guide to interviewing roomates

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by squid, Jun 9, 2004.

1. squid Registered Senior Member

hello,

can you people give me tips on how to interview potential rommates, like what questions to ask, what not to ask, and what kind of personality I should present myself to them? what to tell them if I rejected them? what should I wear, preppy or just plain ol' t-shirt / jeans? etc...

Thanks!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Check the 10 most wanted posters at your local post office to be certain they aren't on it!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

wear what you always wear. it is essential to be yourself so both of you know what you're getting into. you wouldn't want any surprises after co-signing the lease, now would you? make the interview less like a job interview and more like friends sitting down to a cup of coffee or whatever it is you do.

start with basic living conditions:
    cleanliness
    noise
    schedule
    guests/sig others
    promiscuity (innappropriate question in any other situation. in this case it's essential)
    share of chores
    personal belongings
    food (mention special diet and ask if they have one)
    smoking/drugs/alcohol usage
    pets
    contribution to the household (furniture, appliances, other stuff you share)

then determine if your personalities are compatible. you can do that much like a date or meeting any new friend but in the span of about a half hour. make a list of things you would want to know about the person you might be living with. i remember when my roommates and i were interviewing for new roommates we had a list. at the top was "do you eat french fries or freedom fries?" it turned out to be the most important question in picking new roomies.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

Exp[lain to them how hookups like internet and TV will work and what will be shared. If oyu dislike noise or pets, MAKE IT CLEAR or they might try to "sneak" stuff in. If they seem like an odd character that you will not be able to get along with for a long time, then reconsider.