Daily coffee habit could be partly genetic

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Plazma Inferno!, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

A gene that appears to wield influence over the amount of coffee people drink has been found by scientists who believe the section of DNA alters how caffeine is broken down in the body.
    Italians villagers who carry a specific variant of the PDSS2 gene consume about one less cup of coffee per day compared with non-carriers, according to researchers at Edinburgh University.
    The gene variant appears to affect people’s coffee intake by slowing the metabolism of caffeine in the body. When caffeine is broken down more slowly, the stimulant lingers in the blood for longer and gives people a more enduring “hit” for every cup.
    In the study, researchers analysed the genetic makeup of 370 people living Puglia in southern Italy and a further 843 from six villages in the Friuli Venezia region in the north east. All were asked to complete a survey, which included a question about how many cups of coffee they drank each day.
    The researchers found that people with a specific variant of the PDSS2 gene tended to drink fewer cups of coffee than those who carried other variations of the gene. To check the result, the researchers went to 1731 people in the Netherlands and found a similar effect, though the gene’s apparent influence over coffee consumption was weaker there.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...it-could-be-partly-genetic-new-study-suggests

Study: http://www.nature.com/articles/srep31590

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. coffeetablescience Registered Member

What is the real point of research like this? Shouldn't we be looking at something more important.

Sounds like research plan came up over a coffee break. I have some Affymetrix strips which I don't know what I can use for.
    "How about why you drink more coffee and I do not"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.