Brain benefits the most when listening to silence

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Plazma Inferno!, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Too much noise is not a good thing for our brains or our bodies. Research has linked noise pollution to increased blood pressure, sleep loss, and heart disease. These results have led to even more research on the long-term effects of noise. Along the way, almost by accident, scientists who study noise are uncovering benefits of its absence.
    There are several studies in which researchers set out to study the effects of various types of noise on brain--such as music, short bursts of sound, and white noise--only to discover the silence in between the sounds they were studying produced interesting results.
    In exposing groups of mice to a selection of sounds, Duke University regenerative biologist Imke Kirste was trying to see which one might spark the creation of new brain cells. She used silence as her control.
    She found that two hours of silence a day produced new cell creation in the hippocampus, the main part of the brain associated with memory. In reviewing the results, Kirste concluded that silence could have been such a strange departure from the norm that it heightened the mice's alertness. Silence is really helping the new generated cells to differentiate into neurons and integrate into the system.

http://www.inc.com/betsy-mikel/your...isten-to-absolutely-nothing-science-says.html

ajanta and Edont Knoff like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Edont Knoff Registered Senior Member

Fine, now I have something to show my neighbors and ask for at least two hours of silence in the house a day

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

sideshowbob likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ajanta Registered Senior Member

And I live a little bit lonely life and every day afternoon I walk away from noise.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.