Gas prices?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Jerrek, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

Shit man, that is wickedly expensive... £3.10 per gallon, or $4.88 a gallon.

I think I know where you made your mistake. A gallon is 3.79 liters.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I didn't find out what it was in gallons in the first place, I got it in gallons. Site must have made a mistake, oh well.

Yeah, we pay like double the people in the states. It's totally unfair and unnessecary

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

Triple actually. I wonder where all those tax dollars go to. Perhaps public transportation?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Not over here, I believe the bus services here are privatised and so are the trains.

I would guess that it either lines the pockets of our leaders or goes straight into the treasury

8. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

Roads perhaps? Although I didn't notice anything special about your roads last time I was there apart form the fact that you guys love roundabouts. Heh.

9. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Actually that's a very good point. Each council here is given an aloocated amount of funds to spend on the roads and they have to use it so they dig up whatever. I believe my local council gets around £1 - 1.5 million a year for roads. Roadworks are a common occurance

10. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

in Atlanta gas runs as low as $1.35 per gallon. I remember when it was as low as $.75 a gallon, back in '96.

i just spent a couple of days in california and it was well over $2 per gallon there.

11. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

i dont drive, so it doesnt affec me directly

low grade stuff is 1.76$USD 9/10 of a gallon (yes that's how its sold), 1.90$USD for the premium

southeastern Pennsylvania, USA. Outside the city of Philadelphia

12. Tallguy That's the way it is... Registered Senior Member

Thor, $5/gallon!?? Do you guys have SUV's over in the UK? I will no longer complain of our cheap American gas prices.

13. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

you have to remember, some countries, not every family has two cars, and not everyone drives an SUV to work, with just themselves in the car, like we do in the USA. In holland for example, most people walk or blade or bike, and for long trips, train. So, naturally, their gasoline/petrol prices are way higher.

14. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

One reason for high prices is taxes. Everything in the UK is so much more expensive than anywhere else. And I believe that the average US income is actually higher than the average UK income per annum :bugeye:

We've got the raw deal over here people

15. storni topological frog Registered Senior Member

11 nuevos soles per gallon of premium gas in Peru...
    that´s around $3.5 but the price is rising like $0.01 these last days...
    which is scary as that might be the comeback of an exponential inflation

16. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The last time I bought gas for under 20¢ a gallon was in 1976. I can remember it being 10¢ a gallon.

17. Tallguy That's the way it is... Registered Senior Member

Sounds like the gas prices haven't really changed, just the taxes on them. I'm sure tax on gas was not near as popular in 1976. Last year, when I bought gas for $.99/gallon , it was actually $.19 with $.80 tax. Still under 20 cents.....

18. orbie Registered Senior Member

$1.60=low - pueblo, colorado
    $2.05=high - vail, colorado

Both for 87 octane rating.

Just a little extra info for gas prices. Today in one of my petroleum classes (I'm majoring in Petroleum engineering) we looked at a graph of gas prices (true and adjusted for inflation). The average price for today (roughly) is $1.75, in 1950 gas prices were somewhere around $2.05 or more. Gas is actually cheaper now and it's at one of the cheapest levels it has ever been, except for the last 5 years or so. This info is only for the US.