Bodhisattva

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Spellbound, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

In Mahayana Buddhism, bodhisattva is the Sanskrit term for a being with bodhi (enlightenment). A bodhisattva is anyone who, motivated by great compassion, has generated bodhicitta, which is a spontaneous wish to attain buddhahood for the benefit of all sentient beings.[1] A bodhisattva is one of the four sublime states a human can achieve in life (the others being an arhat, buddha or pratyekabuddha).[2]
    Usage of the term bodhisattva has evolved over time. In early Indian Buddhism, for example, the term bodhisattva was primarily used to refer specifically to
    Gautama Buddha in his former lives.[3][4] The Jataka tales, which are the stories of the Buddha's lives, depict the various attempts of the bodhisattva to embrace qualities like self-sacrifice and morality.[4]
    Bodhisattvas are a popular subject in
    Buddhist art.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhisattva

When I think of the word "Bodhisattva" I think of the body and its experience of something greater than itself. Does anyone have any experiences with being a Bodhisattva, even for a short while?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Trump is the best argument against a democracy. Valued Senior Member

When I think of bodhisattva I think of what it actually means.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

So do I.

Body-"sattva"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sattva

I do not split hairs over the formal definition. My definition is similar to the "enlightened being" definition. An enlightened being is a body, and when a body becomes enlightened it experiences itself as part of something greater than itself.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat Speak of the Devil Valued Senior Member

I have a thing against throwing out pearls before swine. I think you have a thing for complex ideologies with intricate terminology that sound deep.

8. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

It's not so much about depth than it is about wisdom. But you're right, I enjoy depth.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

Forgiving everyone whos ever hurt you and forgiving/accepting people daily isnt weakness or being a pushover, its intelligence. Only hurt people hurt people, so being unforgiving just carries on the pain cycle for them AND you. Love feels better and ends the bs, its just a matter of reprogramming to be able to love, because we're conditioned for seperation and victim mentality.

-Girl with lots of tattoos