for the love of god when can the goverment call an election?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Asguard, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Seriously, i have lissioned to the senate all day and all that i could get out of it was Australia needs an election NOW. Wether its a double dissalusion or not we need it now. The senate is incopitant, even FIELDING who is a pudo-liberal member was HIGHLY critical of the oposition. This could be the first time EVER that labor will hold a senate outright and it would be sad to see to be honest. I LIKE having a "hostile senate" but for christ sake. Sentor Evans (i think, im doing this on my own voice recognition) is right, the libs dont have a senate leader (hes there till god knows when but hes already resigned), they dont have a front bench in EITHER house.

I honestly feel sorry for Turnbul, he is one of only 3 people in the current liberal party who is worth voting for. The other 2 are Hockey and Cris Pine. But the Tuckey's, the Abbot's and the Minchen's of the party MUST GO.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I agree, Asguard. The Liberal party needs to move into the 21st century some time soon, or prepare to stay in the political wilderness for a long time.

Off topic, but I can't help but point out the number of spelling and grammatical errors in your post. Don't you have spell check?

Corrected:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. otheadp Banned Banned

lol James, you must have lots of time on your hands if you spellcheck and tag all the misspelled words from other posts

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

why do we need to have a double dissolution ? Isn't there a plausible chance of the ETM bill passing ?

8. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Even leaving aside the ETS, the Liberal party are sufficiently fractured at the moment that it would be advantageous for Labour to call an election.

9. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

But long term wise, calling an election now only risks damaging a potential for a 3 term run.
    Isn't Labour leaving itself open to attacks from both the Governor General and Liberal for being power hungry ?

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I just found out we can bet on politics. Isn't there a conflict of interest there ?
    http://www.smh.com.au/national/hockey-makes-his-move-on-turnbull-20091127-jvgp.html

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

challanger, the oposition are usless. Even if this bill gets past there are many more that are in jepody not because they are bad bills but because the oposition cant control themselves and act AS an oposition. There for the senate needs to be restructured. As for the GG thinking they are power hungry, your joking right? The GG has no power, they are in some merky water if they take deley as "refusal to pass" but either the GG rules in there favor or she doesnt. If she does then we go to a DD election, if she doesnt then in a few months more we go to a regular election. After that the matter is solved and the GG will have no further involvement. Its not like SHE could stop the passage of a bill or the election of a goverment

12. Bells Staff Member

Which is unfortunate.

I will be the first to admit that I am sorely disappointed in the Labour Government at this point in time, so much so that I actually regret voting for them in the first place. And for me to say that is huge, because I am such a strong left supporter.

We need a strong opposition and we need it in the Senate now, to counter the changes the Rudd Goverment is thinking of implementing or reversing.

There is currently talk in the wings of Government of also reversing the child support laws that the Howard Government brought in, which was deemed fairer to both parents, primarily father's, whereby the care a father has of his children is also factored into how child support is to be calculated. The Labour Government is looking to reverse this law at the present time.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

bells you honestly expect better from the LIBS?
    Sure, if the party was seprate from the Nats and if it was full of ONLY people like Hockey, Turnbull and Pine it WOULD be a decent alternitive but not with the nats and not as it now stands

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

well it seems Joe Hockey lacks sense. There is no way its in his best intrests to take the leadership now, either he surports the ETS and there for has the same mess to deal with as Turnbull does or he abandons his own principles and either delays or votes down the bill and we go to a DD election which will be "political suicide" (Turnbull's quote and i agree with him)

*sigh* Maybe its for the best that the libs go down and we can have some new party spring up. I just hope its not family first, pity the democrats dont exist anymore.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

actually i have been thinking for the last few days that if the libs DO disintergrate Turnbull should defect to labor. It would be a win win for both him and the labor party

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I think they've been doing ok in general. I don't think their ETS scheme is strong enough, but anything is better than nothing. The worry I have is all the credits that will be handed out to the big polluters. It looks like Australia will be making the same mistakes as New Zealand.

I'm never really in favour of one party controlling both houses of parliament. It was a disaster for the Howard government, and rightly so. Unfortunately, that's what's likely to happen, although the Greens could be big winners in a double dissolution.

If the Liberal party changes leaders and goes to a climate denial position, they won't be attracting any of the people who defected to Labor at the last election back to the Liberal fold, so I don't know why they think a change of leaders now is a good idea.

I don't know anything about that, so can't comment.

Hockey will be making a mistake if he runs for leader now. He should wait until after the coalition has lost the next election and there's a real mood for change in the Liberal party. As it is, I don't think he really wants the leadership. He's just had another child, and doesn't need even more time away from home.

It won't happen. The Libs will just be in the political wilderness for a couple more terms until they get in touch with reality and lose some of the old blood.

As I understand it the Democrats still exist. They just don't currently hold any seats in Parliament.

It will be interesting to see what happens with FF. If I had to bet, I'd say Fielding will be out at the next election and there'll be no FF members in the next Parliament.

That will never happen. Turnbull is a blue-blood (small L) liberal through and through. Besides, he could come back in future. Howard did it several times before he became PM.

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

That it hasnt happened in a long time doesnt mean it wont ever happen again james. If you look through the list of PMs you see alot of parties which have since cessed to exist. As a matter of fact the Libs themselves dont date back to federation, only the Labor party still exists of the parties which were around BEFORE federation.

As to the democrats yes they technically still exist but after the defection of there last member in the SA state parliment they dont have one single sitting member anywhere. Its highly unlikly that the party can ever come back from that, maybe some of there former members will run as independents or for other paries (I hope Natasha choses to run again at some stage, maybe for labor in a lower house seat because she would make a brillant PM) and maybe some group in the future will use the name again but it wont be the democrats as we know them now

18. Bells Staff Member

The credits will be handed out to big polluters. It astounds me that it was even proposed in its current format to be honest.

I think it is too little too late for the Liberal Party at this point in time.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/shared-parenting-laws-on-way-out/story-e6frg6n6-1225788103468

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,,26227337-421,00.html

The Labor Government was always against the Shared Parenting Laws and now they are using the minority of bad parents to roll it back.

The current system is not perfect, but it is better then what existed prior to this current system. Calculating child support now factors in both parents income and also the care they have of their children. Rolling that back will have a hugely detrimental effect on the greater majority of parents who are striving their best to do the right thing for their children. Ever since the Rudd Government took power, the changes his Government has implemented has been fairly huge (mostly detrimental) on the agency, its staff and most importantly the families who deal with the agency. The greater majority battle the system to do the best they can for their children. The extreme minority are the ones who are attempting to flaunt the system and the law for their own benefit.

Instead of dealing with the minority, they prefer to apply a blanket change that will be detrimental to the greater majority.

Sorry, I am rambling. I have seen first hand what the mere threat of Rudd's changes has done to families and individuals who are doing everything right.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

HA HA you think the libs could do better?

As one person said on the radio the other day (i think he was the finance reporter for the age but im not sure) "at least its once off". They were forced into it from these negotiations but at least once all the money is handed out to them that will be the end of it. Personally i would have prefered them to negotiate with the greens but that was never going to happen because to do a deal with the greens on this would have ment there was no chance of getting it through the senate (they would have falled at least 1 vote short if not 2). Personally i wish they had just waited the 3 months and tried to force it through the way it stood before and take it to an election but whats done is done.

Bells im not 100% pleased with the current goverment either but i know what i want wont come from the other side either. For instance the changes to the marriage act will come from Labor when they come not the libs but i know that there isnt enough surport in the senate to make it even worth while (even if Rudd wanted to) at LEAST until the next election when there is a chance of getting rid of FF for good

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Tony Abbott is new Liberal leader, defeating Turnbull 42 votes to 41 (with 1 informal vote!).

Now, what will happen with the ETS legislation? Will Abbott be able to control his Senators?

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

james they also had a vote on that 55 to 20 something to vote down the bill. Here comes the election for which im glad

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Nice cartoon.