Bible contradictions

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by w1z4rd, Mar 19, 2007.

1. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Any Christians going to clear up any of the contraditions which have been presented? I know, I know IAC. I'll google it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Now that we have a new christian aboard this Ark of Sciforums, maybe he can explain to us the unexplainable. What about it JimHR? We're looking for some fresh insight.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Do you answer a fool according to his folly?
    Well, Ummm... No, not exactly..., but Yes, absolutely.

PRO 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

PRO 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

This particular passage must be so wise that no one can ever figure it out! WOW! It must be really, really, really, inspired on steroids, since its logic is so far above our comprehension (At least mine).

I am convinced! These words cannot be of this world! They just have to be spiritual. No human could have written these words!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Unfortunately, none of this is that far from the way real people can actually think!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

It is indeed great stuff, Ice, because it shows the Bible for what it really is, the work of man! It sets the captives of fear, free! But alas, there are so many contradictions I doubt that we will ever be able to do anything but scratch the surface.

Anyway, here is another one for you to ignore.

Matt 5:16 "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." (NIV)

VS.

Matt 6:1
    "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

Matt 6:3-4 "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secert. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." (NIV)

Now, how can anyone do both of these at the same time?

Take Care!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  8. river-wind Valued Senior Member

Knowing the opposite side of an arguement is useful. You should read up on actual science; it would shorten up a lot of the threads here.

Any comments on the NT flaws, or do you think God put them in the Bible to deceive the non-believers?

edit

ops, missed some above updates - this was to IAC

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  9. UncleChrist Another Imaginary Friend Registered Senior Member

I just caught a minister on cable claiming that he has heard many people claim the bible has many contradictions in it ... But not once has anyone pointed out one single valid contradiction to him in his "Bible"

for the sake of this argument I would be grateful to anyone that can point me to the obvious contradictions in the "BuyBull"

Thank you

10. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Jesus claimed Moses wrote of him in the OT. Yet he didn't.

11. UncleChrist Another Imaginary Friend Registered Senior Member

I was hoping for something a little more along these lines......

ON THE SABBATH DAY
    "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." -- Exodus 20:8

"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." -- Romans 14:5

ON THE PERMANENCY OF THE EARTH
    "... the earth abideth for ever." -- Ecclesiastes 1:4

"... the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up." -- 2Peter 3:10

ON SEEING GOD
    "... I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." -- Genesis 32:30

"No man hath seen God at any time..."-- John 1:18

12. UncleChrist Another Imaginary Friend Registered Senior Member

as a child this contradiction killed any notion of it being truth for me ...

to be wise or not?

PRO 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

ECC 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

1 Cor.1:19: "For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and wil bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent."

13. JimHR Registered Senior Member

Hey how are you doing M*W? Well thanks for the invite. I just happened to search my name and this came up.

Well basically I had answered this in a previous post to SetiAlpha6.

I like what John Wycliffe--Oxford professor who advocated the Bible as the Supreme Authority and is credited with the first complete translation of the Bible into middle English--said:

"It shall greatly help thee to understand scripture if thou mark not only what is spoken or written, but of whom, and to whom, and with what words, at what time, where, to what intent, and with what circumstances, considering what goeth before and what followeth."

So once you can answer me these questions of the supposed contradictions, I will answer your questions. I know that I may sound hard-nosed, but I am trying to encourage people to find these answers on their own. Knowledge and truth is out there, but you have to seek it. It is very possible.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
    And lean not on your own understanding;
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,
    And He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

14. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

If you have the answers to these questions, JimHR, but are unwilling to give them and help these people understand these things then you are just being uncaring and cruel to them.

He is trying to tell you, M*W, find out for yourself, but do not lean on your own understanding.

Good luck with that!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  15. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: If I were leaning on my own understanding, I wouldn't be here. I am here because I want to know what others believe on this subject and why. It took me a number of years to go from christian to non-believer. It is never an overnight sensation. It takes a lot of study and research. I specifically asked JimHR because he was the new christian on the block. I hope that he will provide his own thoughts to the forum. I've heard all the others, but since JimHR is new, maybe he holds the truths to christianity. Maybe he'll be the one to teach us all the truth. Otherwise, we shall stay resting on the knowledge we've acquired through means other than christian apologists. You know, christians pretty much come and then go. The atheists pretty much stay here. Why is it that they choose to leave this forum when we have given them certainly every opportunity to show us the truth as they see it? Maybe it will be JimHR that saves christianity. (Jim, are you ready to rumble)?

16. JimHR Registered Senior Member

Hey M*W! I understand what you are saying, but I must remind you that it is not the Christian or any individual who has all the answers. If you are depending upon someone else to reveal these truths to you, you are gravely misguided. These are not "my" thoughts--they are the Word of God. I do not mean to be cruel, I am simply saying that the truths are in Christ and we learn about Christ from creation, our conscience, and in this dispensation of time--the Bible! We should be grateful that God has given us such the opportunity!

I cannot save, nor will I attempt to convert anyone. It is the Law of the Lord that reveals truth--not me. Thus, if you want to know truth--seek it and you shall find it! But I cannot find it for you. My role as a Christian is to be a witness of these truths.

"The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul;
    The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple." Psalm 19:7

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What if we seek and find different answers?

18. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Then you wouldn't have been seeking with a sincere heart. "Call on the name of the Lord (with sincerity) and you shall be saved."

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

How do you know? Maybe your heart isn't sincere.

20. JimHR Registered Senior Member

May I remind everyone also that faith is the central component to Christianity? Jesus didn't call us to be overwhelmed with scientific evidence to believe in Him. What would God be if He were to be discovered in a science lab? Athough one can learn the scientific truths God has established in the universe.

We are called to believe.

Why do you think Jesus stressed the concept of belief more than any other? His very choice words were to believe and be saved. The God of the universe knew that in or limited mental ability we would struggle with belief. Thus the main focus of Jesus Christ was to "Believe."

Faith isn't all that hard. Just look into space and ask yourself, "Does space have an end?" Even if there was a great big wall that said--THE END OF SPACE--you would always wonder what lies beyond that wall. You see, we have "faith" that space has no end.

To know what your faith is simply ask yourself, "What does or does not happen to me when I die? You will find your faith. I pray and hope you are not trusting the fate of your precious soul with your seemingly limited ability to have faith.

There are so many verses I could post but I will just use this:

"Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.” And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

John 20:27-29

Will you continue to doubt, or will you believe?

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think that's a perversion of Jesus' message. The orthodox church supplanted his teaching about cultivated personal transformation and turned it into an exercise in brainless belief. The purpose was social control. By artificially placing the bishops in a line of apostolic succession, they rob the people of the ability to interpret Jesus' words for themselves, to create their own ceremonies and sacrements. Only the bishops could determine the word, your job is only to believe it.

Although the protestants largely abolished this practice, they still for the most part accept the traditional interpretations.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  22. JimHR Registered Senior Member

Hey spidergoat, What's up! (love the name btw)

Well your answers need to be supported by Scripture. I don't seek answers that cater to my limited knowledge. The Bible is the ultimate authority and its answers are perfect and righteous. This ties in with the will of God.

I will be completely honest in saying that this is where all the different denominations come from. Some do some things a certain way, others do some things another way. But there is only one true Christianity--and that is only found by learning wisdom in the Bible. The wisdom of the Bible can keep us busy for a lifetime! (and thus very appropriate) You cannot imagine the many truths to be discovered in the Bible!

23. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

It's the ultimate "personal transformation," it's being born again!