Has geeks become kewl?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by My Sexy Blue Feet, Nov 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. an>roid.v2 Registered Senior Member

So that's a definition: to be incapable of "placing" oneself in the infrastructure hence not being capable of predicting one's actions? How... uncool.

Na -- (and if some geek here could look it up for me) "cool" is to be above the fray -- and to be cool about it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I think thats a good way of putting it, ad>roid.v2. But to rephrase, 'they can't predict how others will react to their actions' because its natural to them.

lostmind,
    A wigger is a person thats thinks they're cool and walks the walk, so to speak, but really isn't.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. an>roid.v2 Registered Senior Member

Yeah -- a wigger (new word for me). Lots of "wiggers" around.

I think of them as bores.

But... a "cool" person doesn't necessarily mean that the person is "technically" agile. I recall looking at picts of war-rampaged communities lost in a heave of desperation and spotting an isolated individual, hidden in a cornor, totally aware of everything, yet inclosed within him/herself; you could just sense the entire chaotic drama calmly in the person's mien... and with downcast eyes, and upheld shoulders, and repressed anger/sadness/futility, I thought... yeah, that guy's cool -- wish I could meet him, and discuss the drama of... horrible death.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. an>roid.v2 Registered Senior Member

BUT -- but cool in cosmopolitan town is aalso to be sexy.

8. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

oh and a cool person, IMO:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

somebody who is secure in their ways. Calm and easygoing. Like android said, they don't have to be 'technically agile'.

9. an>roid.v2 Registered Senior Member

Pixel is sexy -- wonder if *that* *grin* *flips hair* had anything to do with it... (damn, they bloody locked the thread!!! Can you believe it? How uncool.

10. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Don't you really mean: a wigger is a white person who trys to act black? A gangsta-rappa wannabe?

The word, after all, is derived from white nigger...(OK, moderators, censure me if you like).

Or, I suppose the "wannabe" aspect ended when Eminem appeared...

11. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

ahhhh...that would make sense.

I thought it was a modification of 'wig' with an er suffix. But I apply the term to all wannabes, not just gangsters.

The biggest wigger I ever knew was actually asian. A Yigger?

12. outsidethebox Registered Member

wigger is a white.... N***** ya know what im sayin? theres a few where i go to school... its an interesting consept.

13. outsidethebox Registered Member

man... I hate/love highschool... the thing about it is... how do i know what to appreciate and what not to? i've been doing this for 5 years (including middle school, only because mine was with the same kids im with now, and they haven't changed since then, really....)

14. rainbow__princess_4 The Ashtray Girl Registered Senior Member

"computers" as themselves aren't cool. What separates the cool-joe from the nerd is how the computer is used. I use the computer for playin' such fine entertainment games as Harry Potter, The Sims and Where In Time Is Carmen Sandiego?, and also for chatting and scammin' on people. Thus I am uber cool

Nerds however know all this freaky stuff about memory and linking things and cookies and stuff. that's just creepy. no-one should know too much about any one subject. I think that's the difference between "cool" and "nerd" as you put it- the cool person interests everyone, the nerd interests only himself.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Of course. Your surgeron shouldn't know too much about that flesh, blood and organ things.

16. outsidethebox Registered Member

good point.

17. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Good point except that the techology field is advancing
    at so rapid a pace that if you are an expert, you are behind.

:m: Peace.

18. Krazie Registered Senior Member

True...true.

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Depends with who you're on a date.

20. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't mind having a geek-girlfriend whose knowledge of such matters far exceeded my own. Just as long as I knew SOME subjects better than her - then we could have decent 2-way conversations.

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

My girlfriend is ashamed of me because I'm a geek.....

I'm almost dumping her... :bugeye:

Yeah.... I don't know if I can forgive that.....

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yeah... so my answer to the question:
    Has geeks become kewl?
    Is obviously no.

23. Krazie Registered Senior Member

I would love to meet a fine girl that is actually intelligent. That would be nice. I guess you have to go to Harvard or some Ivy leage college to meet a girl like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.