Entropy is Wrong

markl323

Registered Senior Member
check out this video, he makes a good case. first time i have heard of it and it blows my mind.

[video=youtube;PIa9hjsIQJ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIa9hjsIQJ4[/video]

I think you might be hard pressed to find anyone that is going to agree with this, or even watch the video. The laws of thermodynamics are pretty solid. There isn't much room for conjecture there.

From wiki:
Howard Bloom (born June 25, 1943) is an American author and scientific thinker. He was a publicist in the 1970s and 1980s for singers and bands such as Prince, Billy Joel, and Styx. In 1988 he became disabled with chronic fatigue syndrome. Since then, he has published three books on human evolution and group behavior, The Genius of the Beast, The Global Brain, and The Lucifer Principle.

He is/was a sociologist. He has no credentials or credence in physics.

What the hell, I watched the video. He's an idiot.

He starts by equating entropy with disorder. Then he makes the profound discovery that there are isolated pockets of increasing order in the universe - e.g. the formation of atoms - and he calls that the "big picture".

From wiki:

He is/was a sociologist. He has no credentials or credence in physics.

So what, but does he not have a point from the idea of Big Bang . Did not the subatomic particle become ordered atoms , did not the stars formed organized into galaxy. did not ATP and ribose formed an RNA , or ATP and other pyridine and deoxyribose formed an DNA.

Did not the subatomic particle become ordered atoms , did not the stars formed organized into galaxy. did not ATP and ribose formed an RNA , or ATP and other pyridine and deoxyribose formed an DNA.
That's the little picture. The big picture is the overall entropy of the universe. (And hint: entropy is not about "disorder".)

So what, but does he not have a point from the idea of Big Bang. Did not the subatomic particle become ordered atoms
The other explanation is that particles coalesce randomly. The apparent order is nothing more than the filling of states as allowed by their intrinsic properties and the properties resulting from bringing them together.

did not the stars formed organized into galaxy.
There is not much organization there either. They appear to be randomized internally, with structures that arise from basic principles like gravity.

did not ATP and ribose formed an RNA , or ATP and other pyridine and deoxyribose formed an DNA.
Which is true of any other molecular structure. They appear to be organized, but they are simply the possible configurations that would be expected from the random reactions that brought them together.

The other explanation is that particles coalesce randomly. The apparent order is nothing more than the filling of states as allowed by their intrinsic properties and the properties resulting from bringing them together.

Again, would you say , 2 quarks up and one down fo proton and 2 quarks down and one up for neutron , is this random ? or electrons circulating around neurton and proton is that random ?

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
There is not much organization there either. They appear to be randomized internally, with structures that arise from basic principles like gravity.
I did not want to go much closer I stopped an galaxy. Galaxy are composes of stars and stars are organized by having their orbits were the planets reside . Would you say thet is organized ?
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Which is true of any other molecular structure. They appear to be organized, but they are simply the possible configurations that would be expected from the random reactions that brought them together.

Come one guy give me a brake with your random . Opposite charge attract each other . that is not random .

A universe full of iron and radiation at a uniform temperature might seem to be as ordered as one could get, yet it's practically the most disordered configuration possible :D. Such a state has by far the most possible ways of being achieved of all the different configurations our universe can take. Entropy is the real deal, we're screwed (in a few billion or trillion years).

I wish people wouldn't present themselves as experts in subjects they know little about.
It is schoolboy stuff.

I can think of one thing he'd be good at.
He'd be perfect in a film about a psychopathic dentist.

Last edited:
Back