Empirical Evidence of God

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Bowser, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't have to believe it, as it is woven into any language.
    Of course feel free to show that is not the case.

We're aren't talking about ''the sense of I'', and who is the ''me'' in this sentence?

Then you have some idea of where I'm coming from.

Have you really?
    It seems to me you're just going along with the usual atheist denial and rejection.

But they're not mantras, Sarkus. They represent your fundamental position. The position you deny, and or reject.
    You can't have your cake, and eat it.

I don't think that is the case Sarkus.

jan.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

As I said , Evolution has no plan. We are here pondering things like origins because we are here pondering things like orgins. Evolution is not like your god thingy having thoughts and planning things ahead.
    Things are only honest if they agree with your belief?
    Everything about me is a product of Nature via Evolution. You just can't accept that. I know I'm not a tree or a rock, that doesn't mean I was ''made'' by a god.
    My origin was in Nature and via Evolution I am Nature conscious and thinking.
    Don't understand where your coming from here? Is this something to do with your ace in the hole, your god?
    You are aware that is only your belief.
    Because Nature via Evolution made me that way.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

The ability to refer to something as one's own is certainly part of language. I haven't said otherwise. The issue is that you are trying to use the ability to talk of owning one's body (i.e. talking about "my body") as some sort of proof of substance dualism (the dualism between the body and the soul, the "I"). Yet when I quite validly offer as a contrary position the ability to talk about "my soul", or "my 'I'" you cry foul. You are simply attempting to special plead for the illegitimacy of any example that doesn't suit your case.
    It has been noted. It has been called out.
    I have no doubt you believe it, Jan, but your argument is fallacious, as demonstrated, despite your unwillingness to accept it.
    Is this a question or a statement? I ask as, though you have used a question-mark at the end, it makes no sense as a question in relation to what I said. Please can you clarify what you are asking.
    Yes, you are coming from a misunderstanding of a report that you read (or that was referenced in something you read) where you have taken propensity for humans to believe in the certain things as somehow being a reason for the beliefs to be beyond challenge, and to be unsupported.
    When young we have a propensity to believe in superstition, in monsters, in mythical creatures. By your reasoning these things are beyond challenge. By your logic those no longer believing in those things must support their lack of belief.
    Your critical thinking skills in this regard, Jan, really do seem to be those of just such a child.
    Yes, the "usual" being having no convincing reason to believe. To me that is convincing enough reason not to hold the belief. Why would that not be enough for you? Do you still believe in fairies, Santa, mythical creatures, the Easter Bunny?
    They represent your strawman view of atheism, Jan. You patently refuse to listen to anything any atheist actually tells you other than when it neatly fits your strawman. And then you tend to latch on to it as if it proves your strawman is more than what it is.
    The more you revert to them the more pointless your involvement on this website becomes, and given how frequently you use them...
    Irrelevant. So pretty much like most of what you say.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Yep - bizarre thinking indeed.
    You too?

8. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

If there was God the conditions would have been as in a machine. Artificial intelligence!

Write4U likes this.
  9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Or perhaps more accurately put; a mathematical pseudo-intelligent function.
    Something like a natural "cause --> effect" function of "if this" --> "then that".

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  10. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

As I recall you have the Miss World

Mine Miss Universe

And you have Big Foot

I have Loch Ness Monster

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Here in Idaho we have ticks. Tick

, tick

, tick

12. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Those too. Actually I have been working on a car that runs on potatoes. Results are promising.
    So far a 10 lb bag of potatoes will give me 123 miles, and have 7 lbs of edible precooked mashed potatoes as a byproduct. One problem I am working on is cleaning the potato hopper while driving and packaging the mashed potatoes for resale . Space and aerodynamics are the main obstacle to overcome before we can go into production.....

p.s. I'm selling shares in the POTATOMOBILE, llc

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

An additional detail in the potato clock is that the potatoes must be of exact same weight or the clock will run fast or slow depending on polarity....

Found that sprouts on the potatoes affect the polarity significantly.

But the beauty of the potato clock is that it also creates delicious baked potatoes "over time", no need to buy batteries ever again. Every week two delicious baked potatoes and a fresh clock.
    I like potatoes.....

tick...

...tick...

...tick...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    sideshowbob likes this.
  15. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

To many sprouts and you find you reverse time

16. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I'm not offering it as proof of anything.
    It is simply a starting place. We are not our bodies.

Not everyone see the soul as the self, so yes people will refer to ''my soul''.
    But no one refers to ''I'' as ''my I''. That would be illogical, and for good reason.

It's not an argument, it is a fact. Now you can deny this fact, but it doesn't change it. We know we are not our bodies, instinctively.
    The next obvious question should be, what are we, so we can understand who we are. Not trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

We already know we don't have a sense of "me" or "I". Because that begs the question, who is having these sense.
    You have to claim ownership. You cannot have a conversation where you can act as though you are the body.

Where have you demonstrated that?
    You demonstrate I am right everytime you talk. But you want to set up a hypothetical scenario, where you can make your case, just as you do with God.
    That way you can go on and on.

Who is having the "sense of "I", in your scenario?

jan.

17. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

...only the penitent man will pass.

18. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

That is what you believe, and you support it through this ridiculous argument from language.
    It's not illogical at all, although you clearly need to see it as such to be able to dismiss it. I get that.
    If you think it a fact rather than just your belief, your opinion, then demonstrate this fact, Jan. Prove to me that we are not our bodies, that there is a substance dualism between the body and the self. Can you do that, please?
    Some certainly believe it. Others do not. Neither belief need be instinctive. Furthermore, instincts can be wrong.
    For those who believe there are square holes and round pegs, it would undoubtedly seem a strange thing to do. Unfortunately for you, not everyone shares your belief. You can try to assert your belief as fact, but hopefully you have more to support it than mere assertion and an argument from language?
    You don't have a sense of "I"? Seriously????
    Now I know that you're just making shit up on the spot and trying to polish it as hard as you can.
    Language is not proof of reality, Jan. It is merely an indication of cultural history and how thinks might appear.
    Every time one refers to one's own sense of "I". Rather puts a gaping hole in the argument from language you were otherwise using.
    Ah, back to your lack of actual argument, I see. Just simple unwillingness to address any issue, and reversion to your state of ignorance.
    The individual, Jan. Not another individual, who has their own sense of I.

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

An intriguing question. Do you suppose the potato will keep growing in size or the univere will start shrinking in size, t0 accommodate some kind of differential time equation?

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Penitent for what? How dare you even suggest someone else needs to be penitent! Hubris!

Clean up your own garden before you critique someone else's garden. This is not funny....

21. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Not sure about the shrinking although you could be right on that point

As I get older parts of my body appear to be shrinking

And Scientists looking at one of Saturn's moons remark it looks like a potato

It's a strange Universe we live in

What was the original post about? Can potatoes prove there is a god?

22. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    Lord of the fries?

<>

Michael 345 likes this.
  23. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Well would you believe?

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/potatogod/

As I mentioned We live in a strange Universe