woman than men who had great idea's go unpublished over the centuries.

15. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

16. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

to be honest with you...i do think that men have the more brilliant/intelligent of ideas out of the 2 sexes...women seem to have more abstract ideas...

17. goofy headed punk Registered Senior Member

It is pointless to ponder the originality of ideas. Did Plato say his stuff first? We cannot know. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. But because Plato wrote it down first, and his writing still survives, then Plato gets all the credit.

18. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

GoofyH

*scratches head* in a round about way (and, more coherent, too, i might add) you said the same thing i was trying to get at...

yeah, there are probably others who came up with the idea of gravity long before newton, for example, but....he is the one that recorded/wrote it all down. (well, unless his secretary did the actually transcribing...heh) but, who knows...maybe somebody( long before Newton was even born) actually wrote those ideas down, too...but, they inadvertently got lost in the shuffle.

whoa...maybe i am thinking of something very, very imporatant and world altering today - right this very moment, even!! ....and, maybe 50 years or so down the line somebody is going to have that very same thought/idea as me.. BUT they will write the idea down on paper and make a bundle off of it.. heehee.......uh, no. not really. :bugeye:

19. goofy headed punk Registered Senior Member

Re: GoofyH

thank you

20. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I don't think it really matters; the ideas stand or fall on their own merits.

21. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

what ideas??

hee hee.. have you ever come back to resurrected thread and forgotten just what the heck you were saying in it? well, i did!

22. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

ok. i guess what i do like about Atomism is its bottom-line attitude: that no object is greater or less than the sum of its parts; that the object can be broken down into its individual parts and, then be reassembled...well, theoretically, i mean. but..eh....that's a whole 'nother ball game.