Dog castration vs. tail docking

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Syzygys, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Obviously, the analogy went over your head. Let me try and break it down for you...

You can communicate now through spoken language (presumably), but that is not "necessary". It is analogous to saying you would do just as well without a tongue, constrained to "sign language", because that is all that is necessary. Comprende? Si?

Are you sure?

Imagine how much more efficient said communication would be if they only had a tail...
    :idea:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

@ Randwolf

I can see you aren't going to be reasonable, and your opinion isn't going to change my mind, so on this subject I'm done with you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Cool... I love closed minds in the face of empirical evidence and logical arguments. It renews my faith in evolution.

Good luck with the Darwin award...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm not going to blast the board with URLs (which I can't open anyway through my corporate server, even yours). However, I typed "Rottweiler pull carts" into Bing and most of the sites at the top of the list had "originally bred to pull carts" in the blurb. Most of the others, interestingly enough, were all about building or buying a cart for your own Rottweiler to pull. I didn't find any that contradicted the hypothesis, at least not in the first couple of lines.

I wonder if there are any in the Iditarod? Maybe not enough fur.

8. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I doubt any Rotties have participated in an Iditarod event, but there are sports involving dogs pulling skies and bicycles and I'm pretty certain I've seen some Rotties involved.

For Randwolf: sorry, no specific links as I can't, for the life of me, recall the name of either sport. But look for videos on that most authoritative of sites, Youtube.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

@ Parmalee & Fraggle

Fraggle, I don't doubt the veracity of your claim, I was merely curious. I had heard that they were draught dogs, but also as hunters. After more research, it appears that the origin goes like this:

• Herding
    • War
    • Draught
    • Guard
    • Hunting
    • Companion

Obviously, it depends upon who you ask, but this seems a good start for the "Butcher dog":
    This appears to be a good article from a site dedicated solely to Rott's.

I checked numerous other sources and kept getting the same answers, so if asked again I would have to revise my position and say they were originally bred as cattle drovers. (Depending on how far back you want to go)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  10. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Interesting article.

It's hard for me to imagine our contemporary Rottweilers--and I'm thinking of both American and European ones whom I've met--working as drovers or herders, but I can easily picture them as flock guards. I've noticed herding tendencies in some, either when playing with kids or other dogs, but their form just seems too cumbersome and their techniques awkward.

That said, both of my heelers--the late Parmalee and the present Daisy--have tended to handle smaller animals, like mice, squirrels, birds, etc., with the utmost delicacy and tenderness--almost like a gun dog, which they are anything but! And both of my dogs came from a stock dog lineage. Of course, other heelers I've either fostered or trained weren't quite so... gentle.