Evolution: time for some change?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by spuriousmonkey, Oct 6, 2003.

1. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

if I may invoke a caveat; please keep in mind your sources. a 'click' on the Sura 1995 link actually brought us to Kristl Smith's (a business analyst, with no biology background that I can determine from her resume) opinions on this topic, from whom you quote. I am not disregarding her opinions at all. She appears to be well read on the subject, but she is no authority on the subject by any means, and the implication of your reference is an appeal to authority. 'nuff said.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

aaaaaaaaah, well at least your not putting all those replies on one page.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scilosopher Registered Senior Member

paulsamuel,
    Sorry about the link. I actually emailed that link to someone else recently and must have accidently not copied the Rutherford and Lindquist link and then didn't notice I had screwed up when it was an ncbi link ...

I think the immune system is cool, but I've never managed to slug through remembering all the different things and what they do exactly. If I remember correctly MHC genes are involved in antigen presentation. How do receptors that display fragments of broken down proteins play an important evolutionary role? I'd be curious to hear a bit about it.

Spookz,
    My main issue with the turtles thing is that it's not even epigenetic inheritance, it's developmental plasticity. It would be epigenetic if the mother programmed her eggs to be female if she was hot and males if she was cold regardless of their chromosome complement (otherwise it would just be genetic). Developmental plasticity though is equally if not more interesting to me than epigenetic inheritance. Still I'd try doing pubmed searches and getting free articles rather than web searches and getting things of questionable authority.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spookz Banned Banned

i will remedy my carelessness. thanks