Help with English

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Saint, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Saint Valued Senior Member

sexting = new English word?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's slang: a combination of "sex" with "texting." It means to send someone a text message (by phone, e-mail or other electronic means) that is about sex, such as suggesting intercourse. But it also is used for explicit photos of nudity, body parts, or actual intercourse.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Saint Valued Senior Member

historic vs historical.
    Same meaning?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Not the same, although often used incorrectly as though synonymous.

Historic is an adjective that means something significant / important in the past. E.g. The election was an historic upset.

Historical means "of or relating to history" but does not need to refer only to important events or things.
    E.g. Someone may sell historical documents - I.e. Documents that were written in the past.
    Or read an historical novel - I.e. A book about/set in a period of history etc.
    It is used usually when referring to pre-modern times rather than simply a past event, a period of time we would refer to as history rather than simply the recent past.

sideshowbob likes this.
  8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

And that distinction varies widely from one culture to another. In my experience, when most Americans say "the recent past," they refer to events and conditions which were personally experienced by people who are alive today, and, therefore, can talk about their own experiences.

For example, there are only a few people who were alive during World War I--centenarians all-- and only a handful of them are in good enough mental and physical health to remember the era well and to speak about it coherently. So, personally, I would consign WWI to the category of "history."

WWII, on the other hand, is still the "recent past." At 73, I was born a few years before it ended, so I have no first-hand knowledge. But with advances in medical care, the environment and safety at home and on the job, today there are tens of thousands of people in their 90s who remember that war clearly, and thousands with three-digit ages who still have good cognitive abilities.

But in some other countries and cultures, people take a much longer or shorter view of history. Most of the Jewish people I know put the cutoff at the founding of the modern nation of Israel in 1948, giving Jews their own country, ruled by their own people. On the other hand, many Chinese and Japanese people see history as a continuum going back two or three millennia, to an era when most of the cities in Europe hadn't even been built yet.

9. Saint Valued Senior Member

Blink = mean what in this context?

10. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

The context is a staring contest... Two people sit opposite each other and stare at each other.
    He who blinks first loses.

I'm sure there may be a more official etymology for the idiom, but I like this one.
    There was a great Monty Python sketch about it as well. Look it up on YouTube.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Saint Valued Senior Member

Now many wireless charger is called "Qi charger".
    Is Qi an English word?

12. geordief Valued Senior Member

Not the "nudge nudge blink blink" one is it ?

No ,I can't find it . Any clues? Search terms for youtube?

13. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Doh! my mistake. it was Big Train...

I think I confused it with some of Gilliam‘s stuff. (Sorry)

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

"Qi" is a Chinese word. It's pronounced "chee" in Mandarin and "hei" in Cantonese.

Look up "Qi" in Wikipedia.org ... It shows the written form of the word, which I cannot display here. I'm sure you'll recognize it.

15. Saint Valued Senior Member

1. It started to rain at 5 pm ago.
    2. It started raining at 5 pm ago.
    Which is more correct?

3. 5pm or 5 pm ?

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

5 space pm. Also, eliminate the word ago, it's not used with a specific time, just a quantity of time, like 5 minutes ago.

17. Saint Valued Senior Member

wharf = jetty ?

18. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

No.
    A wharf is a structure protruding into the water specifically for boats to moor - for loading / unloading etc.
    A jetty is a structure protruding into the water with the main purpose of protecting the harbour / shore from the effect of tides, storms, currents, erosion etc.

A jetty can also double as a wharf, though.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

As Spider explained, the word "ago" should not be in that sentence.

The correct sentence is: "It started to rain at 5pm."

"Ago" must be preceded with a word or phrase that expresses a period of time passing:
    • I learned to speak Mandarin 45 years ago.
    • Humans learned to domesticate animals and cultivate plants about 12,500 years ago, allowing them to build permanent settlements.
    • A long time ago, people thought the Earth was flat.

20. Saint Valued Senior Member

Can I say:
    Previously at 5 pm, it started to rain.

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yes, but you need a comma after "previously," and in any case, this is a very awkward sentence. "Previously" means "sometime in the past, while "at 5pm" refers to a SPECIFIC moment in the past. There is no reason for saying "previously," which is a VAGUE description, when you intend to say immediately "at 5pm," which is a SPECIFIC description.

You can say, "Previously, it started to rain," which means that it began to rain at some time in the past.

You can say, "At 5pm, it started to rain," which means that it began to rain at 5pm and it is now LATER than 5pm.

But you should not say, "Previously, at 5pm, it started to rain." You are telling us that the rain began more-or-less exactly at 5pm. So there's no reason to say "previously." We already know that it happened previously, because you told us the specific time when it happened!

22. Saint Valued Senior Member

My son is still indulged in playing video game though tomorrow is his term examination, he couldn't care less than ignoring his study.

Is it correct to use "couldn't care less" here?

23. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

My son still indulges in playing video games, though tomorrow is his term examination. He couldn't care less about ignoring his study.