exercise makes me cranky, advice...

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by skaught, Feb 9, 2011.

1. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Skaught,

Based on what you have described in your diet above, and you have allowed yourself enough time to build up the nutrients to allow for a normal exercise routine, which it appears you have. Then you need to see a doctor about other causes.

I wish you the best and hope they find the problem/solution soon. Good luck.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

If one is already very anxious, including high heartbeat and such, then exercise can only make it worse.

Or play tennis, for that is also fun, although frustrating a first; whereas exercise alone can be quite boring.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Skaught, if you're feeling nervous you probably have high cortisol levels (a stress hormone - linked to the system previously mentioned). Aerobic exercises like running (or better yet cycling) are a good way to get rid of cortisol - cortisol is most likely what's making you feel irritable.

When you exercise is it aerobic? Depending on what you're doing and for how long, you could end up releasing cortisol during your workout and not breaking it down, which leaves you even more stressed. It's just that I go to gym for 1 hour every weekday and I've seen LOTS of people do "workouts" that involve lots of talking to people at the gym

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh, did you stop smoking yet? You might talk to a doctor about bupropion, but, it's also an anti-depressant so you'll need to be mindful when using it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I just do light cardio. I try to get my heartbeat up to between 60% and 70% of my target heart rate, and maintain it for about 20 minutes. And of course, I do a five minute warm up and about a ten minute warm down.

Still smoking yes. I've tried bupropion before, it has no effect on me for the smoking, and it also gives me seizures. Very small ones, but seizures nonetheless. I have asked my doctor for chantix but he refuses to give it to me because of the risk of suicide.

So yeah, anyway, I think I'll just leave well enough alone for right now and wait until I can see a doctor.

Thanks again everyone!

8. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

If you've got lung problems, try (ask your doctor about) Advair and/or Spiriva.

I take them both and they have a synergistic effect.

These are Rx, so your doctor will have to prescribe.

9. InfoKing Registered Member

Workout anger

I have the same problem. I've concluded that it's neurological more than anything else! I never had this before the chiropractor messed up my neck, and now after a work out I get extremely irritable. I saw you mentioned you have a bad neck and back, so I'd be willing to bet that working out is exacerbating whatever slipped discs/pinched nerves you may have. Have you ever gotten an MRI to accurately diagnose the problems in your cervical spine? If not, I'd recommend doing that.

10. wellwisher Banned Banned

When you begin an exercise program, after a long layoff, your body becomes tired because the body and muscles are in chemical flux. When you are tired you don't feel as good and may even feel like the lazy of depression; anger turned inward. But in my experience, you eventually get past this, as the body begins to adapt to the new stress level, and the chemical flux becomes more efficient.

I don't exercise like I used to. When I do, I can push myself beyond what my body is used to. After I come home, I may need a nap. This routine may last for a few weeks or more, but if I maintain, I get over a hump, such that my body gains vigor and vitality.

It is analogous to the second wind of the runner, where the body first burns the easy fuel. As the second wind approaches the body lights the fire of harder fuel and you get a second wind. Now it is easy and happy.

We live in a lazy dependent culture where self reliance is over taxed. The body feels overtaxed at the beginning until you push through and gain the energy to carry the lazy you to new places.

11. kwhilborn Banned Banned

This is the 28th post and nobody has suggested sports or activities to replace "exercise", although sciwriter mentioned Tennis.

As a teenager I would often be cranky upon awakening, so recognize it as body chemistry that is most likely the culprit. Negative beliefs about exercise could anger you when you feel "forced" to do this chore. Sedentary lifestyles have forced this evil upon us.

There are fun ways to exercise that do not feel like exercise. I am now a very good roller skater as I frequented Roller Rinks for many years. I found the indoor lights and outdated disco music provided a fun and relaxing exercise session. In Canada we have a lot of snow, so the prospect of skating in a T-Shirt a few nights per week in a warm setting is like a summer night.

If you drive park far from the stores, or find area you would like to explore. Have fun.

I also have been addicted to running 5 miles a day, so I know exercise can rub off on people. Feeling healthy is a good feeling.

I have never enjoyed team sports as much, but I have an overweight friend who participated in community events like dodgeball. These events are out there if you know where to look.

A psychiatrist should attempt to find out why you have an attitude towards exercise, but would more likely just speak to you for 5 minutes and prescribe you Prozac. The profession seems like drug pushers these days. I have never been to a psychiatrist, but have friends who say they barely listen before prescribing.

Maybe attempt to realize why you have "issues" with exercise on your own.

Good luck