Can Scientists & Mystics Work Together?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Dredd, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Dredd Dredd Registered Senior Member

You are being a stiffie who relishes doubful disputations.

The title of the thread is "Can Scientists & Mystics Work Together?" not "Can Science & Mysticism Work Together?", so actually, yes.

You are incorrect that it is ok to present incorrect answers to people and you should therefore stop doing so.

Mysticism nor science are able to present answers or questions, that takes scientists and mystics who have mouths and ears.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

what dywyydyr means is that what is really being discussed is the methodologies of mysticism and science, and whether such can work together. the question as to whether mystics and scientists can work together is somewhat meaningless--it's like asking if a farmer can work with a carpenter: sure, maybe, maybe not--what's the project? are they building a table, or are they building a chicken coop?

anyhow, i ought to have said ostensibly being discussed, because mysticism has not been adequately defined.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

As had been remarked much earlier in the thread - it depends on the project.
    However, if the OP meant work together AS scientists and mystics then, by default it's a question of science and mysticism, isn't it?

Except for the fact that it was the implication in YOUR reply...

The practice of science gives answers.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

dammit Dywyddyr, i already addressed this one for you. (and my apologies for spelling your name incorrectly above.)

8. Dredd Dredd Registered Senior Member

From a Roger Penrose lecture soon to become a book:

Doesn't this show that there are mystics who use string theory, who also are scientists in the sense they have great mathematical ability, together with an understanding of quantum mechanics?

9. CrystalineGoddess Registered Member

I am a very science minded person and spiritual, so yes. Not all mysticism disagrees with science or I could not be spiritual (my mind would fight mysticism way too much).

For me, science wins, but it doesn't cover everything just yet.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!