Gravity

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by timojin, Jul 21, 2016.

1. timojin Valued Senior Member

All those picture and explanation are nice , but how much is real and how much is imagination ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

It's all currently based knowledge, based on the current laws of physics and GR, and the data received from many state of the art probes.
    Forget the pictures if that's the way you approach science: Read the papers.
    If you prefer imagination and myth, go to the religious forum, or the fringes.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The God Valued Senior Member

Your intrigue is justified. Its a great deal for Paddoboy to write so much without ever studying about magnetic fields or even the basic high school physics. So such novelties do come out.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The God Valued Senior Member

They were actually pointers to you that you are misteaching. You were calling the earth surface as the outside point. Your incredulity was visible on Galaxy spin issue. Calling others trolls and getting couple of stupid likes will not take you anywhere.

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Perhaps you would like to show why and how I am wrong, with a reputable link of course!
    But you won't and you can't!
    Keep trying though!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And your own claims are treated with less then respect I suggest by most on this forum: Those that at least do not have you on ignore.

Let me recap after getting past the nonsensical by our friend.
    [1] The galaxy/s move through the universe according to the laws of gravity:
    [2] BH's of course also move through the universe at incredible speeds, and are a essential part of most galaxies anyway.
    [3]Spinning [Kerr BH,s] can and do, [as per the reputable papers submitted] tend to throw some matter out via the polar regions in what we recognise as polar jets, and as a result of the magnetic fields and field lines that twist with the BH's spin.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1406.4936v3.pdf

10. timojin Valued Senior Member

I don't question the law of physics whatever effect are in space they are real. Our observation at very far distance and the time is relative is large and our human time is very short .
    The problem I have is with the interpretation . There is a variety of theory and interpretation and they change with time .

The God likes this.
  11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

What interpretation?
    The interpretations put on certain issues by some people with agendas?...Or the interpretation put on certain issues due to the desire to chop down the "tall poppies" like Einstein? Or those suffering from delusions of grandeur?
    You do realise that unlike the scientific academia and insititutions, that forums such as this are open to any and all Tom, Dick, and Harry's?
    And you really see any of the said nonsense from our Toms, Dicks and Harry's as surpassing and invalidating what the professionals do?

This is the mainstream science forum, and while a scientific theory is always open for modification, they are also being constantly reinforced. That modification and/or reiforcing will come when necessary from the expert professionals. Not from some of the "would be's if they could be's" that infest this and other science forums.
    Here's some recent advancement in cosmology of late.......
    The confirmed gravitational waves of late are overwhelmingly accepted as another aspect of GR to further strengthen it.
    The BB/Inflationary theory of the evolution of the Universe is as strong as ever, and while there are alternatives, none can yet match all that the BB does.
    The other beautiful aspect of GR and the BB, along with the particle zoo, is how they fit into each other like a hand in a glove, and compliment each other admirably.
    Nothing else does that.
    The theory of evolution of course is one scientific theory that has reached the pinnacle and is 100% beyond doubt, while the others mentioned are not too far behind.
    Newton's law of gravitation holds true on Earth in most normal conditions...Jump up in the air, and guess what? You'll come back down. Near certain don't you agree?
    We have sent space craft such as the two Voyagers to rendezvous with multiple planets, Voyager II with four of them! All based on the current mathematical aspects of the theory of gravity.
    BH's most certainly exist, also according to the same laws. No one as yet [including all our Toms, Dicks and Harrys] been able to describe any other scenario that affects the spacetime and matter/energy the way we have observed it.
    BH's are able to fling out some matter and energy if spinning, due primarily to that spin twisting interacting magnetic field lines that also capture matter/energy and eject them in what we see as the familiar polar jets.
    These are observational data and along with the current known data, enable cosmologists to theorise the most likely concept, not the rhetoric, and unsupported claims denying them from any of those same Toms, Dicks and Harrys!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  12. The God Valued Senior Member

There are two things, I do not know if that can be of any help...

1. Motion of an ejected out BH through space.

2. Motion of Galaxy having a BH its center.

Pl tell me your OP refers to what.

PS : keep improving your pt#3 as you read more, at the end you will realize that spin does not repel. Try seeing angular momentum component is Einstein quations. Well leave that, actually beyond you.

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Actually with regards to the subject of cosmology, I don't believe you have ever been correct in any overall picture. Plenty of evidence supporting that is the fringes.

My OP?? This is not my thread, but yes, both those scenarios are observed and there are already posted papers on them linked by your's truly.
    But again supporting my claim and refuting and deriding your claim........

The continued silleness, obtuseness and obfuscations of your posts are not fooling anyone, and is why people have you on ignore.
    Anyway, here we go again..........

BH's are able to fling out some matter and energy if spinning, due primarily to that spin twisting interacting magnetic field lines that also capture matter/energy and eject them in what we see as the familiar polar jets.

http://chandra.si.edu/chronicle/0105/bh_ce/index.html

How Black Holes Both Consume and Eject Material
    January 5, 2005 ::

Chandra X-ray Image of MS 0735.6+7421
    With the announcement of the most powerful eruption ever witnessed in the Universe in the galaxy cluster MS 0735.6+7421, astronomers are seeing that how supermassive black holes eject matter is just as interesting as how they consume it.

This discovery, as is often the case, leads to more questions: How can black holes eject so much energy and material? Have similar eruptions been seen, or is this some sort a cosmic loner? What does it teach us about supermassive black holes and about the galaxies where they reside?

To begin with, it sounds illogical that black holes could even generate massive eruptions. After all, hasn't it always been said that nothing, not even light, can escape a black hole? This remains true, but only when matter passes inside the "event horizon" of a black hole. This is a black hole's point of no return, when nothing is capable of escaping from its intense gravity. In other words, it's what puts the "black" in "black holes."

Matter that gets close to a black hole but remains outside the event horizon can undergo a very different experience and is sometimes expelled in violent jets. Such jets, probably originating from an energetic, magnetized, spinning disk around the supermassive black hole, produced the enormous cavities seen in MS 0735. The creation of these huge structures is a vivid demonstration of the enormous power that can be generated by supermassive black holes.
    more at link...........

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/news/black-hole-rejects-food.html

NASA's Chandra Observatory Catches Giant Black Hole Rejecting Material
    Astronomers using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory have taken a major step in explaining why material around the giant black hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy is extraordinarily faint in X-rays. This discovery holds important implications for understanding black holes.

New Chandra images of Sagittarius A* (Sgr A*), which is located about 26,000 light-years from Earth, indicate that less than 1 percent of the gas initially within Sgr A*'s gravitational grasp ever reaches the point of no return, also called the event horizon. Instead, much of the gas is ejected before it gets near the event horizon and has a chance to brighten, leading to feeble X-ray emissions.

These new findings are the result of one of the longest observation campaigns ever performed with Chandra. The spacecraft collected five weeks' worth of data on Sgr A* in 2012. The researchers used this observation period to capture unusually detailed and sensitive X-ray images and energy signatures of super-heated gas swirling around Sgr A*, whose mass is about 4 million times that of the sun.

"We think most large galaxies have a supermassive black hole at their center, but they are too far away for us to study how matter flows near it," said Q. Daniel Wang of the University of Massachusetts in Amherst, who led of a study published Thursday in the journal Science. "Sgr A* is one of very few black holes close enough for us to actually witness this process."

The researchers found that the Chandra data from Sgr A* did not support theoretical models in which the X-rays are emitted from a concentration of smaller stars around the black hole. Instead, the X-ray data show the gas near the black hole likely originates from winds produced by a disk-shaped distribution of young massive stars.

"This new Chandra image is one of the coolest I’ve ever seen," said co-author Sera Markoff of the University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands. "We're watching Sgr A* capture hot gas ejected by nearby stars, and funnel it in towards its event horizon."

To plunge over the event horizon, material captured by a black hole must lose heat and momentum. The ejection of matter allows this to occur.

"Most of the gas must be thrown out so that a small amount can reach the black hole", said Feng Yuan of Shanghai Astronomical Observatory in China, the study's co-author. "Contrary to what some people think, black holes do not actually devour everything that’s pulled towards them. Sgr A* is apparently finding much of its food hard to swallow."

The gas available to Sgr A* is very diffuse and super-hot, so it is hard for the black hole to capture and swallow it. The gluttonous black holes that power quasars and produce huge amounts of radiation have gas reservoirs much cooler and denser than that of Sgr A*.

The event horizon of Sgr A* casts a shadow against the glowing matter surrounding the black hole. This research could aid efforts using radio telescopes to observe and understand the shadow. It also will be useful for understanding the effect orbiting stars and gas clouds may have on matter flowing toward and away from the black hole.

NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., manages the Chandra program for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory controls Chandra's science and flight operations from Cambridge, Mass.

The paper is available online at:http://arxiv.org/abs/1307.5845

For Chandra images, multimedia and related materials, visit:http://www.nasa.gov/chandra
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Now remember my friend, when you next want to let the forum know you are always wrong, remember you spell wrong as w-r-o-n-g, not r-i-g-h-t.
    Unless you prefer to say, you never get anything right, then r-i-g-h-t is certainly correct.

And if you need to thank me for my assistance, that's spelt, t-h-a-n-k-s.

15. The God Valued Senior Member

Paddoboy

Pl start a new thread on jets....you have completely cluttered this thread with unnecessary copy pastes.

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The cluttering in fact is your continued nonsensical denial of mainstream facts and the usual poor effort to extract yourself from your mess without needing to admit that once again you are/were wrong.
    And of course the copy n pastes that continue to deride and refute your nonsense will continue as long as is necessary.

17. QuarkHead Remedial Math Student Valued Senior Member

Anyway, as a bit of relief from paddoboy's chest-thumping, and the associated pointless (and uninteresting) bickering, recall I asked the simple question: what is a field line?

I think I may have the answer. ........

Suppose a vector field. Then there will always be a way to construct a curve according to the following rule: choose a point in the field and, for the associated vector "follow the direction that it points" until you get to the next point and repeat, and repeat.....

In mathematics one calls this an integral curve if it at no point vanishes or intersects itself.

Equivalently (and less obviously, perhaps), suppose an arbitrary curve. Then at each point through which this curve passes, there will be a vector which is tangent to this curve. Clearly this curve cannot intersect itself.

In either case, one requires a working definition of a vector field over some manifold, but I strongly suspect that this is what you guys are calling a "field line".

So quit the bluster and the bicker.

dumbest man on earth likes this.
  18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The fact remains that BH's with spin and any magnetic fields, will probably have the now familiar polar jets, that eject away some matter/energy.
    No chest thumping by the way, simply the right to dispute and deride those that come to a science forum with airs of delusions of grandeur and religious agendas, and constantly argue against all scientifically inspired observations and resultant theories.

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Here's another couple of links speaking of "magnetic field lines" and of course spinning [Kerr] BH's

http://arxiv.org/abs/1602.03242

Analytical studies have raised the concern that a mysterious expulsion of magnetic field lines by a rapidly-spinning black hole (dubbed the black hole Meissner effect) would shut down the Blandford-Znajek process and quench the jets of active galactic nuclei and microquasars. This effect is however not seen observationally or in numerical simulations. Previous attempts at reconciling the predictions with observations have proposed several mechanisms to evade the Meissner effect. In this paper, we identify a new evasion mechanism and discuss its observational significance. Specifically, we show that the breakdown of stationarity is sufficient to remove the expulsion of the magnetic field at all multipole orders, and that the associated temporal variation is likely turbulent due to the existence of efficient mechanisms for sharing energy across different modes. Such an intrinsic (as opposed to being driven externally by, e.g., changes in the accretion rate) variability of the electromagnetic field can produce the recorded linear correlation between microvariability amplitudes and mean fluxes, help create magnetic randomness and seed sheared magnetic loops in jets, and lead to a better theoretical fit to the X-ray microvariability power spectral density.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

https://arxiv.org/abs/1604.01898

A strong magnetic field in the jet base of a supermassive black hole

Active galactic nuclei (AGN) host some of the most energetic phenomena in the Universe. AGN are thought to be powered by accretion of matter onto a rotating disk that surrounds a supermassive black hole. Jet streams can be boosted in energy near the event horizon of the black hole and then flow outward along the rotation axis of the disk. The mechanism that forms such a jet and guides it over scales from a few light-days up to millions of light-years remains uncertain, but magnetic fields are thought to play a critical role. Using the Atacama large mm/submm array (ALMA), we have detected a polarization signal (Faraday rotation) related to the strong magnetic field at the jet base of a distant AGN, PKS1830-211. The amount of Faraday rotation (rotation measure) is proportional to the magnetic field strength along the line of sight times the density of electrons. Although it is impossible to precisely infer the magnetic fields in the region of Faraday rotation, the high rotation measures derived suggest magnetic fields of at least tens of Gauss (and possibly considerably higher) on scales of the order of light days (0.01 pc) from the black hole.

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I'm curious how others expect to avail themselves of the facts. If they won't get edumacated themselves on the discussion at-hand, it seems you have little choice but to literally put the facts, in all their glory, right under their nose. And this is somehow your failing??

"It's unfortunate you didn't do your homework yourself. I've put the correct answers on the blackboard."
    "You are bad for putting the answers on the blackboard. You have cluttered up all that space with correct answers."

Kristoffer, Daecon and paddoboy like this.
  21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

That's the way out for cranks and trolls.

22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

2+2=4 is only a theory!
    My opinion is that 2+2=5 - and my opinion is as valid as yours!

And what's wrong with me having my opinion in Math class (science forum)?
    2+2=5 should be right up there alongside 2+2=4 on the blackboard.
    Let's all vote - who thinks 2+2 should be 5!

paddoboy likes this.
  23. timojin Valued Senior Member

paddoboy Adjust your understanding and don't be such a high nose
    A Giant Stellar Void in the Milky Way
    Tue, 08/02/2016 - 11:09amby Royal Astronomical Society
    A major revision is required in our understanding of our Milky Way Galaxy according to an international team led by Prof Noriyuki Matsunaga of the University of Tokyo. The Japanese, South African and Italian astronomers find that there is a huge region around the centre of our own Galaxy, which is devoid of young stars. The team publish their work in a paper in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

The Milky Way is a spiral galaxy containing many billions of stars with our Sun about 26,000 light years from its centre. Measuring the distribution of these stars is crucial to our understanding of how our Galaxy formed and evolved. Pulsating stars called Cepheids are ideal for this. They are much younger (between 10 and 300 million years old) than our Sun (4.6 billion years old) and they pulsate in brightness in a regular cycle. The length of this cycle is related to the luminosity of the Cepheid, so if astronomers monitor them they can establish how bright the star really is, compare it with what we see from Earth, and work out its distance.