Conservation of kinetic energy between neutral fundamental particles in a vacuum?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by one_raven, Aug 4, 2022.

1. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I suppose I ought to point out that I've changed my mind about what I said in post 58, thanks to the further discussion about whether dark matter can be said to have a temperature, which we have had in Beaconator's thread here: http://www.sciforums.com/threads/was-the-majority-of-the-universe-created-by-fusion.165572/

On further reflection it seemed to me that dark matter particles (if it exists as particles) may be unable to collide, since they do not respond to the EM interaction, which is where the repulsion between atoms and other normal matter particles comes from. If they can't collide, they can't redistribute their kinetic energy into a Boltzmann distribution, and if they can't do that, a temperature cannot be defined for them.

origin, Beaconator and sideshowbob like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

I would be interested in looking for equations that satisfy how dark matter could work. I think we have boiled it down enough to do some work. The math is there we just have to find it

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exchemist Valued Senior Member

No of course we haven't. The term "dark matter" is just a placeholder for the extra gravitation we observe, the simplest explanation of which would be extra matter that does not interact with EM radiation. We know nothing at all about dark matter, not even if it really exists.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

yeah and we don’t know how the elements allow for consciousness either. Yet both exist. Two things both known to exist we can’t explain. what chance do we have at explaining something we don’t even know to exist?