Gendanken's Banning

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by invert_nexus, Aug 20, 2004.

?

Should Gendanken be unbanned?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2004.
  1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Arguing whether G's 'FUCK YOU ALL' statement is against the rules is pointless. The rules were clearly set up with debating as the context and with normal people in mind. From my POV, no one here has any real problem with the casual use of profanity and G is just one of those people who's obviously used to that.

Personal assaults, on the other hand, show perhaps more than the poster had originally intended. After all, what is the goal of composing text just to upset or humiliate? If someone cares so much about the forum social structure then they're here for the wrong reasons.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Likely it is pointless as nothing will be done other than my pissing in the wind for a bit. But, so be it. I smell the fart inherent in the act and I will continue to decry the act until this thread dies. I don't give a crap if people like Dr. Lou think I'm just kissing Gendanken's ass. Or if people like our lady WCF attempt to use her latest "intelligentsia" words and methods from Ladies Home Journal to attempt to make me look foolish. So far, no one has been able to dispute the basic tenets of my argument. Because they cannot. There is the smell of shit in the air and I'm not too proud to get some on me while rubbing the perpetrator's nose in it. House training is essential in any environment. Even when the lesson most likely falls on deaf ears, the effort must be made.

Elaborate. Who are you talking about here? Sounds somewhat reminiscent of an argument attempted by the Fetus. She tried so desperately to say that "fuck you all" had nothing to do with the scenario that she argued my point in the end. Before she gave up in disgust with herself, that is.

Another enigmatic statement. Please be clear.

I don't aim to be entertaining but it most likely is entertaining watch certain people eat shit. And, I post only as long as the thread remains alive. 10 pages so far. And very few that disagree with me.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Hmm. The first statement in my above post is not the whole truth. I would like to hammer out the rules on these things. To point out what is legitimate and what is not. To give us some guidelines to follow rather than "Be a good boy. You can be a bad boy but maybe we'll get mad and get rid of you some day. If we feel like it." That's how the present application of the rules feels like.

Even though I don't imagine that this will be accomplished, I feel I must try. I have to cry foul or I couldn't live with myself.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

I don't think I'm regurgitating any of WCF's arguments, or at least intentionally. Why would you kiss Gdrkn's arse, from their POV BTW? I certainly do not know enough about GoofyFish to comment on your arguments (although I had spent a few minutes looking over the relevent threads, which I didn't care for when active). Anyway, I'll elaborate. I'm refering to motivations of members. I, and perhaps you, came here just to chat about computers and technology, and then to debate on issues I found interesting. What's the point in personally assaulting someone? Better yourself by lowering others? To let some anger out? This really points out the gravity of forum life for some people.

When it gets to this stage, rules made for casual discussion/debating seem obsolete. As a general question: how hard can it be just to have a few mature people moderating the obvious offences? Having a complicated rule book is just asking for 'legal battles'.

I usually skip massive single-post rants: When I get into long drawn-out debates with idiots (not necessarily on this site) where neither side will give up, the post sizes usually grow exponentially as they quote and counter-quote each other senseless. The content is usually boring and I secretly either concede or celebrate, then leave.

This one's a bit more entertaining, as the posters are less immature and a lot sharper. Plus there's a be quite a bit of story to this one. An online soap-opera.
    Edit: I can understand that analogy might offend some people who live here but to someone who's virtually just opened this thread and then cross referenced it, it's not unreasonable.

Please don't answer too argumentatively, I'm only discussing.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Ahh. No. That's not what I meant. I meant rather that perhaps you were talking about Fetus. Talking about the comedy of her attempts to write her posts merely in an attempt to humiliate and defeat me. And yet she walked right into what I had been saying all along. A blindness caused by her thought that she understood the topic because she had read the title. I tried to tell her over and over again what the topic really was, but she still refused to hear and just kept saying that my argument was not relevant to "Gendanken's Banning." Even when I told her that that was not the whole topic she still just tried to prove that it was.

And then the way she studied her logic metaphors so as to sound as though she were an old hand in this sort of thing. So superior to all of us morons who know nothing of such high and mighty things as ad hominem. It is for this that she has shown herself to be the goddess of wisdom and an overflowing fount of knowledge. (I wonder if I were to search her recent posts if I could determine the exact day that she read up on the subject? I've already spotted a "slippery slope" in another thread. Give a girl an intelligent sounding phrase and the goddess is made.)

And then also there is her constant deliberate gender misidentification of Gendanken. She knows damn well that Gendanken is a woman yet she called her him merely to insult. All the while arguing that insults are wrong.

I found it entertaining anyway. Don't know about you.

The problem is, of course, that I don't come here for entertainment. There's many better places for entertainment than Sciforums. I come here for intelligent and mature conversation. To learn new things and to share my ideas with others of like and not-so-like mind. It is this idea that this place is a parlour of entertainment that might very well be behind this whole situation. For while blood-sport is entertaining as a recent thread I took part in proved, the powers that be (the so-called civilized ones) don't like to admit this blood-thirstiness in their nature. Therefore, they attempt to eradicate anything that even resembles bloodsport.

A nice quiet afternoon day at the park. That seems to be the object of this desire. Just a peaceful day at the park. Let the kiddies play on the grass but no horseplay. And watch the language.

What better game to play at the park than Pokemon?

Too, with the entertainment crowd, what is more entertaining than to jump into a thread and spout hilarious one-liners? How witty and charming? Surely all would love such witty jesters? How many threads have been ruined by these entertainers? How many insults have been hurled to send these jesters on their way? I'm not saying that you are one of these, but this is the entertainment mentality. Bored kids looking for a way to pass the time. What better than pokemon?

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I see invert_nexus is still getting upset about perceived injustices here. I hope this post helps clarify things a bit more.

Arditezza made a few good points a little earlier in the thread which I think deserve a response. Here are the relevant points:

and

I have emphasized the important sentence here.

So, are there different rules for moderators? Answer: In practice, yes, there are.

Moderators are either appointed by Porfiry or elected by the members of sciforums. One would hope that Porfiry has good judgment when he appoints a moderator. And where there is a vote, one would hope that the posters on sciforums will (a) generate a bunch of good candidates for a position, and (b) vote for the candidate who will do the best job. Obviously, in the case of a vote, you get the moderators you deserve. You nominate; you vote.

Now, once a moderator is in place, what standard of behaviour is he or she held to? Answer: he or she is expected to act consistently with the site rules. If he or she does not do so, then he or she is a hypocrite and probably not worthy of the position. After all, how can you simultanously force other posters to abide by a rule while at the same time flouting it yourself?

The other question raised here is: should the moderators police each other? My answer: regarding moderation decisions and actions, no, they should not. If a moderator makes a decision, no other moderator is above him or her, and the decision should be allowed to stand. If there is any exception to this rule at all, it is that Porfiry always has the final say on what goes on his forum. Moreover, an argument can be made for the supermoderators keeping an eye on the overall forum integrity, since their responsibilities range over the entire site, as opposed to single subforums.

What about moderators posting in forums which they do not moderate? In that case, I think they should abide by the rules set by the moderator of the forum they are posting in. Clear breaches of those rules can be policed by that forum's moderator if necessary, though maintaining a good relationship between moderators may mean cutting them some slack or perhaps sending an explanatory PM.

Finally, should moderators ever be banned? Well, maybe for severe breaches of forum rules, or acting hypocritically? But if moderators don't police each other, whose decision is this?

Answer: It is your decision - you, the posters. That is why the Open Government forum exists. Porfiry specifically says in the thread about Open Government that one of the purposes of that forum is to appoint and remove moderators. So, if you think a moderator has so overstepped his or her authority that he or she should be removed from the position or banned from sciforums, don't whinge about it - do something. Start a poll in the Open Government, setting out your case and asking for the removal or banning of the moderator. Provided you get enough votes, and the vote is in the majority, it will be done.

But be careful! I have seen a lot of threads calling for moderators to be removed from their positions, and most of them have been on shaky grounds, or for frivolous reasons. And most of those votes have failed. And mostly, you'll only get one shot at this, because if you start a frivolous Ban thread and it doesn't go through, then further threads of that kind started by you will probably not be taken seriously.
    --------

Regarding the subject of this thread, the question you, as posters, must ask yourselves is:

Were goofyfish's actions in temporarily banning gendanken so unjustified and hypocritical that he should be removed as a moderator, taking his past record and other factors into account? If you feel strongly that this is the case, start a poll in Open Government and see how you go. If not, let it go, and move on.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

My point to this is simple, Gendanken only suffered a Temporary ban, To which alot of you have been suggesting injustice, however it "Could" have been a full ban which was not instated.

So to blow the temporary ban out of preportion is ludicrous, what would have you done if it had been a permanent one?

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

There would probably have been a mass suicide all over the world by means of publicly burning themselves in front of al the major newsmedia.

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

James, I get your point. However, there is hardly enough evidence for a real impeachment poll. For such a thing, the evidence would need to be extremely damning. Fetus admitted to having someone harrass Paul Samuel at his job and she wasn't removed from office.

I think the course of action of this thread was just to implore the moderators to look deep and hard at themselves and their actions and biases. I don't know if it was successful in the least, but it certainly was something.

Stryder, yes. It was only a 7-day temp ban. But, it was her first ban. And apparently her last. It was her ONLY ban she'll ever get. Or at least that's what the Fish had to say about it. I bet he's changed his tune somewhat. But who knows. I can only hope that this thread has done some good.

Spurious, No, I think the punishment of this place degenerating into a bunch of pokemon jabbering 6 year olds would be punishment enough. But, if any public action would be necessary it would be mass-murder not mass-suicide. Gendanken would be ashamed of anything less.

Maybe a few weeks of DOSing or something. But I doubt even that. Probably just let you enjoy the insult free inanity that would follow.

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Ressurection. The stone has been rolled from before the entrance of the tomb. The light is so bright outside.

Why even bother posting? You're only going to delete this later aren't you? Well, you can't delete my quote of your drivel. It's set in stone and shall never be erased... unless some moderator should feel the urge. Although I see no reason for that.

I'm actually somewhat surprised that you didn't pick a quote by me and call me a woman and threaten me with some sort of physical violence. You know, gender misidentification is the latest rage. And a perfectly legitimate form of insulting.

I wonder how long before you come back to delete?

14. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Nexus, you're loosing it!

Just take no notice of time wasters.

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

What you mean loosing it? Loosing the fury of hell on a world that's not ready for it?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Heh. I knew it would be deleted. It may not have been deleted by him however. He has been temp banned for it (and the 8 or so other almost identical messages he scattered about), only because he has pm's and email turned off so the mods couldn't warn him.

Anyway, this thread has run it's course. I can't resist being the final word in this thread because it was my baby the whole way, but all that was needed to be said has been said I believe. And none were able to dispute the basic arguments.

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Actually we did dispute it, you just would not accept reasoning.

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

No, you didn't dispute it. You just kept saying that I can't defend Gendanken's insulting behavior by using others insulting behavior. And that was not my case. My case was that she was not being insulting. She was being vulgar. She was not warned against being vulgar, she was warned against being insulting. You also claim that it's likely that Goofy banned her because she posted his PM's (not a rules violation) and the fact that she wasn't taking the whole thing lying down (also not a rules violation). You failed to show even a single instance of her insulting a member in the picture thread in site feedback.

You also failed to account for the discrepancy of a 7 day only chance banning for her first ban while others have had multiple chances beginning with a three day ban.

The only point you did make was that the insults of others had little to do with Gendanken's Banning. However, as I pointed out to you on multiple occasions, this thread was/is about more than Gendanken's banning. It's about the circumstances surrounding her banning. It's about the nature of the rules and the supposed rules violations.

You just kept closing your eyes and shouting "This has nothing to do with Gendanken's Banning! Lalalalalalalalalalala!" Not a very convincing argument.

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Really when did I say that? Perhaps your discibing it wrong.

because I figure that was too obvious. Asguard had to even complain to us other moderators about how Gendanken comments about Asguard anorxic girlfriend cause her to relapse into her eating disorder. Gendanken calling a anoxic girl fat (let alone vugarly calling her fat) that was low, very low, and if you don’t think that is insulting or wrong then you lack any sense of empathy.

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Ad Hominem Tu Quoque ring any bells? Or accusations of deliberate gender misidentification? Teats of wisdom? Seriously, guy, what are you trying to do? Lalalalalala doesn't work, you know.

Wrong picture thread. That's why I said "the picture thread in site feedback. It was in there that the fateful "fuck you all" was uttered. There were no direct insults in that thread. Although there were a few indirect ones. But, indirect insults are perfectly allowable.

The insults to Bunny, or rather to Asguard himself, were given warnings. And then the pic thread was closed down. The rest of the fun took place in the pic thread posted by Anu (one of his sock puppets anyways) as a response to the closing of the pic thread.

Cmon. Are you telling me that after all this "debating" by you that you still don't even know what's going on? No wonder you're so confused. Try reading my words on occasion. And following the links. Oh wait... you do know what I'm talking about because you did peruse the thread. You searched it for insults and then came up with the possibility that she was banned for (and I quote): "I don't think this is about Gendanken last insult, if you were better at understand the psychology of others invert_nexus you would have seen this: Gendanken was warned in pm about the stopping his insulting behavior, instead of changing his ways he publicly post goofyfishes PM (a illegal act by goofyfish’s book) and then taunts him."

Look. I've said already that I don't agree with the things she said to Bunny (even though Bunny is spineless to allow such things to get to her, that's besides the point). If she had been banned for saying those things then my only argument would have been the severity of the ban while others have gotten away with lesser punishments. But, she wasn't banned for that. She was warned. And after her warning she was being quite politic in the pic thread (in site feedback). However, as you say, she posted Goofy's PM's which didn't show him in the best light. And she taunted him. However, she did so in an indirect manner.

That's why this thread became about the nature of the rules and the nature of insults that are allowed are not allowed. You just refuesed to see as you still refuse to see. I swear, man, you must have ostrich plumes.

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I think the teats of wisdom was your take on it, a sign of hwo you interpret things.

I think I went over how fuck you all had nothing to do with it.

Look invert_nexus your never going to beleive me or understand me that fine, you can beleive what ever you want about me.

I sorry but this is a matter of belief you may believe that Gendanken behavior in all the situations that you think s/he was bannished for was not worth bannishing but thats simply a diffrence of opinion, goofyfish thought it worthy. I explained to you before the goofyfish had what ever reason he wanted to bannish Gendanken. the fact is and I'm repeating my self the supermods and admin can bannish for what ever reason they want and no amount of complain will change that.

21. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Teats of wisdom was just my rubbing your nose in your deliberate disparagement of a forum member in a manner that you (and apparently the other mods) find agreeable. You were told several times that Gendanken is a woman and still you call her he. So, you shall forever be woman in my eyes. And in all those I can convince of it. Kunax is in my corner in this. And inamorata thinks your an immature girl. I will make sure to get to every new forum member and personally introduce you to them in order to spread the teats of wisdom.

You are either talking about how you think that the real crime was in quoting Goofy's Pm and in taunting him in a political manner. Neither of which are against the rules and neither are offenses she was warned about.

Either that or you are referring to the point where you brought up the rule on using insulting language in a descriptive manner. Which doesn't pertain to her statement althought you say it does anyway just because... By the way, you never answered the question... Why is a raven like a writing desk?

Believe you about what? That you weren't deliberately insulting Gendanken through gender misidentification? That you really believe in your no insult policy...? (We just had a recent proof of your noncompliance with this rule. And after all your heartfelt statements on insults being wrong...) That you believe you won this argument in some strange manner?

What do you think I should believe?

I understand your points, I just don't feel they are applicable to the grand scale of what this thread is about.

Yes. You're absolutely right on this. But that doesn't change the unfairness and hypocrisy of the action. They can do what they want and I can cry foul. I realize that I can't force their hand. I just want them to consider their actions a bit more carefully. That's all.

And, remember, for some strange reason her ban was lifted early. Another arbitrary action with no explanation. So, it's quite possible that my little thread did have an effect. Who knows? With the silence from the Fish's corner it's hard to say what his reasons were. And that's likely the way he likes it. Let them wonder, I imagine is his thought. And, that too is his perogative.

Look. James has said what true recourse I and others have if we feel Goofy is unfit. We can start an impeach Goofyfish poll. I've already stated that I don't feel the evidence is strong enough or the charge heinous enough for such to work. So what? This thread is my way of pissing in the wind. And I'll keep pissing in the wind until no one replies. That's my truth of the situation. (Either that or it's closed.) I started this thread and I'll damn well finish it. I know I'm right and not a single argument has been brought forth that truly negates the unfairness of my main arguments.

22. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

Haha. So this is the standard of the forum now? Complaining to a mod because someone calls your girlfriend fat?

23. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Sadly, yes. I don't agree with Gendanken's behaviour, but it certainly wasn't that bad.

Anyway, she actually didn't call her fat, she just said that she looked like Lance Bass of NSync. Then, Asguard took offense and it sort of snowballed from there.

The point was raised elsewhere that asked whether someone attacking back from a received insult should be protected under the rules. Asguard and Bunny didn't do an effective job of striking back, but they did try. It wasn't until after they proved how ineffective they both were with thread combat that they called on the mods to intervene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.