Does zero exist as material, immaterial or both?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Quantum Quack, Oct 6, 2013.

1. N0THING Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. N0THING Registered Senior Member

You seem to be completely unfamiliar with general relativity, I'd suggest reading up on it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. N0THING Registered Senior Member

Here is a nice laymen introduction to GR by Brian Greene...

[video=youtube;0rocNtnD-yI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rocNtnD-yI[/video]

It's not perfect, and it doesn't go into all of the implications of GR, but you can get the general idea.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Space didn't warp the light's path. Space is merely the volume in which the light traveled. It is impossible for space to be bent or warped, as space is not an object! There is nothing to bend or warp. You've shown a pic of light traveling in space. Space was unaffected!

8. N0THING Registered Senior Member

:wallbang: Ok, I give up. If anyone else here would like to try disabusing Motor Daddy of his misconceptions, feel free to do so.

9. N0THING Registered Senior Member

By the way, Motor Daddy, if you don't believe in general relativity, what do you think gravity is?

This should be interesting.

10. N0THING Registered Senior Member

After looking at some of your other posts, it's clear you're trolling, or you're... Well, let's just leave it at trolling.

Thanks for the warning, guys!

11. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

ahh just reading... and note that this is possibly where the main area of contention is.
    Is space something or is it nothing?
    Is it material or is it immaterial?
    If I am not mistaken GR allows for lights path to be bent referring to the curvature of space [caused by gravitational distortions]. This implies that space has a material existence , therefore space could be considered to be a volume-ous aether of some sort.

12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Let's see,

Correct me if I am wrong ok?

@NOTHING.
    In GR space and gravity are NOT treated as separate as they are one and the same thing... thus if lights path is bent then space is bent.

@Motor daddy,
    How dare you question GR?

By declaring space [a nothingness or "zero space" volume ] as being separate to gravitational space? [chuckle]
    thus if lights path is bent, it is so because of gravitational space distortions, leaving "nothingness or zero space" unaffected [ as this nothing space doesn't exist to be effected ]

IMO you are both right...

Supporting evidence:
    I believe in successful Quantum entanglement experiments, connectivity between point A and point B are unaffected by intervening matter in 3 dimensional space as the entanglement occurs in "zero space" ***
    Thus gravitational distortions may not effect the experiments.

***I am not sure of the correct terminology..

13. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Motor Daddy is a relativity denialist who includes Galileo in his list of "must be wrong" dudes.

In the Motor Daddyverse, time is absolute and there are no approximations. Thus, one needs as many decimal places as possible to underline the fact that motion is also absolute and there are no different frames of reference: either you're moving, or you aren't.

14. N0THING Registered Senior Member

It's something.

Define material.

Warped space isn't caused by gravity, it is gravity.

Call it what you want, but it's not nothing.

15. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Gravity is the constant attempt by nature to restore matter to its equilibrium shape, which is a density order sphere, where the core of the sphere is the most dense and the outer boundary of the sphere is the least dense. Gravity is the force created when a density order imbalance has occurred. Gravity is what causes a released helium balloon to move away from the center of the earth. Gravity is what causes the earth to move AWAY from the sun!

16. N0THING Registered Senior Member

:bugeye:

He's serious? You're sure he's not trolling? I saw the thread he made about the planets coming out of the sun, it's amazing how many replies it got.

17. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I've heard many people say a beach ball at rest on the beach is accelerating at \(9.8 m/s^2\). Are you one of those??

No really, I'm serious. There's actually people out there that believe a beach ball at rest on the beach is increasing or decreasing velocity towards the center of the earth. Can you believe it??

Is the ball changing distance from the center of the earth while it's on the beach?

18. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

This was explained. The ball is accelerating in one dimension (or direction), the time dimension. It's at rest so it isn't accelerating in space.

Unless of course, gravity "stops working" on the ball when it's at rest. (??)

19. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately objects don't accelerate in the time dimension. Acceleration is THE RATE OF CHANGE OF VELOCITY. I say again, THE RATE OF CHANGE OF VELOCITY!!!

The velocity of the beach ball towards the center of the earth is ZERO! Ten minutes later the velocity is ZERO, so the acceleration is ZERO!!

20. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

That's what I said: It's at rest so it isn't accelerating in space.
    Yes, but what about during the ten minutes? Does gravity only work in three dimensions?

21. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

You said:
    The ball is NOT accelerating while it's at rest on the beach. The acceleration is \(0 m/s^2\)

If the ball were accelerating the acceleration would be other than zero. The distance between the ball and the center of the earth would change over a duration of time, but it doesn't during the measured ten minutes.

Theoretically, at any point in time during the measured ten minutes there was no change in distance between the center of the earth and the ball so the ball's velocity during the entire ten minutes was 0 m/s, which means the acceleration was \(0 m/s^2\)

Gravity is present in 3 dimensional space and it is impossible to be at any other point not included in that space, so my answer is: yes, gravity only works in three dimensions, as three dimensional space is all inclusive, infinitely.

22. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

arfa brane, I'm waiting for you to show me how I'm wrong and how the ball really is accelerating while at rest on the beach, and for you to tell me what the acceleration rate is so that I can figure out how much time it will take for the ball to reach the center of the earth! When you tell me the acceleration rate then I can go test your theory and see how much time it REALLY takes for the ball to get to the center of the earth and at what velocity it reaches the center of the earth! Get a clue!

23. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

What about time? Are you saying there is no 4th dimension?