Christmas day

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by birch, Dec 24, 2017.

1. birch Valued Senior Member

I will be washing my car, doing laundry and then maybe go to the theater to catch a movie.

this is because almost no one will be doing this on christmas day. the wonderful, hidden blessings of being a loner and out of step with others.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

One doesn't need to be a loner, one can find a kindred spirit.

We completely eschewed Christmas this year. It is very freeing.

Christmas Day I will be on a plane, halfway to Cuba.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. birch Valued Senior Member

they all have similar reactions, male and female, like they just gave birth: crying of joy and incredulous.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I'm sure it can be a great opportunity to do something nobody else is doing. (I often go into London on summer public holidays, when the place is empty and everyone else is stuck in traffic jams trying to get out, to the countryside.)

However I quite like the Christmas traditions I have grown up with since childhood. My memories of it are happy ones. So we have our Christmas tree up and will be attending Midnight Mass to sing carols, just as the people of Europe have done for hundreds of years.

8. birch Valued Senior Member

heehee... i actually like being by myself. i feel most secure and safe in solitude actually. when you are by yourself there is no threat of trouble. it's complete peace on earth.

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I tried, this year. I really, really tried.

The thing is that Christmas isn't my holiday; the idea that non-Christians are customarily obliged to participate needs to die. Especially, since, you know, let's face it, this is actually a commerce gig, and not actually a religious holiday.

But for one who isn't Christian, there is a period running roughly two months, from the end October through nearly the end of the calendar year, that is one long, supremacist offense against humanity.

Seriously, so there's an appropriated religious holiday merchandised to death at the end of October, and that begins a three and a half week run to giving thanks unto God for genocide, which is merely a waypoint in a consumerist bacchanal contrived to justify a societal religious holiday during which people literally try to drive one another crazy↱. So, yeah, get in the effin' Christmas spirit and lose your effin' mind.

But, yeah, I tried. Oh, well. I'll be obliged to try again, next year.

There isn't really a war on Christmas.

Christmas itself is a war against humanity.

Christmas is a fine idea, and all, but I'm an American, and if there is one thing in the world we Americans know how to do, it wreck otherwise fine ideas; there is nothing in this world so good that we can't make it better through ruination. Some days it seems our raison d'être.

Notes:

Spector, Nicole. "Does Christmas music turn you into the Grinch? Your brain (and health) on Christmas carols." NBC News. 18 December 2017. NBCNews.com. 24 December 2017. http://nbcnews.to/2prGsuj

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

The idea is to take from it what you wish, without obligation.
    It might be a good time to have get-togethers with friends. Maybe even enjoy some Christmas carols (if you like Christmas carols) , and feel no obligation to do more than what brings you happiness.

I find a common theme with such tenets in general. They progress in three steps, like phases of life:
    1] First, buying into something wholly (white, extreme, thesis),
    2] Followed by rejecting it wholly (black, opposite extreme, antithesis),
    3] Finally, coming to terms with it (grey, moderation, synthesis).
    In the first two steps, the tenet has power over you (yes, even as you expend energy rejecting it). Only in the third step do you rob it of its negative power, and take power over it in a positive way.

It can be applied to many things - religious beliefs, authority figures, healthy eating, even Facebook use and cell phone use.

11. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Got the tree up and the house is decorated. In the morning we will open gifts and have a good old family time. I really enjoy xmass, it is even snowing here...

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The season is obliging:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Merry, merry.

13. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Tiassa, as I recall, you like me, live in Seattle. This is a pretty easy place to either take or leave Christmas.

I leave it these days. When I was married and when I also had more friends with families around I got into it marginally. I bought a few presents and went to friend's houses for dinner. Now, I just pretty much ignore the day.

It's nice at the moment with the snow that shouldn't stay around for long. I have a friend that is a little more into Christmas. She buys me a present, I don't buy her one usually just because I don't want to get into that whole thing. She has a young kid and is into it more than I am currently.

She knows this about me and isn't offended. I do buy her something occasionally just when I feel like it but not at the holidays.

So, my point is, it's not hard, especially in Seattle, to not be affected by Christmas if you don't want to be affected. Stay out of the malls and don't exchange gifts and Christmas is irrelevant in one's life.

I kind of enjoy the general spirit of this time of year (meaning, upbeat people, music, etc) but I'm always glad when New Year's and all the holidays are over. The biggest inconvenience for me is just that my local grocery store is closed and my climbing gym is closed and everyone else (most people anyway) are not available to do something.

Christmas has never been a religious time for me however. Even as a kid, it was just a time for presents and days off and Christmas music playing everywhere. I had to go to church was I had to clean my room as well so it was just another chore.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Bells Staff Member

I am envious.

Although I did have a large portion of my family here this year, but it was so hot. We basically had the aircon running from 8:00am this morning. Was too hot to even go in the pool.

And then the storms this evening. Suffice to say, the visiting relatives who are here from interstate got to experience one our big summer storms. A large portion are currently without power, and there is more lightning on the horizon heading our way. The bottom of the street is under water and rain was falling sideways from the wind.

*Sigh*

But, Merry Christmas one and all. Be safe, be happy and be relaxed!

15. birch Valued Senior Member

very pretty. i do like the festivities and festive spirit around christmas. i like that old world charm about it too. the stockings hung at a roaring fireplace, eggnog, christmas tree, decorations/lights, snow, christmas carols etc. it's whimsical and traditional.

i think halloween, thanksgiving and christmas are the nicest holidays. new years and 4th of july is nothing to me except fireworks which are annoying as an adult and noise pollution with firecrackers going off everywhere.

Seattle likes this.
  16. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

We woke up early, enjoyed a cup of coffee, opened gifts, had french toast for breakfast. I took a two hour nap, got up and showered, got dressed and then we went to visit extended family, have dinner and open more gifts.

I think for me Christmas is all about family.

17. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Got together with some relatives on Christmas Eve. Spent Christmas Day by myself for the first time in my life. It was kinda nice. Minus nine hundred outside.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

My mother, her g/f, and my little brother got to deal with a car failing on them and their 12 year old German Shepherd reaching the point of having to be put down (she hasn't eaten in about a week and a half, has all but refused to drink any water, is unable to leave her bed under her own power, and is having bloody vomit and stools)... granted, twelve years isn't bad for a Shepherd but just damn...

19. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

We had someone come to our house when we had our dog put down. They gave him a sedative before the lethal injection. It was very humane.