Best Language for Science (besides english)

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Exhumed, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crispy Registered Member

But it works better with "vivlia"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. I don't know It's the pun police, run! Registered Senior Member

The Fussha Arabic as assembled by the Abbassid scholars was supposedly adjusted by them especially to be able to use the concepts of the different scholarly texts they gathered from all over the world in the great library in Baghdad.

I'm not good enough at it yet, but I'm getting an idea that it might be useful for several reasons. So, مومكن هذه لغة؟

It'd have to be more than one language, though. Mistranslations are a great source of unintended creativity and no one language contains all the concepts ever concieved. If we want to keep with the old dead languages, then maybe Fussha, Latin, Sanskrit, Mandarin and Nahuatl?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. vslayer Registered Senior Member

while i am in favour of esperanto being adopted as the universal language simply because of its shear ease of learning, a lot of the prefixes and suffixes used in scientific fields would be difficult to translate into another languages, and therefore should be kept in english. that is, the nouns sholud be english, everything else can become esperanto.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I think all science should be conducted in Quenya , except for the Earth sciences, which must be done in Khuzdul, and military science in Klingon.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

Latin would be a good language for scientific discourse, because of the accuracy of the grammar, but Roman Numerals totally suck ass for science, so that part shouldn't be adopted.

9. valich Registered Senior Member

Exhumed: You're definitely right that German is number one as it is the most easiest language in the world in which you can grammatically add endless prefixes and suffixes to make the definition more increasingly accurate. This became very evident in their fast scientific advances in both WWI and WWII and their enormous amount of scientific achievements that we then imported to the U.S. by granting their top scientists asylum: Wernher von Braun and Dornberger were subsequently brought to the United States and are the founders of NASA's space program with the development of Project Mercury after they developed the V-2 rocket in Germany. Also Heinsenberg. Einstein was also a refugee from Germany but born in Austria.

10. I don't know It's the pun police, run! Registered Senior Member

German really isn't the easiest language in the world. English is far easier.

11. mercaptan Das Feuer liebt mich Registered Senior Member

Ummm, no. Incorrect. Einstein was born in Ulm, Germany.

12. crispy Registered Member

I'll have to agree.
    Still, I think the "official" language should be the one largely spoken at the moment we need it.

13. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

perfectly stated, and completely non-commital

i like it.

14. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

He didn't say that it was the easiest to learn, he meant it was the easiest to get very accurate definitions.

15. valich Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the correction. Hitler was born in Austria: Einstein was Jewish and had to get out.

German is certainly harder than English because of it's complexity.

16. Newer Registered Member

Japanese
    Spanish
    French

17. Kaiser Stormhawk Registered Member

Sanskrit is widely recognised as the best language for computer programming and writing software, and many experts believe that Sanskrit is the mother of all European languages. Thus, I say Sanskrit.

18. Dravyga ... Registered Senior Member

Binary... 1010101010101..
    Or better yet, create a new language so that it's universally accepted.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No they don't! Not a single one!

Sanskrit is the mother of most of the languages of India. It existed at a time when Persian was also spoken, which is the mother of most of the languages of Iran, Afghanistan, and Tadzhikistan. Persian and Sanskrit were closely related and had a common ancestor that was the root of the Indo-Iranian language group. Together with Balto-Slavic (from which Latvian, Russian, Polish, etc. are descended) and a few odds and ends, they comprise the Eastern Branch of the Indo-European family.

The Western Branch diverged into Greek, Latin (ancestor of all the Romance languages), Celtic (whence Gaelic, Welsh, Cornish, and Breton), Proto-Germanic (whence the Scandinavian and Germanic languages including ours), and a few others such as Albanian.

The Indo-European family split into the Eastern and Western Branches somewhere around 5,000 years ago, as the Western Indo-European people began their migration into Europe. Sanskrit is only that distantly related to the familiar modern European languages. It is not even a direct ancestor, much less their mother.

20. allisone417 i'll be in my room Registered Senior Member

I already dont understand those street hoodlems.

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

American and British English are coming together, not separating. Popular culture keeps the youth of both countries connected. Ever since the 1950s when our rock and roll went over there, and the 1960s when theirs came back to us, we've been using each other's slang words. Technology and a borderless economy are doing the same thing for more formal speech.

But television is probably the single greatest factor. Regional accents are disappearing here as TV announcers all over the country try to speak like they're from Wisconsin. I wonder whether the same thing is happening on the other side. We watch lots of programs produced in the U.K. and they watch a lot of our stuff.

Oxford English hardly sounds foreign to American ears any more, in pronunciation or vocabulary. I suspect that California English has a similar familiarity to British ears.

There was a time when we found Australians virtually incomprehensible. Now they're family.

22. Facial Valued Senior Member

Is that really so? I find that interesting.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I just picked on Wisconsin because the "Midwest" is by consensus considered to be "level, unaccented" American English. Actually most of the people west of the Mississippi River, except for the old Confederacy and its Border States, talk that way too. It's hard to distinguish a Chicagoan from an Angeleño.

Turn on the TV news in your hotel in Boston, Atlanta, Kansas City, New Orleans, Dallas, or Oklahoma City, and you'll probably notice that the announcers don't have as strong a regional accent as the people working in the hotel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.