Do thoughts have mass?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Fudge Muffin, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Fudge Muffin Fudge Muffin Registered Senior Member

I know the idea may appear ridiculous at first, but after reading Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol it really got me thinking...

Could thoughts have a very, miniscule mass? Then, through their miniscule gravity, they could have a really tiny affect on the real world?

Is this possible???

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. prometheus viva voce! Registered Senior Member

This thought certainly doesn't belong in physics and maths.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Thoughts are as real as houses.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Agreed.

8. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

No, they are bio-electric patterns between the synapses of your brain - they dont have mass per se, they are emergent properties of the process. The neurons and neurotransmitters involved in the process do have a mass, just like a cell has mass but electricity doesnt.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Man, alone, has the power to transform his thoughts into physical reality; man, alone, can dream and make his dreams come true.

Napoleon Hill

10. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Is that really correct? Doesn't electricity consist of particles that have mass too?

11. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Thoughts are physical, so yes. But they don't change the overall mass of the world, since they are made of the same things.

13. rohIT Registered Senior Member

thoughts and memories...the way we perform things is more of the way in which neuronal connections have been formed rather than some random electric charges. when a danger signal comes in, an electrical impulse, definitely of probably a unique strength, it is more of the path through which it travels that matters than the strength of the current generated itself.
    And, many believe that human brain is incapable of producing any thoughts. What i think is that thoughts are some kind of beings from another dimension we are able to summon at will. Then again, what will is becomes a question! So, will probably is a being (again from another dimension) that is with us always!

14. Annal606 Guest

Hmmmm ... I'm going to have to think about that one

15. Xotica Everyday I’m Shufflin Registered Senior Member

Perhaps. After all, many thoughts are accorded gravitas

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Chipz Banned Banned

I read a study citing American Idol as a direct cause of a reduction in Earth's gravitational pull.

17. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

I once asked the very same question. When I was finishing up my BS in physics, one of that last guest lectures I attended was about Maxwell's Demon and the ability do work with information. Keeping in mind this was a long time ago and I was never able to fully put this into context, the argument was made that useful information can do work, thus it must contain energy, whereas random information cannnot do work. A gedunken experiment followed in which we abstractly constructed a machine to demonstrate this principle.

My take away was that buried in the entropy arguments is the notion of order, vs disorder, in the mind of the Demon. In order to have a thought, at some level there must be a more highly ordered state that requires energy to be achieved [formed]. This energy input must result in an increase in mass. So my seat-of-the-pants logic suggested that thoughts must have mass.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  18. river

the interesting thing about thoughts though is that , thoughts , imagination ( a thought ) can produce a physical object , that on the without exists

the ability to " picture " this object in the minds eye

so it seems that thought and imagination work together to produce image(s) that help to understand the object but also to futher investigate this object

19. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Thoughts are the consequence of neurons signalling to each other. Neurons signal to each other via propagation of a membrane potential along axons and chemical signalling via neurotransmitters and receptors at the synaptic connection between axons. Neurotransmitters are molecules with mass. Propagation of membrane potentials is achieved via a wave of influx and efflux of ions across the membrane. Ions have mass.

So, using the above observations, I suppose you could say that thoughts have mass.

The above neurotransmission processes are happening constantly for both conscious and unconscious brain processes. Those ions and molecules are there regardless of how many conscious thoughts we have at any given moment. So the answer to this part of your question is probably no.

20. river

since thoughts and imagination have form , they both have mass

21. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

Is the "thought" a direct consequence of the potentials, or the flow of the ions, or is this a chicken and egg problem and we can't think of one without the other?

Probably no indeed. But as a technical matter, we have changing potentials? We can have varying degrees of brain activity, correct? And how are these potentials above related to EEGs [assuming they are]?

22. river

is thought somehow like this

a chemical wave ?

just throwing it out there

23. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member