Do atheists indocrinate their children into their belief system?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Mar 23, 2008.

1. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

As if the theists are nuts who believe in some invisible-pink-something..
    Is this not indoctrination against theists ??

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So the central theme here is that she has no interest in religion so you do not provide her with any religious information.

Is this your inclination in all parts of her life? Do you not provide any information unless she first expresses an interest in it?

I find it really curious she did not ask you why her cousin is forced to go to church. How did she learn that the cousin is forced to go?

Thats interesting. More lack of interest or curiosity. It appears that lack of curiosity is a central theme in athiest households.

I went to a school run by a Christian who was probably a secular humanist. There was prayer but it was a generic prayer not aimed at any particular religion.
    So you never participate in Christmas mass or Christmas dinners?
    You never celebrate with Christian friends?
    Have you ever celebrated in any Christian festivities with Christian friends?

Why?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

My little boy (three months old) won't be taught about any specific religion in my household. He will no doubt be taught about religion during his time at school (in religious education classes), and will probably see and hear about Bible stories in television, books, etc.
    I won't deny him access to religious material but nor will I encourage him to learn about any one faith.
    If he asks me about God I'll tell him the truth, that I'm an atheist and that everyone on the planet is an intellectual agnostic.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Fine, I shall sit her down and force her to read The Gardnerian Book of Shadows even though she has expressed absolutely no interest in Wiccans. You've done that to your children have you?

Needless to say she gets teaching in the basics from school. If she expresses an interest in something specific I'll help her out with it.

What are you honestly telling me here? I should force her to read it?

I certainly tend to focus on things she is good at and/or interested in, but it's not about not 'providing any information' as it is not forcing things upon her.

I find it really curious why the neighbours children have expressed absolutely no interest in astronomy. My daughter loves it.

8. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

everneo,

To people such as yourself who have undergone indoctrination and/or are easily willing to believe in invisible-pink-somethings such as gods etc, then I am sure you see such thinking as normal, but for those who have undergone no indoctrinations and are unfamiliar with deep religious beliefs then your perspectives are confusing, and/or frightening.

How so? They have not been trained or forced to be anti-religious, but just simply react to bizarre claims in a normal manner.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Children should not be indoctrinated into anything, but they should be educated in sciences, including anthropology and comparative religion, as well as critical thinking, philosophy, cosmology, etc. on a level that a child should be aware of according to its level of development.

Since atheism is not a belief system, but lack of belief, children can not be indoctrinated into it.

Participation in religious rituals is not a requirement in education. However non-religious rituals can be used as effective methods of education.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I did not realise she gets religious education from school. Does she know that your opinions are at variance with the theology she is taught? What does she think about that?

Ok, just seems weird to be in a Christian society and have no curiosity about Christian customs. Or perhaps I am simply extrapolating from my own experiences with neighbors and friends (Gokulashtami, Ganpati, Diwali, Holi, Christmas, Eid) and find it odd that your daughter has no curiosity. Perhaps none of the people you know are into celebrating their religious festivals?

How did she get interested in astronomy?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I noticed you did not say how she learned her cousin was forced to go to church.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I've never attended a Christian Christmas meal. Do they organize such meals somewhere?

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Mostly at home. We have a family tradition (or had rather) of visiting first my dads Christian friends through my childhood. There are some items traditionally prepared at Christmas, mostly sweets. Later I followed the same custom with my own Christian friends and visit them all on Christmas day.

Christmas dinner is held the day before Christmas. We usually meet for dinner at home (I have a standing invitation at my friends place) after which we lay out presents under the tree and then go for midnight mass. Its held in the open air and after the service, there is carolling and fireworks. Then we walk home from church. In the morning, we open presents, have Christmas brunch, visit everyone and then go for the Christmas dance.

13. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

SAM,

I don’t think it is lack of curiosity but more about there are too many other more interesting things to focus on in life. But also more likely that without the indoctrination by parents and the feelings of guilt that religious parents place on their children then there is no motivation to recognize an invisible authority that might severely punish them for bizarre inactions or actions commonly dictated and imposed by religion structures.

Going to church on Christmas would have seemed a very odd thing to do – none of us were religious. We would have opened presents in the morning and would need to play with them, and there was the lunch to eat, etc.

Always used to have family Christmas dinners, but there was no religious significance though.

Christmas was for family. But no I have never really had any religious friends, or who were sufficiently religious that they would go to a church at Christmas time.

Tried being a real Christian from age 18-20, and took part in many Christian activities – e.g. weekend conferences, twice weekly church services, Christian youth club, etc. Came out of that intense learning scene with a significant distaste for Christianity and those Christian friends I thought I had made were distinctly unfriendly when I eventually refused to accept their concepts.

I guess from their perspective because religionists appear to be nutters with bizarre and abnormal ideas. Now if it were me I would focus on the religious folks and do my best to engage in friendly debate. I am truly fascinated by the hopelessly twisted ideas presented by the religious.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I have the same fascination for atheists, especially of the militant variety.

15. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

1) In England it is a part of the curriculum. All kids, be they 'atheists children' or 'theists children' get the same education unless one places their child into a faith based school in which case they learn absolute diddly-squat of religions other than the one their parents personally believe in. I find that interesting given your earlier statements concerning atheist children.

2) Amazingly she seems to have the ability to think for herself, and come to her own conclusions regardless to my stance on the matter. I don't sit her down and say "There is no santa", she figured it out all for herself. Same is true of my lack of belief in gods. One day she came home from school and, in childs words, told me belief in gods was nonsense. Like I said before, if she wants to know something specific I'll fill her in.

England has around 33% religiosity which clearly makes this not a christian society. Furthermore, this country is not run on christian doctrine, is not run by the church, etc etc and so on. christian country indeed :bugeye:

Given the low religiosity in England it's not unusual to have no friends that are religious.

By looking up.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ah so its not a faith based school? They learn about all religions? Thats standard in public education in India too. You were making her sound pretty clueless.

We never had any concept of Santa flying in. I don't remember a transition from "there is a Santa" to "there isn't a Santa". Mostly because I could see it was Lenny I suppose, he'd take off his beard to have a drink and stuff.
    Christian majority then. Does the 33% include non Christian beliefs?

That explains why she knows so little about Christmas, etc.

Of course. I'm guessing you have no interest in astronomy whatsoever.

17. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

I can differentiate between believers in invisible-pink-something and believers in god but you deny your kids this ability. This too is indoctrination of your stupidity onto them.

They are trained to recieve such claims as bizarre. duh.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

It's not necessary for parents to be involved.
    At the age of 6 I knew more about dinosaurs, ice age mammals and Baltic paganism than any kid or adult around me, my parents had nothing to do with that and they knew practicaly nothing about that, just bought me the books and body models I asked for.

19. tresbien Banned Banned

Do U Expect U Children To Have Filial Devotion That Is As We Muslim Do Take Care Of Our Parents When They Grow Up And We Are Not Alowed To Say Puf

20. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

That someone does not have interest in a specific subject does not make them clueless. Your children know much about how to find meteorites? No.. must be clueless :bugeye:

You of little culture.. hmmm...

Yes. This is not a christian country. Interesting article:

http://www.humanism.org.uk/site/cms/contentviewarticle.asp?article=2292&splash=yes

She knows a lot about christmas.. apparently just not whatever it is you think there is to know about it. You taught your kids about its origins as Sol Invictus? It's Odin influence? etc? Hmm?

Sure I do, I watch Star Trek.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I meant clueless about religion

22. tresbien Banned Banned

Dear friends
    Though we have different belief , i heratily wish u a happy life.My house is open to u wherever u want.

My question how do u expect u childrfen to have filial devotion and to take care of u when u grow up or even pray for u if they do not have any relationship with GOD

23. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Again: Having no interest does not mean clueless.

1) Final devotion? Must the fact that you're going to get old and die interrupt their lives? Must they forego their own lives just to make you happy in yours? Pfft.

2) Has praying for anyone ever stopped them from dropping dead? How about you stop praying, get off the floor and go do something decent like.. buy medicine?