force of an electric feild on a charge problem

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by On Radioactive Waves, Apr 23, 2003.

1. On Radioactive Waves lost in the continuum Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The problem:

A line of positive charge is formed into a semicircle of radius R=60.0 cm. The charge per unit length along the semicircle is described by the expression <font face="symbol">l</font>= <font face="symbol">l</font><sub>0</sub> cos <font face="symbol">q</font>. The total charge on the semicircle is 12.0 microcoulombs. Calculate the total force on a charge 3.00 microcoulombs at the center of curvature.

The figure shows the semicircle with is center at the origin going from 0 to pi. is the angle formed by dragging R clockwise from the positive y axis.

the answer in the book is -0.707N<b>j</b> and I got -0.526N. Can someone please help me figure out how to properly go about solving this problem?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Myq Registered Member

First, DRAW A PICTURE! Then, using symmetry and a little calculus, you can easily solve this problem:

First, note that charge density is symmetric w.r.t. the left and right halves of the semicircle; this allows you to neglect any force in the X-direction because for every little charge element, dq, on the right half, there is an equivalent one on the upper half. (This explains the J unit vector).

Now, just focus on the force in the y-direction that is contributed by each little "piece" of charge that make up the hoop. The charge of each "piece" is equal to dq=(radius)x(dTheta)x((lambda)xCos(theta)). The force in the negative Y direction for each of these "pieces" is the constant, k, (or one over four*pi*epsilon naught) times (dq*Q/r^2)xCos(theta), where Q is the charge in the center. From here, you just need to integrate the force from pi/2 to negative pi/2.

You will also probably have to explain the symmetry arguments to get full credit; you could just do an integral for the X-force, but it would be zero. Therefore, just do a little explaining and save yourself the trouble. If you still get the wrong answer, book might be wrong... I didn't check your results.

Good luck

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lethe Registered Senior Member

repost from pf

consider the electric field at the center of the semicircle due to a little piece of the semicircle at angle &theta;. by symmetry, only the vertical component of this field contributes:

dE<sub>y</sub> = - 1/4&pi;&epsilon;<sub>0</sub> cos &theta; dq/r<sup>2</sup> = - 1/4&pi;&epsilon;<sub>0</sub> cos &theta; &lambda;rd&theta;/r<sup>2</sup> = - 1/4&pi;&epsilon;<sub>0</sub> cos<sup>2</sup> &theta;&lambda;<sub>0</sub>d&theta;/r

then integrate from &pi;/2 to -&pi/2:

E<sub>y</sub> = -&lambda;<sub>0</sub>/4&pi;&epsilon;<sub>0</sub>r&int;cos<sup>2</sup> &theta; d&theta; = -&lambda;<sub>0</sub>/8&epsilon;<sub>0</sub>r

the force on the charge is the F<sub>y</sub> = qE<sub>y</sub>

we also need to solve for &lambda;<sub>0</sub>.

Q = &int;dq = &int;&lambda;<sub>0</sub>rcos &theta; d&theta; = 2r&lambda;<sub>0</sub>

&lambda;<sub>0</sub> = Q/2r

finally
    F<sub>y</sub> = -qQ/16&epsilon;<sub>0</sub>r<sup>2</sup>

plug in the numbers and you get -0.70588 N.

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Aw man.
    Lethe beat me to it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Someday I will be able to do that.
    Right now I am on Chapter 2 of Pre-Calc.
    I have AT LEAST a few more chapters to go to catch up to him.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. On Radioactive Waves lost in the continuum Registered Senior Member

thankyou very much y'all!

I knew i could count on you lethe