give up control of sciforums?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by cato, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Rick Valued Senior Member

Cris,
    its not a question of that, it is simply this: you and i have spent some times in this forum, (you are older member of this forum than i am perhaps) but we have had great moments of intelligent discussions together. There were times when i didnt have many friends,and sciforums was the place i used to hang out with. It has some sentimental value for all of us. Especially the members who have been here for a long time. I have spent like four or more years in this forum,i have grown from an 18 yr old teenager to 22 yr old adult( is it?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) while remaining attached to this forum. Perhaps you understand the value of these forums to me.

While now in NYC life gets a little busy with doing summer jobs here and there, (watching those HOTTEST Girls pass by

) but still sciforums is the same; and should always be the same. I am waiting to complete my masters, on my first salary i"ll donate 10% of it sciforums, perhaps in NY or in San diego CA.

thanks for your time
    Rick

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Zion,

Yes good points but then I'm 52 and have learnt through life that things change. Trying to hold onto things that were once good tends to create stagnation. Communities grow and decline.

But I will admit that sciforums has changed my life and for that experience I will be eternally grateful. But I will not be sentimental because of something that was - I will move on or stay as incentives become apparent. This is the survival instinct, the ability to adapt quickly to changing circumstances - it is an attitude that governs many of my actions.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rick Valued Senior Member

Cris,

You are 30 yrs older than i am, you have seen more of life than i have, so i wont say much; although the argument is : trying to hold on to things that were once good tends to stagnation; Arent we only trying to keep the thing good by donation etc, that was once good; and we all know that this is a discussion forum : meaning, it is a priori that you should know things to discuss them out, so letting the intelligent discussions continue can in now way lead to stagnation.

thank you.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Zion,

It is a fine line between helping something that is struggling to survive and grow and letting go of something that is dying. Many do not recognize the difference. It is often like swimming against the tide and making no progress when you can simply reverse direction and make giant leaps forward.

In this case many of us found other forums with new blood and ideas and oportunities to argue different things - or in my case re-hash old arguments that were new to the new site.

I am extremly pleased that Dave does indeed want to help us because without that drive we were doomed as a site.

8. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

i love these forums, i amy not be the best typer, or the smartest indavudial, and i ahve only been here a coupel of monthes, but sci forums is by far the greatest forusm i ahve ever been to, and with the 2$ a month hting,
    i am 14 , no income and parents who wil lnot pay for anyhting thats a monthly fee ( cept internet and stuff) but i like the idea of a donation hting ( witch i belive i ahve seen?)
    i lvoe sci forums,
    and it has beocme my home on the internet,
    if this does shut down, ti was ap alesure lsitning and learning iwth all fo you

9. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

I run two forums and soon realised that it is imposssible to do it by yourself, you need at least 3 Admin, spread across the planet to service all time zones.

You need Mods who can come in at least once a day to check out the threads of their responsibility and, if need be, remove offending items.

You need responsible members who do not cry to mommy when they get an adminstrative rap on the knuckles for an indiscretion. You need Admin & Mods who are not afraid to wield the electronic knife when necessary.

You need strength, morality, rules and it belongs to one person, otherwise anarchy rules.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Luckily I run a forum in Latvian language, so that is one issue to deal with less, i.e., it's more regional.

11. Lucas Registered Senior Member

I'm a moderator in another forum in which there are 3 administrators. And there's also an assistent of administrator, to cover any possible absence

12. Anomalous Banned Banned

If You wana Pay SciForums then Put your Ads in it, Tons of them

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Then people will just bother to remove them with some application. Nobody likes tons of adverts.

14. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

True, and I can only advertise if I have something to sell. come to think of it:

I am having a book published soon

15. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

Oh, let this place be a liberal democracy. The vote should decide. It'll close within two weeks, and you'll all learn a valuable lesson.

lololololololol

16. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

adriod i odtn udnerstand hwat your tlaknig about

17. dmcm01 Guest

" adriod i odtn udnerstand hwat your tlaknig about"
    lmao

18. Anomalous Banned Banned

How about a SciForum Cooperative Society

19. Pi-Sudoku Slightly extreme Registered Senior Member

I am in the same situation, i would hate to see sciforums go down however i have no idea of the running costs, i see some advert links have come in, i hope they are generating some cash