Do you think Buddhsim promises too much?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by greenberg, Nov 9, 2007.

1. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Buddhism basically promises that if you follow through with a particular course of training, you will be able to attain nirvana, the complete cessation of suffering.

Do you think Buddhsim promises too much?
    More than it can deliver?
    More than can ever be delivered, by anyone or anything?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Buddhism is a method through which one may achieve a state where there is no emotional suffering, it doesn't promise the cessation of sensory input.
    Your finger still hurts if you mash it with a hammer, but you don't mind, and not emotion arises from the fact.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Navy Seals are taught the same thing, do you think they practice it as well?

The Seals are trained to forget about the pain they feel during their

missions and to get the job done at all costs.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

That was never suggested anyway.

But as for the question - Do you think Buddhism promises too much?

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

They still feel for their families, loved ones, they feel sad or angry, etc.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

No, I don't think so.

10. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

So you'd say Buddhism's goal is realistic and attainable?

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Yes.

12. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

How do you distinguish between reality and wishful thinking in relation to this belief that Buddhism's promised results are attainable and realistic?

Or to put it in less Greenbergian terms

What makes you so sure it will work? (I use the future tense assuming that you have not ended all of your suffering)

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Because I apply Buddhism and it has considerably decreased my emotional suffering.

14. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Grantywanty,

I am suspecting that you might think that Buddhism promises too much.
    If you do think so, would you care to explain how come?

15. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Actually my problem with Buddhism is not about it's success but about what it assumes we must do to ourselves to be ________________ (and there are a number of words that are used at this point: free from suffering, enlightened, etc.). And what parts of ourselves must be excised.

Whether it is successful or not is moot to me because their idea of success is not mine. I think from other posts of mine you probably have a sense of my differences.

I do think that believers in Nirvana or enlightenment or the ultimate perfect funtioning of Buddhism are in a very similar position to theists, at least in relation to other people. The claim is made that these practices will lead to ____________. People believe this and state it calmly as a truth.

How do they know this?

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I do not believe, I reply based on my own direct experience in the application of Buddhism, as well as a bit Dzogchen, but I've only recently begun exploring it.

Firstly I read about Buddhism, it interested me, then I read a few Buddhist texts, analyzed them, found them to be logical in theory, then I started applying them, and my direct experience is that it works. At no stage there has been a belief in Nirvanic experience, only desire to find out, if there is such a state.

17. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

So you don't know yet, but what you have experienced so far has been positive so you are continuing. Great.

But the OP is asking if this final ultimate goal promised by Buddhism is reachable and it seemed like in the context of the thread you said it was. That seems different from what you are saying here.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

But I didn't say I believe it can be reached.

Based on the psychological changes that I've done to myself applying Buddhism I know I've partially attained what the Buddhist texts speak about.
    At his point it is a logical and a rational assumption that if I successfully continue to apply it, I may reach the nirvanic state,, which is the logical conclusion of this practice, the same way as if a well is emptyed and some 20m have already been cleared out of water, it is logical to assume that at some point the well may become empty.
    Of course it might turn out to be a bottomless pit (irrational) or I run out of rope before reaching the bottom.

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Based on my experience I assume that it doesn't.

20. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

1) When asked if it was realistic and attainable you said 'Yes'. To me attainable means can be reached. 2)
    Here you say you didn't say it and below you say it is a logical and rational assumption. Are you saying you don't believe your logical and rational assumptions? (I just noticed the 'mays' but I still think in this thread you are giving a mixed message.)

21. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Sufferring is a perception of the mind. One who suffers, see's sufferring. One who does not suffer, see's only greatness.

22. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Good point.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think there's alot of unnecessary mysticism about enlightenment. Buddhism is a basic course in introspection. Some breakthrough is bound to happen if you are sincere in creating the basic conditions, most of it is biological.