Goodbye?

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by PhysBang, Nov 12, 2016.

1. ajanta Registered Senior Member

I remember brucep like that I don't wanna explain but he fairly received and didn't encourage me when I was new in this forum.

Sometimes cranks are most dangerous. I was in jail for 4 months without fault by a crank of my family. He(crank) didn't think about my mental condition and next... what will be. They(cranks) creat problem not only in discussion but in activities too.. and love their reputation than truth. Many times I attacked physically and mentally by cranks.

Sorry brucep !! Cranks are all around us that I feel. Sometimes I didn't stand beside a helpless poor person cause of cranks and trolls because those idiots will hurt the helpless more... than before and make me also a ***** puppet.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. birch Valued Senior Member

Oh how sad. Oh woe is me. Oh my god.

Threads like these are ridiculous.

There are several reasons. Do people get upset when they go to a drugstore pharmacy there may be a clothing store, restaurant or grocer etc in the same shopping center? No. You dont go in to the restaurant next door and cry you cant fill your pharmacy prescription because the whole plaza isnt exactly and perfectly just how you want it.

This forum's main core is all dedicated to science. There may be some cranks who try their ideas in the science section but you have an ignore function or one can choose not to reply. Besides, you have moderators like security guards. What i find peculiar is the more you engage a 'crank', the more you are encouraging. Is this to have more reason to complain?

I think its because they are enjoying the discussion more times than not as its an exercise in some aspect. There is nothing wrong with that either because cranks often present ideas in a way different from the known/accepted and even if incorrect on all or some, it contributes its own value in flexing mentally which may have positive benefit later or to solve, look at or consider other issues etc.

It also adds a bit of a tangent from the usual banal 'lets pat eachother on the back to repeat to eachother what we already know' which i find equally strange, fruitless and dull.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

My bold.
    I Stopped reading your post just there. Didn't stop you writing the longest post so far in this thread did it, you sure are gabby in your posts. Excuse me why I carry on the thread. Oh woe is me, where is Bruce P.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. birch Valued Senior Member

Strange you took the time to reply at all. Go on with your laments as we all have them, don't we?

Its amusing in its own way. You are a great contributor with your usual one to two liners but crying over a member like a pathetic forlorn lover. Maybe some members should stalk or beg them so you wont be totally lost, devastated amd your virtual world torn asunder. Lmao

8. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

WTF is your problem?

Ophiolite and paddoboy like this.
  9. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

Your getting better, their getting shorter.

paddoboy likes this.
  10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

For a reasonable list of the memebrs who whinge, cry, play victim etc etc, you would be best to go to the "Site Feedback" or the "SF Open Government" sections: We have heaps of them! [including yourself]

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

And yet not so ridiculous that you just scroll past it instead of stopping to read it.

Hypocrite much?

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Maybe just take a break? I think sometimes that is really helpful when you're finding yourself getting upset as a member of a forum.

13. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Yet he still seems to be receiving "likes", even when he hasn't posted anything. I'm not taking him off of my 'ignore' list. Let me see if I need to do that to see where his 'likes' are coming from.

ajanta and Q-reeus like this.
  14. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I don't have anyone on ignore -- ignoring peoples posts just comes naturally.

danshawen likes this.
  15. danshawen Valued Senior Member

I was ignoring paddoboy for a while and regretted it. Others on that list, not so much.

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Moderators don't have sufficient tracking tools to answer that without checking individual posts and, well, in truth I've never tried to see the list of likes for a highly-liked post.

To the other, one need not be posting anything to get likes. Anyone with a membership can like a post.

Furthermore, there are circles of trolls who wander around the net, recognizing their ilk, and filing likes for the sake of search optimization. Like grabbing a random post and it turns out the one like is from an "egalitarian" whose scant posting history also happens to be white supremacist. It's not so much that I'm surprised to find this stuff, but, rather, those are the people Sciforums has been quietly trying to appeal to over the years with our combination of pretending an overriding respect for the scientific method and furious protection of fake news, supremacism, and intellectual dishonesty.

(No, really, for years the moderators fought and fit among themselves about how to make a "science site", or an "overriding respect for the scientific method", two phrases I am sick to death of. The problem turned out to be that was always just a poor excuse, because the overriding respect was for irrational discussion accommodating what, say, Americans would recognize as the right wing or alt-right. One need not be a proverbial Russian troll in order to advance sympathy for supremacism. So over the years that's been going on, here, of course there are just a bunch of antisocial people rolling through here giving each other likes; for over a decade the unstated purpose of Sciforums has been to encourage supremacism, superstition, and irrationality.)

17. exchemist Valued Senior Member

You can post likes for anything you read, however old, I think. So a long-gone member can get likes for stuff he wrote a year ago if someone is reading the whole thread for the first time and comes across something they like.

danshawen likes this.
  18. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Does that mean that likes are picked up by search engines, then? I'm not sure I understand how that would work.

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Fight supremacism: Click for Japanese prettyboys.

Depends on a given website and how it's set up. For instance, there is no "most read" or "most popular" or "most e-mailed" post lists in the Sciforums sidebar, but this isn't for any lack of data; the system already knows; the CSS isn't marked to show any such widgets.

Google might not pay attention to Facebook recommendations, but they're certainly interested in G+ hits. And any site like this can set statistical priorities. One of the interesting things about SEO is that it seems almost pointless in the larger search engines because there is so much competing optimization. However, consider those folks we all know who like to just send YouTube videos. It's not just that they're incapable of speaking for themselves; they're also trying to optimize YouTube and therefore Google.

When you watch those videos, watch them in a private browsing window, without logging into YouTube. I watched one, and had to clear my user history multiple times before I could, say, crank up a bunch of Japanese prettyboys↱ and not have my sidebar flooded with white male supremacism.

The object is to normalize, so that when you go looking for information you are also offered, as a routine matter of course, alternate versions. Like, you know, if you need to know about state testing results for the school districts in the area because you're a parent looking to buy a home, maybe what you're really asking for is a YouTube video about phrenology and the expert consensus about the evolutionary inferiority of Africans.

That's the whole point. Well, okay, that and the little thrill in the pants they get out of thinking themselves worth enough to treat people poorly.

We would need to know each website and each search and ranking system before we know how either raw or curated data affect, say, Google returns.

exchemist likes this.
  20. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Check brucep's posts. There aren't any, even though somehow there are 10 pages still reserved for where they once appeared. I smell a scam.

21. Confused2 Registered Senior Member

I encountered Brucep some years before I encountered him again on this site. In the past he has given me unselfish help and time to assist me to understand special relativity. With his help (and that of many others) I have reached a point where I can make no further progress in the light of my intellectual capacity and the time I have available to make further progress. Since joining this forum I did feel Brucep was becoming increasingly bitter about some (many) things. Things and people - perhaps (indeed probably) myself included. If either Brucep or the moderators have chosen to remove any of his posts for any reason whatsoever I have every confidence they have done so with the best of intentions and with great integrity. If you look at every post the moderators have made either as contributors or as moderators and you sense any lack of integrity then you aren't reading the same posts I'm reading.

danshawen likes this.
  22. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Good thing you didn't get into a discussion of mainstream cosmology with him. Paddoboy would chime in, and whenever that happened, it was usually bad news. The thread would quickly degenerate into nothing but ad hominem attacks against anyone perceived as out of the mainstream.

Be that as it may, it was either paddoboy or perhaps brucep also helped clear up some questions I had about the CMBR baryon oscillation. That was good.

I did once or twice sense that brucep was not always the same person posting all of the time; like he gave up the discussion to his 15 year old or something.

It is just peculiar that he is no longer posting in these parts and is still getting likes registered here. Could be from another part of Xenfora, I suppose. I don't care.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  23. Thomas Cranmer Registered Member

It would make the place nicer if cursing was banned and subjects treated seriously. Respect not insult. Present reasoned arguments and facts to make good contributions.