English Spelling u guys pissed me off

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Sky, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Sky Registered Senior Member

I think if we remove all the posts on which people criticise others english , sciforums will be more focused at the subjects we are talking about , its like in every Thread , one finds a post as " look at the stupid fool who posted before , he does not know how to spell hahaha "

Can anybody explain this sci tragedy

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MagiAwen Registered Senior Member

People like to point out the failures in others to try to cover up their own inadequacies?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sky Registered Senior Member

Can someone help us with a spelling check icon so we solve this matter

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MagiAwen Registered Senior Member

Actually spell checking would solve only a portion of it unfortunately. A spell checker can only check for correct spelling, not usage. So if you use an incorrect word but it is spelled correctly they are still gonna persecute those that use it incorrectly.

I understand your anger and you are right to feel this way in my opinion. With as many people around here that imply they know so much to be so intolerant is simply incorrigible.

8. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

This is after all a science forum and I think one could expect a certain level linguistic knowledge and correctness.

Also, if you make mistakes and no one corrects them you will just go on making them. Furthermore, it can be quite hard to understand posts containing wrong words or an abysmal sentence structure.

For starters, you could write your posts in a normal writing programm that has a spell checking option, like Microsoft Words or so. Alas, such a programm will help no one with their sentence structure and other grammatical mistakes.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  9. vslayer Registered Senior Member

you are expected ta make mess ups as with any typing, try not to let it bother you, im always getting my vowels switched over on my dvorak keyboard (it goes: aoeuidhtns- on the second line)

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If you really want to improve your spelling and grammer just use Microsofts "Word" to write your post on then copy it there and transfer it here. That's very easy for anyone to do but few of us bother for this is supposed to be a "somewhat" informal discussion forum, isn't it?

11. Ancient_Yesterday251 Registered Senior Member

Dreamwalker:
    "Also, if you make mistakes and no one corrects them you will just go on making them. Furthermore, it can be quite hard to understand posts containing wrong words or an abissmal sentence structure."

As long as their nice about it.......gendanken

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I am about as nice as Gendanken, I just put a prettier wrapping around it.

But go ahead and try to change her.

13. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

sorry dreamwalker, in "abissmal" its y, not i. sorry. :m:

14. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yeah, you are right. Thank you for pointing out my mistake. I will correct it. It also has only one "s".

15. ifi Registered Member

Dreamwalker:
    "program".

cosmictraveler:
    "grammar".

Ancient_Yesterday251:
    "they're"

:-/

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I did that on purpose to show that I really don't think we should have to be exact as long as we get our thoughts across without to many errors in spelling or grammar.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  17. ifi Registered Member

is this where i comment on "to many errors" ?

18. ifi Registered Member

i also think we should cut eachother some slack, but it's frustrating when so many people make the same mistakes. i start wondering whether i'm using the correct grammar/spelling myself.

19. SKULLZ Banned Banned

Corrected (i think)

20. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

uh. we have lots of non-english speakers here, so i agree. at least i understand what they're trying to say. except for rods, but thats a differnt matter. :m:

21. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

This is why Microsoft Word includes a spelling/grammar checker

I don't mean to brag, but I have a fairly strong command of English spelling, grammar, usage, and punctuation. Of course, I'm a native speaker/writer, so it's a small feat . . . Well, relatively small considering my age.

It's actually a habit of mine to write and type correctly, which sometimes gets annoying. I always think I write "too well" for some situations. I always think my advanced command of written English is too "high brow" to let people read. So I intentionally take away some of the correctness from my writing with "ya", "yer", "cuz", "wanna", "dunno", and other stuff when it won't count against me.

I've found that my eye glides over minor mistakes like "grammer" and minor typos like "ta" (vslayer!). But I have some pet peeves. The one I can remember right now is that so many people spell that "m" word - the word I was in love with in my early SciForums days

- wrong.

That's my say.

Off topic . . . YAY!!!!! I JUST POSTED MY 777TH POST!!!!!

22. SKULLZ Banned Banned

I hate it when people appear to not know the difference between
    two,too and to.

23. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

MEE TOO!!!!! We're like siblings!