Gravity : Force or no Force

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by The God, May 28, 2016.

1. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Considering the posts after yours, it might be a good place to split the topic?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Here is a way to show, not rigorously, that gravity is actually pressure.

You show that a mass density is an energy density (gravitational energy, that is), you have units of energy per unit volume. But that's equivalent to units of force x distance per units of area x distance, after cancelling you have force per unit of area which is pressure.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The God Valued Senior Member

Not even a single poster attempted to take up the force aspect raised in the OP. How do you address OP exmples if Gravity is not a force ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Take it up how? Your OP asked no questions and doesn't seem to have a point that I can discern. My response to the OP is similar to origin's: so what? What is the point?

8. The God Valued Senior Member

The point is that Origin's response was not on OP as such. And you could not discern that too..

9. trevor borocz johnson Registered Senior Member

• Please don't post nonsense on the science subforums.
    The force of gravity is inherent like when or 'if' a Panda was to hit another Panda with some object, say a holding chair or 'folding' chair, this would be the appropriate time to yell to your friend or mother " Hey! look at them gravitino's josslin' around like shaking a bug out of your pants. Pants is the key here.

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Par for the course!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

I'll be more direct: What was the point of the OP?

12. Farsight

I did, in post #7, but it got lost in the wash as the usual suspects trashed the thread.

13. The God Valued Senior Member

Yes, Yes, I missed that. Infact I would consider it force in either direction, up direction work is required to be done, and dn direction momentum of the falling object increases.

14. Farsight

You do work on the brick when you lift it up, in that you add energy to it and increase its mass. But gravity doesn't do work on the brick when you drop it. It doesn't add any energy. It just converts potential energy, which is microscopic internal kinetic energy, into macroscopic external kinetic energy, leaving the brick with a mass deficit. Yes, the energy-momentum of the brick increases as it falls down, but this is paid for by the mass deficit. Conservation of energy applies. If you drop a 1kg brick into a black hole, the black hole mass increases by 1kg. Not by 1kg plus the mass-equivalence of the brick's kinetic energy.