Does time exist?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Shadow1, Mar 31, 2010.

?

Does time exist?

This poll will close on Sep 13, 2037 at 2:04 PM.
  1. Yes

55.6%
  2. No

44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

you read my mind

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

distance/speed= time

think about it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

yes, but, it's something we made it, can you go back in time? if time exist, you should be able to, also, true, we mesure time, time needed for the trip, time that the car or the vehicule, needed so it passed that distance, i don't know how to explain it, it's in my head, but, i can't know how to discribe it, i mean, the idea of the non-existence of time

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

You are accepting the car, you don't think to go back on an already made car. It exists as a car now. Even if you dismantle a car you will not be able to put all the elements back to their original position, you will not be able to give the labour back to their owners, and so on and so forth...
    You also accept the existence of speed, and you know that there is no reverse, or minus speed; you can not "go back" in speed. So when you divide these two existence you get an expression that indicates a direct relation between these two concepts. But for some reason, you expect to "go back" in this relation, a.k.a. "time"...

science deals with existence, "the idea" of "non-existence" of time is something out of topic; at least out of what science deals with. Maybe you should try some religious or metaphysical forums. I bet they have some "eternal" and/or "never changing" ideas on time, as much as everything else. Good luck...

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

But all you've done is inverted the equation that defines speed. Speed is the derived variable; distance and time are both elementary. Speed is defined as distance per unit time. If there is no time, there is no speed.

9. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

naaaah

10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Why?
    What makes you think that?

11. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

If time travel was possible, would you go back in age as you go back in time?

12. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

The subject is time, that's why I separated it. Plus, you can take anything outside of an equation in order to emphasize one particular aspect.

E = mc^2; yet, if I want to highlight the mass, it easily becomes m = E/c^2...

13. Neverfly Banned Banned

Baftan, are you thinking of "Time" as either a tangible, physical object or something that is pure concept?

Does gravity exist? Define it and define its existence or nonexistence.

14. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

AFAIK Time is simply a measure of change. Suppose the universe were a solid unchanging sphere. That universe would have no time.

15. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

Light, sound, electromagnetic energy types, alongside gravity, are not tangible. So something can be physical without being tangible. Actually, the most of the physical forms in universe are not tangible. Tangibility was emerged in the later stages of universal evolution.
    "Concept", however, is a pure human invention and only works for human psyche. Universe can and do exist quite independent from concepts; yet humans -or any other thing- can not exist without universal physical forces.
    If you are still desperate for further "definition(s)" for terms that you are curious about such as "gravity", "tangible", "physics" and "concept"; you can start with entering them on Wikipedia.

16. Neverfly Banned Banned

I was not asking Wikipedia. I was asking you.

17. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

So you got my answer.

18. Neverfly Banned Banned

Actually, I did not. I got referrals.

Can you state in your own words an effective demonstration of how time is pure concept and does not exist in our Universe?

ETA: To nip any confusion in the bud- - I often ask for citations. However, in this case, I got citations without solid claims. Which is why this post may appear contradictory to normal.

19. jmpet Valued Senior Member

TIME EXISTS.

END OF THREAD.

Golly- I can't want to see this exact thread all over again a week or two from now.

20. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

You have to first find the part where I claimed such a thing.

21. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

TIME DON'T EXISTS.

END OF THREAD.

Golly- I can't want to see this exact thread all over again a week or two from now.

22. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

23. Neverfly Banned Banned

You're right. I screwed up. I had attributed a post made by Steven Genieus
    to you somehow.

Sorry about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.