Bridge Falls Into Mississippi River

Discussion in 'World Events' started by madanthonywayne, Aug 2, 2007.

1. countezero Registered Senior Member

Anthony, didn't you realize that Bush and his PR minions invented the presidential photo opportunity in 2001?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kipler Registered Member

Its not that big of a deal, its like air plane crashes,
    it happens. You ain't any less safe crossing bridges
    now than you were before. I feel sorry for those
    who have lost but its not a danger to anyone's safety
    anymore. Actually its funny how everyone makes a fuss
    over something that appears to be nothing more than a
    screw up or just bad luck. Again its like plane crashes,
    just recently I think a plane crashed in New Mexico all
    five on board, and in Brazil some one-hundred and eight
    people on board perished.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

That's right. There's no story in how Americans are prompted to react to tragedies. Major media and our government must expertly truss up our emotions in order to maintain our national mental structure. When you feel a funny motion in the roadway, don't worry about esoterica like cognitive dissonance- that's for societal engineers to concern themselves with behind the scenes. Everything's OK.

Let's not talk about, or think too deeply on such things. Wolf Blitzer and Karl Rove are like a Bridge over Troubled Water. Just hum a comforting tune. Authorities will lay down all we need to know about collective responses to disturbing events. Shut up and drive, America.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It may remove some guilt from the people who certified the bridge as safe, but does not explain the collapse.

The thing held for forty years, at times under greater stress than the collapse situation.
    I can't see how that one is going to be W's fault - except putting the US in the path of blame for the inevitable collapse, which should be Saddam's baby entirely, is a foreign policy and PR blunder, and having trashed Iraq's electrical system discourages drawing down the reservoir.

8. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I say drain that sucker- Wash out the Tigris, until the old stinking bodies wash up in Dubai. Divert some water to bring back more marshes Anything less is just waiting to blow it, randomly or right on schedule. Then there will be a lot more bodies, and we're in charge of what happens in Iraq now. You can't have it both ways.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Well, they had 100 tons of construction equipment on the bridge and were removing a significant portion of the road. I'd guess the rigidity of the road contributed to the structural integrity of the bridge. As far as it standing for forty years before the collapse, well, it was meant to stand for longer than that. Even a house of cards can stand for a while.