Does Non-Existance Exists?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by TruthSeeker, May 27, 2006.

1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Yes. It is called oblivion.
    Just like on and off on a light switch.
    There is existence and there is oblivion (the absence of existence).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Like say everything that exists has a positive existance and "nothingness" is zero. Fairly interesting, negative existance.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

As soon as you stop thinking in time and space (where and when), you will find out.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I hope there is a lack of humor in that statement, I understand what you are talking about

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

the formless structure of the dao, the empty force that holds the universe together,

but as i just named it i guess its not nothing anymore, and its now something,

so i just turned nothingness into something, i created existence of the non existing form,

now tell me im not a god,

peace.

10. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

How does giving a name to something make it something? Perhaps I am thinking of "nothingness" differently than everyone else?

11. Regulus There are no accidents. Registered Senior Member

My opinion on non existance is the only way for something to not exist is limit. As long as infinite universes/dimensions exist, ANYTHING can exist.

although that's debatable. A soul sucking machine doesn't exist.

Or.... does it? :bugeye:

12. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I would have to say there is a finite amount of energy/mass in the universe... so not everything that can exist currently exists.

13. Regulus There are no accidents. Registered Senior Member

I am talking about multiple universe's here. With one Universe there's only one possibility, one set of physical laws, one dimension. With multiverse possibilities are limitless.

14. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

That sort of goes along the lines of my theory of hierarchical universes (I feel it is "good enough" to explain where everything came from).

15. Diogenes' Dog Subvert the dominant cliche... Registered Senior Member

What exists at the centre of a black hole?
    What exists outside the universe?
    What is the square root of -1?
    What precedes a thought?

...just some ideas!

I think someone already mentioned virtual particles...

16. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

black holes don't exist.

nothing (infinity)

i

will.

17. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Funny thing about i, the sqaure root of -1, is that all we did was call it something. Seems like a pussy way to deal with a number we know nothing about it, but it works. Same thing we did when we wanted to know how to deal with this a + b = 0. We will just call b = -a.

18. Diogenes' Dog Subvert the dominant cliche... Registered Senior Member

So, do they qualify?
    So, do they exist (we can see their effects) as non-existences?

OK it's not in the Universe, and actually, there may be "branes" out there in the multidimensional multiverse.

So, if you walked i kilometers North, where would you get to?
    If you gave me i dollars or pounds, how rich would I be?
    Does "i" exist as non-existence?

Do you will all your thoughts into existence? That must be a strain! What about the decision to "will" a thought - isn't that itself a thought? What comes before that? Don't thoughts just spontaneously arise from something else, but what is that something? Does it exist as a non-existence?

I agree Absane - we just give it a name, without conceptualising it, which is a very pussy way of dealing with a number. It could be objected that we are just playing with concepts, but a very practical example might be the exact ratio of the radius to circumference of a circle. Once we get onto transcendental numbers etc. I'm sure there are loads of non-existent quantities existing. :bugeye:

19. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

heehee, those are just small neutron stars!!

ye, and what would be beyond those branes then?

well, i don't really understand anything about that i thing, i was just giving you a common answer because i don't know what you meant with -1.

the will is not always fully conscious.

will comes from nothingness, thoughts come from will and concentration. thoughts don't always come from our own person though, mental waves travel all around us and sometimes many people can get affected by the same thoughts (like in religion)

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

No. They are something. Maybe there's nothingness in its layers...

21. Diogenes' Dog Subvert the dominant cliche... Registered Senior Member

I'm disappointed TruthSeeker! ...nothingness in it's layers? Umm - broody chickens?

That's just what I was thinking... Spooooky! :m:

22. Dr Hannibal Lecter Gentleman and Cannibal. Registered Senior Member

23. Parmenides Registered Senior Member

It seems to be a maxim in Western philosophy that nothing does not exist, and that nothing comes from nothing.

Parmenides said that all Reality is essentially One unchanging Being, and that change is an illusion. He also remarked that because Being exists everywhere, there isn't anywhere where there isn't 'something' and the void, like change, is illusory.

Aristotle and Plato also argued against the existence of vacuums and voids in nature, essentially on the grounds that to Plato it made little sense that non-being was real because non-being was not really a 'something' at all but rather a form of privation of true reality, which were the eternal Forms. Aristotle believed that the idea of a vacuum or void made little sense on his belief that the universe could not be devoid of substances, and also on his belief the universe was finite and hence had no 'gaps.'

In Neo-Platonic and Scholastic Philosophy, similar arguments were given against the existence of a void. The main objection to the idea of nothingness was that Augustine (the founding father of Christian philosophy) identified God as pure, essential and infinite Being, perfect and with no defects. In Augustine's view, God's essence filled the entire universe and 'nothing' was only applicable to all created things, whose own being was on loan from God. Similarly, the Neo-Platonists identified Goodness as the fullness and infinity of Being.

However, sometimes also God or supreme reality was viewed as a sort of nothingness. Dionysius the Aeropagite, using Plotinus and Proclus, identified God as the 'One' which was so transcendant from all Being that effectively it was nothing, an infinite nothingness. John Scotus Eriugena took up this line of argument and developed a very elaborate philosophy which argued both God and nature were not really Beings at all, but rather a sort of transcendant nothingness which creates itself into Being.

In Eastern Philosophy, Buddhism developed the idea of 'shunyata' or 'Emptiness.' While the Buddha himself probably didn't teach such a doctrine, he did argue there was no eternal self or being, and that everything in the universe comes into being and then vanishes. Nagarjuna, the great Buddhist philosopher, taught that Shunyata was also somehow the source of reality, while being careful not to argue Shunyata itself was either a Being or a nothing, as neither concept accurately describes the Real.

Islamic and Jewish Philosophy tended to also emphasize God's being, however some forms of mystical Kabbalah and Sufism in Islam also describe God as being a transcendant not-being because God's being is so radically infinite no being (including the universe itself) approaches God's reality.

With the rise of empirical Science in the West the idea of the void as well as creation from nothing became more respectable. Discoveries in Astronomy (such as the vast distances of stars), Chemistry (the atomic hypothesis and the theories of gas) and physics (quantum mechanics) showed how things could come into being from nothing. The Big Bang theory of cosmology, now widely accepted in Science, is perhaps the pinnacle of this.

I certainly think the concept of not-being and nothingness deserves much further philosophical analysis and examination than it has been granted in Western philosophy. In this sense we can learn positively from the Buddhist philosophers, who have gone to great depths to try and fathom the meaning of not-being and what the universe means if it comes from nothing.