Have you ever experienced euphoria?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Magical Realist, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

What brought it on? Where were you? When? Have you experienced it since then?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

As a tin lid, many times: When I had my first roller coaster ride: my first ghost train ride, etc etc:
    As I grew up, with my first girl friend,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Owning an driving my first car at eighteen years......
    When I boarded as a crew member, a Square rigged, three masted Barquentine in Cristobal, Panama in 1974 for a 4 month journey across the Pacific to Sydney.:
    When my first child was born.
    I have had many euphoric moments.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Prolly when i was 6 an seein the presents that Santa Claus had left under the tree.!!!

Ever year on the day when school let out for the summer.!!!

Beginin wit my first real job of pickin cucumbers -- quitin an goin to a beter job... an doin the same thang wit other jobs about 9 times... the last time bein about 19 years ago.!!!

In between switchin jobs above... gettin married... buyin a trailer... an 5 years later sellin the trailer wit the ground i put it on an buyin a house... an 3 years later when we paid off the house.!!!

Closed on the deal to buy a small bidness... an then sellin it about 20 years later.!!!

The offical day me an wife retired.!!!

Now im to old to endure euphorias... so i just spend time doin what i love... which is doin what i want when i want

How about you MR.???

Magical Realist likes this.
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Christmas mornings finding what Santa brought.

Early mornings getting in the station wagon with my family to go on vacation to camp by a river.

Last day in the military.

Moving to Portland.

Right before a big dark cold front hits when I lived in Texas. The energy is amazing!

Seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time.

8. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

Yes. 'Orrible.

9. kx000 Valued Senior Member

I have experienced nirvana before. I can create essence of things like gnosis, time, or happiness. If your content you have access joy when ever you want.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I've told the story here several times. I was basically obsessed with Zen Buddhism from 14-20. At 20 I was sitting in my car at lunch from a temp job (repetitive, almost meditative data entry) reading Alan Watts' The Way of Zen when I turned a page and the next one was blank. My mind emptied at the same time, and I felt an indescribable ecstasy. I put the book down, drove over to the mall and walked around deliriously happy, feeling literally like there was an inch of air between my feet and the ground. I was weirdly weightless. The feeling lasted long into the evening, and still comes back now and then.

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Prayer and meditation can bring about a state of ''euphoria,'' depending on if I'm capable of truly emptying my mind or not of the day's thoughts, stresses, etc.

12. ForrestDean Registered Senior Member

What brought it on?
    Projection of consciousness.

Where were you?
    In bed. Physical body completely asleep while my mind is consciously awake and aware.

When?
    January 26, 2001

Have you experienced it since then?
    Yes, countless times.

13. birch Valued Senior Member

Of course most have experienced euphoria but it usually doesnt last. Lasting euphoria or some semblance of it would be a life-changing positive event.

Euphoria is a baseline of peace mixed with energy, inspiration, enlightenment sometimes with motivation and a sense of direction. The last ingredient would make it awesome if its both positive and doable to manifest or grow.

That said, often some people become misguided as to what true happiness is which they often confuse with 'elation' or euphoria chasing it as some symbol of fulfillment. Its just as unhealthy as any extreme just as depression is. So those who constantly seek a 'high' as a baseline or equilibrium are doomed to always be unhappy or discontent. Relative peace should be a baseline of contentment and occasionally there will be bursts of energy or euphoria, elation, etc from breakthroughs, enlightenment, experiences etc but always return to peace where you can digest it and put into perspective, not go up and down like a yoyo, either extreme up or down which is more like insanity or stressful.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    cluelusshusbund likes this.
  14. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Hmmmm....I have not sought "euphoria" explicitly, but I do pretty much all of those things and more every day. I attempt to live mindfully and to always be in the moment. My perception is that I experience a gamut of normal human feelings but that my base emotion is joy. I deliberately induce joy as soon as possible each and every day no matter the circumstances.

Good book, that, Spidey. Me too. A bunch of other thinkers along those lines as well. "Satori" is what he called it, another word for enlightenment.

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It's an interesting question because by the dictionary definition, euphoria is not entirely uncommon; indeed, being aware that such a state exists in the Universe, I consider it fundamental to the human endeavor.

I'm uncertain how to address the question insofar as there are too many answers to any of the interrogative aspects. Indeed, I'm more fascinated by my perception that the question considers euphoria somehow rare, and how we contextualize the definition of rarity.

16. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I had a dream when I was a teenager. The feeling was like nothing else I had ever experienced before or since. It was heavenly, I'm certain.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm convinced there isn't such a thing. Sure, it's a relief when internally created burdens are lifted. But what's left? Not some special state of mind, just our natural state.

18. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

In my experience, there is an "aha!" moment when something falls into perspective, and it stays there afterwards. Like standing on the shore of Lake Superior and seeing the curvature of our planet on the horizon. I experience a new feel/perspective/understanding/enlightenment for the scale of our planet in relation to me. I am crystal clear that I am a very small thing standing on a huge ball. That stays with me afterwards.

I wish that our 'natural state' was mindfulness, but I observe that it is not.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure what mindfulness is. I find the natural state more appropriately called mindlessness. There are thoughts, but there is no mind. When the thoughts are over, nothing remains.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

21. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

OK, close enough. I'll buy that, Spidey.