Can Science and Religion Co-exist?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by BSFilter, Jun 20, 2006.

1. BSFilter Nature has no kindess/illwill Registered Senior Member

I think it is possible, probably inevitable.
    Once we find life on another planet, then we will all suddenly realize the incredible vastness of space and if there is other life too then we probably arent so important in Gods eyes. That will be a toughy for the Bible.

Religions have changed in the past.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Present BAMF Registered Senior Member

theyre coexisting right now

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

We cannot know from all we currently know. I mean, the universe can be explained 100% (in theory anyway) and a god (or gods) is deistic.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Possumking I think, I am? Registered Senior Member

Co-exist, as in both be true? Or Co-exist as in some believe in science and others in religion. I guess it depends on the religion. In a way, science is a religion. Most of us blindly accept what many scientists tell us to be true, just like religious folk blindly accept what their church dishes out.

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I would like to know how science could prove where the universe came from, having nothing to do with an omniparent (a god or gods). Until I see that day, there will always be religion to at least explain that.

9. Possumking I think, I am? Registered Senior Member

Fosho.

~:~:~

10. Weirdomandude Registered Senior Member

Even though I don't follow the mind-numbing sermons of Christianity, it has some relevant points. Religions simply need to settle down their certainty of absolutes. See, God is supposed to be a Father figure who is tangible. But by all means, God being all knowing, would not be restrained to emotion. Along with caring about petty details of life about whether or not one acts in complete accordance to doctrines which are proved to be fallible.
    Absolutes are not possible in a certain sense. Everything is in fluctuation. All that may be certain is change which is what religion spouts its words strongest against with rituals and ceremonies.

11. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Well keep in mind I am not claiming religion to be correct. I just do not ever see it disappearing. I personally do not see how a god can just simply exist on its own.