EArth Heading into Ice Age

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by ck27, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

"if anything applies so much pressure as an steroid"

You mean California's governor may explode?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

haha! Oops sorry. Typos.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

Though this article is offered by a company that does have a vested interest in "global warming" it does have a number of references that one could use to launch more investigation:

http://www.ewire.com/display.cfm/Wire_ID/2216

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Andre Registered Senior Member

The question here is which is more nonsense, the "day after tomorrow" or this article. [/nods head sadly]

8. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

I guess that's easier than picking at the data there.

9. ck27 Registered Senior Member

Im not sure what u mean>? I never posted this article with anything to due with that movie. That movie is unrealistic and completely fake. Their is a thread on that movie in here. I just think over time earth is heading into the next ice age with in the next thousand years.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Day after tomorrow did one good thing -> brought the subject into general populace.

11. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Because the last four ice ages lasted about the same length of time with the last one ending about 13,000 to 15,000 years ago. The next one should be advancing on us in about another 15 ,000 years. Dress warm!

Yob Atta

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

if a real/serious ice age starts then I'm screwed. ~2km of ice above my head.

13. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Forget the ice, maybe this "Thread" is way over your head..........

Yob Atta

14. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Asteroids&Comets must make essentially direct hits to cause much damage / ice ages etc. Volcanoes are already here, but seldom if ever cool Earth for a period long enough to make a new ice age. Some of the more serious posts to this thread seem to think that cold winters result in ice ages, but it is cold summers that fail to melt all the snow of the prior winter that is more important, especially as the albedo increases. One major problem, not well understood, is how the Earth gets out of the high albedo state of an ice age. Any thoughts on this?

Some of you may want to visit www.DarkVisitor.com where you will learn why I am interested in ice ages and how they can be quickly initiated.

This is my frist reply - I hope I am supposed to leave the text below, rather than clean it out.

15. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

You're forgetting the "Supervolcanos"...........Yellowstone is a good example of the world's largest supervolcano that erupts approx. every 600,000 years with a force of 10,000 volcanos going off at the same time and right now, is approx. 40,000 years overdue. When Yellowstone goes again and it will sooner than later, you can bet there will be a define dramatic long term cooling effect on the earth's climate. Ice age? Maybe..........

Yob Atta

16. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I'm not forgetting, as I did not know of it. However, if a there is an Earth based source of long lasting atmospheric dust / ash cover, I think the result would be heating, not cooling. Venus is a good example. Because of the high albedo of its permanent cloud cover, Venus absorbes about half as much solar heat as Earth yet the surface is hotter than liquid lead!

On a small scale, orange growers put "smudge pots" out on cold clear nights, not for the trivial heat they release, but for the cloud blanket that prevents radiative cooling to the 4 degree sky.

Again I ask: Any ideas as to how we get out of the high albedo state of an icy Earth? Your super volcaneos may be part of the answer if they pump out enough greenhouse gases, but then I ask, could our ice-age ancestors have survived such a changed, and presumbably toxic, atmosphere. Clearly they did.

17. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

When the supervolcano "TOBA" blew it's top off approx. 74,000 years ago, our neanderthal and other hominid ancestors dwindled down from a approx. a half million worldwide population at that time to only about 4,000 or 5,000 hungry hairy hominids thanks to TOBA.....

Yob Atta

18. Andre Registered Senior Member

Whilst we should not underestimate the immediate effect of these eruptions, a long term effect like a prolonged ice age is not likely. The volcanic tracers in the GISPII ice core of Greenland clearly show the Mt Toba eruption around 71 Ky BP (instead of the usual 74 Ky) but after a few years, there is no more trace left. This is logical. The number of particles in the air are not a norm for the time it takes for these particles to settle down again. So any eruption may create havoc with climate for a couple of years. There is no reason to assume that it last for centuries or may even trigger ice ages.

19. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

I think the TOBA eruption had a big effect on the population at that time. No place for the neanderthals and hairy hominids to go and hide except caves. Research has shown that the hairy hominids population at that time dwindled down to approx. 4 or 5 thousand after TOBA erupted. Not to bad considering the total hairy hominid population was probably around 4 to 5 hundred thousand prior to the eruption.......What killed them off? Probably the climate change. It definetly got colder after the eruption and not enough fur coats, hamburgers and warm socks to go around in those days (circa: 72,000 BC).

Yob Atta

20. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I agree with Andre – the particles fell out after large volcanic events too quickly to produce an ice age, however, one must also consider the new gases that might be released into the atmosphere. The dominate gases of the atmosphere, oxygen and nitrogen molecules, are symmetric. Thus they have zero electric dipole moments and consequently neither radiate nor absorb IR or visible radiation well. (I.e. they are transparent.) Molecules like CO2 and SO2 have permanent dipole moments and thus couple to radiation very well. (I.e. are strong “green house” gases.) Thus I find it difficult to accept Norman’s suggestion that Neanderthal populations went into steep decline because a strong volcano induced an ice age and their were too few caves, warm sock etc. If any thing, the physical effect would have been to make a long lasting heat wave by enhanced greenhouse effect. Perhaps these more hairy creatures, died of heat stroke, while our nearly furless ancestors prospered.

21. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Sorry to bust your bubble, but as I mentioned, there has been much research done to show that the supervolcano TOBA eruption (circa; 72,000 BC) reduced your (I emphasize the word "your") immediate neanderthal relatives down to 4 or 5,000 club bearing, cave dwelling hairy hominids. You can just about go to any internet site about the TOBA eruption and find those facts out for yourself. But if you still think TOBA had very little effect on the hairy hominid population at that time, then I suggest that you buy a lake side view apartment on the shore of Yellowstone Lake, and wait for that fateful day (it's approx. 40,000 years overdue) when ole Yellowstone (the world's largest supervocano) decides to blow it's top off again and it will sooner than later...........Be sure and keep your "club" handy (if you're still around and able) to beat up any of the left over hungry hairy hominids that may be hanging around after the eruption that may want to steal your stockpile of McDonalds hamburgers and beer.......Ha!

Yob Atta

22. ck27 Registered Senior Member

IM not sure if this goes for any where else. But i think the earth is actually getting colder. Cause this summer has been the coldest summer ive ever lived. Same with last year. It seems to get a little colder every year. Or atleast not as hot

23. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

You're right.........It's actually getting colder, but sound research has shown that it will take approx. another 15,000 years before the earth advances into a full scale ice age again. I would recommend a before that time to stock up on some good warm clothing, cigarettes and beer! If you're still around then, a daily temperature update would be appreciated.

Yob Atta