Does anyone else hate Science?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Peter Griffin, Sep 27, 2002.

?

Does anyone else hate Science?

1. Yes, I hate Science!

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. No, I love Science!

64 vote(s)
    91.4%
  1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

well i am going to cheer for antology

the study of ME

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Isn't there already something like that. The study of the Paranormal

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*in shock*

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Aww, I mean't nothing by it....much

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i dont understand people who say they hate science

the most comon form of "science" is in ur kitchen

how ur cake rises and cooks

but then i dont get people who wont ask WHY

9. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Hate science? Not if you love technology (e.g.: aka Internet--applied science).

Hating not understanding science is an entirely different thing all together.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

science is a job

If we are talking about hating doing science you can't really tell if you hate or love science until you actually do some science (how logical). At what point do you do science? when your job description is scientist/researcher.

Yes...science is a job and there are good and bad aspects to this job. Doing science courses in school and university prepares you to be a scientist, but until you actually start doing research it is really difficult to tell if you might hate or love science. From my personal experience i can say that courses you get at school usually have little to do with what you do later.

I can imagine that you hate the way science influences society, since it does have some major influence and not always good. But i think we must remember that science is a human endeavour and everything we do comes with good and bad things.

end of rant

11. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

THAT'S for sure..

12. Amie Registered Senior Member

I teach biology and I am rather fond of science however foreign languages and history...blech...

I covered my friend's history class during my prep and it was a lesson on who discovered what? when? where? how? dates? sheesh who cares

and I also covered PE. I had them do cherry pickers but the highlight was when I covered "conversational spanish" whoa nelly! I suck

13. RDT2 Registered Senior Member

Agreed! There is no such thing as a boring subject. To say 'I hate science' is like saying 'I hate art/humanities/whatever.' It says more about the poster than it does about the subject.

Ron.

14. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

georgesltd56,

You are not doing to well on posts. So far you are zero for zero on posts. And so will you continue.

15. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

The funny thing is that none of the people with quackified theories have responded to this thread

16. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

Science!!!!

how could i not love science. sure there are some areas that are more interesting to me that others. but the general concept of science is what i love.

I'd like to give a shout out to all the cog sci people out there

no. science can be a job. you can do a little science here and there with out having a science job. didn't you have a science fair in school? was that not science? sure there is a huge difference from a science hobby and actually having it as a job. but i wouldn't say you can't do science unless you are a researcher. that's like saying you can't play music unless you are a professional musican.

yes i will agree that the courses on the ideas behind science do not give you a complete picture on what it would be like to be a scientist in that field. however i bet when people say they don't like science they really mean that they find the ideas uninteresting/boring.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Why people don't like science.

People don't like science because it threatens them. Look at all the utterly irrational stuff that's going on in the U.S. today, compared to 30-35 years ago when most people understood basic science.

More people believe in angels than evolution.
    SUVs outsell automobiles and people drive them ON the road.
    Half of the voters thought that a man who can't even speak his own native language fluently is a "statesman."
    The richest man in America got that way by selling products with a lower quality standard than the Yugo.
    Even within the twisted logic of religion, the faithful can't follow a straight line; most of them believe in Heaven, but very few believe in Hell.
    Politicians are so inept that their corruption is discovered while they're still in office.

The essence of science is reason. American's don't want to reason.

18. Binary Registered Senior Member

I would have to agree with you here. However, despite how much it has developed over the years, the disease of irrationality has seemingly only become more prevalent in science. Science as a whole may claim to offer reason, yet oftenly these reasons only justification is derived through the desparation of necassity, as an attempt to preserve credibility. Which usually invovles the willful exclusion and/or denial of logically derived reason.

Because one offers reason, does not make it right, nor unproven, does it add validity to thier claim to be genuine.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No reason, no science

Absolutely. Science is supposed to be a quest for the truth. Instead, as often as not, a group of scientists is hired on the basis of all favoring a particular theory or hypothesis, and their efforts focus on trying to prove it or at least to amass as much evidence as possible in its support. This is "reason" only in the sense that a high school debating team practices "reason," to hone their skills at argument. And it is certainly not "science," because the one thing that is discarded before the research even begins is the scientific method.

Even I would hate science if I believed that this is actually science!

20. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

Science is fine.
    It's the scientist that i'm worried about.
    (maybe i'm just being anal about semantics here)

well scientist are people, and people can be irrational and can be motivated by things, like money. I've met some scientist who were obviously interested in profitable science. it was very strange, they treated it like a business. and that's always a problem, when profit becomes the botom line. that's scientific misconduct just waiting to happen.

21. Balder1 Registered Senior Member

I hate the rote memorization of arcane terms that comes with science, especially biology. I hate doing the tedious experiments over and over and over again. I'll be honest, science is tedious and boring. I respect anyone who has the reserve and patience to endure it, and I love the results it gives us.

Scientists deserve good money for the work they do. For those of us who live on Earth, money is important. You can't eat truth, truth doesn't give you happiness, and truth doesn't make your life any more comfortable. But I would tend to agree that making profit the bottom line is bad.

22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i hate science right now, because i am writing a review paper and I hate those.

23. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

Spurious..

what is your review paper on, if i might ask?