Do you think intelligence is affected by eyesight?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Cat_with_no_eyes, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Cat_with_no_eyes Registered Senior Member

I have always wondered this, I have pretty bad eyesight, and I miss aot of attention to detail in things and my environment.I thought if I had good eyesight it would make me a sharper person and more reactive. SO I wondered if this affects your intelligence too? BUt then again many intelligent people and professors wear glasses ....bla bla..but If this is not true then I must be just plain stupid

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. enlighteneDone Banned Banned

Maybe eyesight is affected by intelligence.

Observations are affected by stillness of mind.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

reading reliable material will provide you with scads of knowledge.
    it might, in a round about way.
    not noticing detail might be taken as "dull" by your peers, this in turn affects your intelligence.
    no need to get all worked up about it, just keep it in mind.
    confused is a better word.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Intelligence and knowledge are supposed to be separate things, however most IQ tests seem to require knowledge of algebra and such.

Knowledge may have been hurt in the past by poor eyesight and not being able to read what the teacher is writing, but nowadays you can find close up videos of any subject on youtube.

Perhaps it is the constant reading and use of computers that makes smarter people require glasses, as opposed to people being smart because they need glasses.

8. Rickypon Registered Member

Hey Guys!
    Eyesight doesn't effect the ability of intelligence but requires different stragedies for learning.Eyesight may effect your ability to learn because of additional struggles and hurdles to overcome,its does not effect your intelligence.My eyesight is weak its did not mean that I,m not intelligent.

9. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

As I recall, the gene for intelligence is associated with the gene for astigmatism.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. sunshaker Registered Member

I think all children should have their eyes tested at the youngest age possibile, i was short sighted but never had glasses until i was 14-15, i could never see blackboards at school, or see faces clearly, i was slow learning to read, i suffered with a slight speech impediment which i now believe was not really seeing lips moving as a child, I still cannot really understand why i never had glasses in my younger years (perhaps the times large family no money), when i finally got glasses a new world openned up to me, my life changed. My world came into focus. But i "enjoy" having bad eyes now, i can see the world in focus or remove glasses and see a different world more abstract, i enjoy this balance.