Help me. Thank you.

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Oniw17, Nov 23, 2013.

  1. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

    I know you guys don't usually do this, but I've been a member here for a while, and this seems like the right section. Now, I've finally decided to pursue a higher education. I would eventually like to study genetics. I have a relatively high IQ(138, averaged, as of 2007) and a ninth grade education(with a GED). I've always scored high on any assessment test I've ever taken. These include the ACT, the GED test, the ASVAB, and the SAT(which I took only about a year ago). I can do most math, but it may take a while, and I might have to look up a symbol or term or 2. I've really only ever been taught up to the basics of trigonometry, and my memory is probably just a bit in need of freshening up. Science-wise, I'd like to think I'm pretty well-versed in physics, with the exception of quantum physics. Even with that though, I understand the basic concepts. I can hold a conversation about biology, but not with a geneticist. I guess you could easily just say I know all the basics, and figure things out rather quickly, but I still only have a ninth grade education. So, I was wondering if anyone could tell me where would be a good place to start with my pursuit? And just to clarify, I'm not referring to a location when I use the word place.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

    to hide all adverts.
  3. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

    In what country do you live?
    First - you need to establish the entry requirements into an appropriate university degree.
    Use Google to find courses at universities close to you, or where you might relocate. (I don't expect you can do a complete genetics course off-campus.)
    The best way to do this is to call a university admissions department, ask them what the requirements are, and how to meet those requirements from your current position.
    This will probably involve doing a bridging course of some kind over a couple of years (guessing) (this might also result in a high-school certificate).

    You can do this. It will take some years. It will be worth it. If you need help, please ask.

    Edit - your profile says NY, so maybe start here:
    NYU Biology department:
    And here:
    NYU undergrad admissions: Non-Traditional Applicants
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

    to hide all adverts.
  5. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

    OK. If you are indeed in the USA the place to start a higher education is a Junior College. These are much more common and much less expensive than a university. There is very likely a junior college near you that will fill the bill and get you started as many counties have one. You will be required to take what is called a "core curriculum" in order to pursue any degree program so take those classes at the junior college. This will acclimatize you to institutions of higher learning and get you into the flow of university life. As you advance your goals will firm up and you will be enabled to choose an appropriate major when you move on to a university. Many junior colleges are are associated with nearby universities so moving on to u after jc is easy.
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

    to hide all adverts.

Share This Page